Why become a member? ×

Ashdown OriginAL valve preamp/DI

Merton

7 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

I've been trying my Original with my HX Stomp lately. What I found is that with the valve on, it has some high end that I don't like very much. However, combined with a cab simulation or IR, it sounds pretty amazing.

Just the clean channel sounds pretty good too. Really underrated pedal. And prices are going down.

How do you combine it with the HX are you putting the Al in the Stomp's effects loop?

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

How do you combine it with the HX are you putting the Al in the Stomp's effects loop?

Yes! I have it in the loop. Then, I have an IR in a parallel path, splitting the signal of the AL, one going without any more effects and one with an IR. It sounds really good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Greetings and a very Happy New Year to you lot. Here's hoping that 2022 is a great deal better than the catastrophic year that 2021 was. 

My missus blessed me with the OriginAl for Christmas. As we were with family up in t'North for the last week, I've only just now been able to get 5 minutes to play with the unit. Now, I'm very much a first impressions kinda chap. If I don't get the hair standing up within a few minutes, I move on. 

Well, I had a few minutes, then a few minutes more... No hair standing.... 

Buuuuuuuuuuuut.... 

Then I realised that I was hearing the Ashdown sound, nothing more, nothing less. Then I got it. It's the classic Ashdown sound in a pedal format. It delivers 100% that classic sound.

It is more subtle than I was expecting, but it's all in how powerful the mids are. The bass and treble tame the tone more than scope it, while the mids do a lot of the heavy lifting. 

The overdive....? I think it's safe to say that I'm a bit of a drive snob. I like precious little in the drive arena. The EBS multdrive being probably the best I've heard (for the record, I absolutely cannot stand anything in the D@rkgl@ss ilk). I've read a fair bit that some recommend swapping out the tube for something more subtle, and going on what I've just heard, I'd say that's probably a fair assumption. Having said that, I'm not going to be sweating it... 

I wanted Ashdown at my feet, and I've got it. Tomorrow I'll put this through its paces running into my Ashdown Retroglide head into the two 210 cabs. I play with the graphic flat, so I'm guessing things can only be bigger and better with the OriginAL up front. 

More to cone... 

Glassmoon aka Julian 

• Like 4

You’ve hit the nail on the head there @glassmoon- it’s the Ashdown sound in a pedal. The tube drive is a bit shite unless you tame it, I’ve learnt that limiting the input gain helps a lot. I keep contemplating the Laney Digbeth preamp pedal but then I use this again and remember why I like it so much.

Edited by Merton
Grammar innit
  • Like 1

Yeah @Merton, I agree that the input gain plays a massive role in how the drive sounds. It's definitely not an ABM preamp, which is a pity (IMHO). I've owned a few ABM heads (and would still own were they not so heavy) and I never found the drive so dependant on the input gain. I've no experience with the other heads, besides my Retroglide, so I don't know if the input gain influences the drive on those heads, or not. I'd be interested to know.

But this is the best sounding preamp I've owned, and I've owned the MXR M81, Aguilar Tone Hammer, Fender Downtown Express, Radial Bassbone and a couple of others. Only the MXR was as transparent (again, just my opinion). I think this is a keeper....

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I can get the OriginAL to sound very near to how I have my ABM600, it’s not exactly there but fairly close. Like most I don’t use the drive. I wish it worked from batteries as well as PSU though.

Hey @Lozz196- happy new year mate!

Quick one, what settings do you use for your clean?

59 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

Hey @Lozz196- happy new year mate!

Quick one, what settings do you use for your clean?

Happy new year.

Looking at the settings as minutes on the clock they’re:

Shape Engaged

B38, LM40, M45, HM55, T25

That gets me pretty near to my ABM sound, which is a scooped rock type sound.

Should add, this of course is with a Precision which is fully loaded with mids so although might look uberscooped in audible terms it’s not as much as it appears.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Happy new year.

Looking at the settings as minutes on the clock they’re:

Shape Engaged

B38, LM40, M45, HM55, T25

That gets me pretty near to my ABM sound, which is a scooped rock type sound.

Should add, this of course is with a Precision which is fully loaded with mids so although might look uberscooped in audible terms it’s not as much as it appears.

Wow, very lean on the low end, eh? My bass is at least at 10 past hahaha

But that's awesome. Thanks nate, much appreciated 👏

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Well engaging the Shape does add a fair bit of low end in, but yeah I’m not one for the reggae boom, doesn’t fit the music I do.

I've played with the Shape, and I find I can't quite make it up with the high mids - so I will just boost a little onboard too - besides, disco and funk is not all boom is it hahahaha

• 1 month later...

I have recently bought an Ashdown Triple Shot and I had the same feelings I had when I bought the OriginAL. Minor flaws but overall good sound. I have been using my OriginAL for a year now and soundguys have always approach me to tell me how good the sound was and how easy was to EQ my bass. I have used the preamp with my pedalboard in a rock situation and sounded good. I have used it with just a tuner for some old school acoustic band and it sounded awesome. However, when people talk about preamps they never think of this amazing pedal. What is more, I have been using a Markbass amp in some situations and a friend (who is also a good bassist) said "oh, you have finally stop using Ashdown. Good for you. You will see that they were not that good". I don't know why they have that reputation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, javi_bassist said:

I don't know why they have that reputation.

Perhaps they have the same reputation as that once held by (classic) Trace Elliot.  I remember well (back in South Africa) how so many bassists absolutely hated TE kit... yet would quite happily gear that I thought was awful. Lids for pots i say.  IMHO Ashdown is amazing.  I've played with the EQ on the OriginalAL a lot since my last post here, and while I am not blown away or dazed by the splendor of its tone, I am never found wanting.  It just "does" what it says on the tin.  Could it push some more out?  Sure.  Does it realistically need to?  Probably not.

My 10c on Mark Bass is best left for another forum hahahaha

• Like 1

My only wish for the OriginAL is that it could run on batteries. The last gig I played there`s no way I would have been able to get to the plug sockets to either unplug something or plug a PSU in, so my Sansamp gets the gigs even though I far prefer the OriginAL.

2 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

I guess it's because of the tube. The power requirements are also high: 18-15V 400mA

Yeah - it's odd that the unit came with a 15 and not at 18V supply - and that Ashdown themselves said use the 15v???

8 minutes ago, Merton said:

I use 18V for mine, it’s fine. Still works great for me for my various rock bands, just wish the valve drive was a bit tamer as getting a light overdriven tone is bloody hard 😂

I could not agree with you more on the valve point.  It is unusable IMO

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

You have to play with the input gain. I also changed the valve

Yeah, it’s a balancing act of input gain and valve drive but it should have more lower gain range I think. I tried changing the valve and it did flip all.

A former Ashdown employee had an interesting name for this pedal. I couldn’t possibly repeat it here 🤓

• Like 1

I have played with the input gain and that did work for sure... I just find it very harsh and barky in drive mode.  I am not the biggest fan of drive to be fair, but when I do like it, and were I to use it, I would definitely prefer a smoother, more "even" drive - something like the D@rkgl@ss Classic Microtubes.  I saw a YooChoob clip of Steve Lawson demoing his board and the drive is smooooooooooooooooth.... 

Anyone wanna buy an OrigionAl?  Or trade hahahaha