Why become a member? ×

5 string PJ sets - reasonably priced?

TRBboy

Hey folks, 

I'm hoping to start a build soon with the help of a local luthier I've found recently. It's definitely going to be a 5 string, and ideally I'd like it to be PJ config, but they're seems to be such little choice around? I want the bass to be passive, so that rules out EMGs, and apart from that there only seems to be Aguilars which are pretty pricey! 

Just wondered if anyone knows of any decent, reasonably priced PJ sets? 

Many thanks

Don't know about "reasonably priced", but Bill Lawrence pups are good and the P46 will handle 4-6 strings.

https://www.wildepickups.com/products/p-46

https://www.wildepickups.com/products/j-45l

I've not used the J pup, but I have a P46 and it's really cool.

You could also ask Jess & www.JLGuitars.com if he can make a set for a 5er

Edited by Grangur
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I have to say - the Aguilars are fantastic. The 60s wind P pickup in particular is just lovely.

Definitely my favourite P pickup.

I've not played them, just heard them and I must say they sound very good.... Maybe worth the expense! 

Edited by TRBboy

16 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

In the same ballpark IIRC

Well I would absolutely give Aaron Armstrong a shout. He can wind the pickups to your specs too, or even just your sonic preference, and I expect he'll be cheaper than Aguilar and Nordstrand.

Eude

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I have to say - the Aguilars are fantastic. The 60s wind P pickup in particular is just lovely.

Definitely my favourite P pickup.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Aguilar-AG-5P-JHC-5-String-Hum-Canceling-P-J-Bass-Pickups-SET/12K0?msclkid=e73fb1eb03ee146d4065eed8c7624200&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DSA | All Website&utm_term=gear4music&utm_content=DSA - All Website

£259 as set for 5 string PJ set

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grangur said:

The lowest price seems to be about £239 from some quick googling, or there's @walshy's brand new set in the classifieds for a bit less. 

I think I'm going to email Aaron Armstrong first though, and just see wear he can offer and for how much. 

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

The lowest price seems to be about £239 from some quick googling, or there's @walshy's brand new set in the classifieds for a bit less. 

I think I'm going to email Aaron Armstrong first though, and just see wear he can offer and for how much. 

Aye, reduced to £180 inc delivery now 😉

• Like 1

Still struggling to find much that's suitable for 18mm spacing, aside from some custom built Armstrong. 

Off the wall idea maybe, but is it worth me looking at a set of Big Splits? They're definitely 18mm string spacing, and my impression is they'd give the kinda tone I'm after? 

Just now, TRBboy said:

Still struggling to find much that's suitable for 18mm spacing, aside from some custom built Armstrong. 

Off the wall idea maybe, but is it worth me looking at a set of Big Splits? They're definitely 18mm string spacing, and my impression is they'd give the kinda tone I'm after? 

Big Splits would certainly get you close. From what I've read, they're kinda like a P Bass and a Jazz had a BIG baby, if that makes sense?

I think live, or in a mix, most would struggle to tell yh difference. The only obvious issue would be the aesthetic, if you wanted a PJ look.

Eude

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, eude said:

Big Splits would certainly get you close. From what I've read, they're kinda like a P Bass and a Jazz had a BIG baby, if that makes sense?

I think live, or in a mix, most would struggle to tell yh difference. The only obvious issue would be the aesthetic, if you wanted a PJ look.

Eude

Thanks man, yeah that's kinda what I thought. The aesthetic isn't a big issue for me, but I do want the tone to be fairly trad/vintage but maybe with a kick up the bum! 

The other option is just to go Jazz, there's waaaay more choice 5 string jazz pickups than there is PJ. But I know I really enjoyed that P pickup on thy Yamaha BB435 I had! Hence why I'm considering the big splits I guess, a bit of a 'best of both'? 

48 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

What will your string spacing be at the point where you mount the pickup?

It will be narrower than at the bridge.

I'm not entirely sure to be quite honest, but string spacing is usually referred to as the spacing at the bridge, so I guess the pickup pole spacing is calculated based on that. I know what you're getting at though, I think.