Why become a member? ×

New Zoot ZB-1000 Custom

Bass Culture

I've discussed this briefly with Veijo, because I am also having a large quantity of back orders to fulfil. It seems that quarantine, lockdown or layoffs have given people a lot of time and an excuse to restore their instruments. Since we're both in Finland and see a lot of each other's customers, we see this happen pretty similarly. As much as it sounds biased, I would advise emailing Veijo and asking about lead times. It's worth the wait, especially since Aaron doesn't actually put any effort into reproducing the internal characteristics of the pickups; unless this has changed, he simply puts in "a couple of standard coils" to a mould and makes the whole thing out of epoxy. Veijo vacuum-forms the cases. I'm sure Aaron's pickups are good - don't get me wrong here - however I don't think I could vouch for their accuracy as a like-for-like retrofit. Ultimately, if payment method is a bugbear then sure, go with what works. My PayPal account is still technically a UK one even though I've lived here ten years now. You're right about the gifting money bit though, @RichardH; buyer protection is worth the money if the seller isn't reputable or known to the wider community.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cosmicrain said:

Delivery today from Carl (Prostheta) of 2 X BB noise killer pre's 2 X harnesses and 2 X jacks.   Many thanks Carl for your quick service from Finland.  I'm looking forward to making the Varitone switch/s to marry up with these.  One set is for Marks bass (as being discussed here) and the other set is a spare set for me to play with in the workshop (possibly to make another Zoot Bass ZB1000.

MN201.jpg

Wow, that was pretty quick turnaround given the strangeness that seems to be enveloping the world these days! Despatched on Sunday, arrives on a Friday? Whatever is the world coming to?

Edited by Prostheta
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since my last update, mainly due to Covid-related delays.  Anyway, after some months waiting for the outstanding Hipshot order that my custom stuff was on, it finally turned.  Can you spot the obvious mistake anyone? 

HS1

Anyone who answered 'they've only sent you 3 f**king tuners for your 4 string bass gets a gold star!  Anyway, that was a few weeks ago so hopefully the missing one will show up before too much longer.  Which gives me time to throw in some of the latest work on the headstock, which we're capping with a veneer to match the body wood.  Here goes:

MNB1 MNB2 MNB3 MNB4

I don't know yet if the capped head stock is going to look classy or simply 'a bit much'.  Time, I think, will tell...

• Like 2

Seems Mr Walsh has been a hive of activity recently!  Thanks for these latest updates @Cosmicrain.

001 002 003 004 005 006 007

I find the build process so fascinating.  Especially seeing as I have nothing like the skills needed to ever do anything like this myself.  It's really starting to come together and is meeting the brief exactly as I hoped.

Edited by Bass Culture
Typos
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Well today I had a delivery from Finland.  A brilliant hand made pair of Aria SB-1000 pickups, and a delivery of Jascar gold fret wire.  One of the pickups is for Marks Zoot ZB-1000 custom build (as is the gold fret wire), the other pickup is to go into my stock in-case anyone else facies a Zoot with an Aria flavour.

MNP0001.jpg

MNP0002.jpg

MNP0003.jpg

• Like 4

Big shout out to Veijo at Rautia for this - I know he's got a pretty substantial backlog he's working through but it looks as though the bass will be finished in time for my trip down south at Christmas.  I've heard so much about these pickups, I'm really looking forward to hearing it installed, especially in combination with Mike's recreated Varitone 6-way selector and the Prostheta Noisekiller pre-amp.  Thanks @Cosmicrainfor posting the update. :)

Edited by Bass Culture
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Cosmicrain said:

Gold fret wire..................... Jescar FW55090 EVO   Mark was looking for something different this time, so he asked me to fit some EVO gold frets.

Mark1.jpg

Mark2.jpg

Mark3.jpg

Ooooh, you bugger Mike - you didn't tell me you were updating the thread! 😁  Very happy with these.  And I think we chose the right sized dots too!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bass Culture said:

Ooooh, you bugger Mike - you didn't tell me you were updating the thread! 😁  Very happy with these.  And I think we chose the right sized dots too!

Yes, I'm also pleased with the way the fingerboard has taken up the oil finish.  Against the Gold frets I think it looks fab.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More work done to the custom "roasted Maple/Purple heart" neck for Marks Zoot ZB-1000 custom build.  Mark asked me to do a soft 'V' profile at the nut end of the neck running into a flattened 'C' profile at the heal end.  Sort of like a vintage Wal feel at the nut end morphing into a modern 'C' at the body end.  I have now done the basic shaping to achieve this,  and I'm pleased to report that it all went swimmingly well, a good result all round.

MNRN2.jpg

MNRN7.jpg

MNRN6.jpg

MNRN5.jpg

MNRN8.jpg

MNRN1.jpg

MNRN3.jpg

Edited by Cosmicrain
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1