Why become a member? ×

New Zoot ZB-1000 Custom

Bass Culture

• 5 months later...

Wow, just wow. This is one looker, and that it also delivers tones makes it something else. Floored....great work @Cosmicrain!

I have to mention that Veijo concocted a 5-string version of the MB-1E solely for my experimental 34" 5-string SB-1000/R150. Solid meaty tone to kick your doors in before you even pair it with the preamp! Veijo is also making MB-J repros, which would be a really cool idea to combine with the BB preamp, especially since that never existed in the original Aria Pro II lineup. I'd imagine that some work changing values in the filter would be a rabbithole and a half given the palette a Jazz type bass begins with....

IMG_9449.thumb.JPG.423c39ebea8682ca1a0bcf80e1297d68.JPG

The bottom line is, I copied. Mike made it his own and then some.

• Like 4

• 10 months later...
On 21/11/2020 at 00:48, Bass Culture said:

Big shout out to Veijo at Rautia for this - I know he's got a pretty substantial backlog he's working through but it looks as though the bass will be finished in time for my trip down south at Christmas.  I've heard so much about these pickups, I'm really looking forward to hearing it installed, especially in combination with Mike's recreated Varitone 6-way selector and the Prostheta Noisekiller pre-amp.  Thanks @Cosmicrainfor posting the update. :)

A bit late to the party, I realise.  But Kent Armstrong did the originals for Aria and Aaron still has the Alembic licensed moulds stashed away in his storeroom somewhere.  

Hmmm, interesting.  The Rautia was the one that got the most love on the Aria SB Facebook users page and was felt to be the most authentic generally.  Mind you, I don't recall any particularly negative comments about the Armstrong pickup.

1 hour ago, Bass Culture said:

Hmmm, interesting.  The Rautia was the one that got the most love on the Aria SB Facebook users page and was felt to be the most authentic generally.  Mind you, I don't recall any particularly negative comments about the Armstrong pickup.

Well look at it this way, whatever the merits of Rautia might be...the Armstrong pick up is the real deal. 

• Like 1

I had  Armstrongs in my  twin pup  SB900 when then original 80's one died on the treble side.  They are superb, they were cheaper than Rautia, and had them in 2 weeks, as opposed to 3 months

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fleabag said:

I had  Armstrongs in my  twin pup  SB900 when then original 80's one died on the treble side.  They are superb, they were cheaper than Rautia, and had them in 2 weeks, as opposed to 3 months

I Have a customer who owns four Aria's and every one of them I have at some stage changed the pickups to the Armstrong versions.  My customer seems to love them.

• Like 1