Why become a member? ×

What's your fantasy Lotto jackpot bass gear shopping list?

Painy

I had a bit of a windfall a couple of years ago. Up until then I'd usually been pretty prudent with my money and bought basses secondhand.

But with the money now available, I didn't go crazy. My luxury bass was a new Fender Precision Elite, which set me back £1,900, which for me, is a lot for a bass.

As far as amps are concerned I went totally mental and, as I love Ashdown stuff, I bought a secondhand Ashdown ABM Evo III, off ebay for £134.

Edited by gjones

Money no object? OK...

Basses:

Rickenbacker 4003 Midnight Blue / Walnut / Jetglo / Mapleglo

Warwick Star Bass (German built, wide neck)

Guild B302

Gibson Victory Custom or Artist

Amp/Cab:

Tech21 VT500

Ashdown CTM300

Barefaced 2x10 cab (x2)

Pre Amp:

Line6 Helix or Helix LT Floor

This list is not exhaustive, and is subject to change without prior notice.

I'm not really a gear enthusiast :o, only own budget gear, and don't have an upgrade path in mind.

So off the top of my head and within the rules:

Bass: I'd get a top of the range Fender Precision

Amp: I'd get an easy to carry Markbass combo or somesuch.

In real life, as some others have said, I would prioritise aquiring a sound-proof music making space of my own. Then fill it with my existing gear plus some budget stuff to fill the gaps ........... drum kit (acoustic if the soundproofing is good enough, other wise mesh electronic), Lap top,a few mics, small budget valve guitar combo - all aimed at home recording, or having people round for a jam.

But probably would not care much about getting any top of the range stuff (at least that what's I think now.... but once the money is burning a hole in my pocket, who knows?!)

Monet, sorry, money is not an object. (A Monet is.)

1) a studio 

2) needed equipment

3) a selection of materials

4) visiting luthiers, like Patrice, Rob, Nobuaki, Joe, Joey, Michael, Roger and so on.

Extra material could be sold in auction every now and then, if the playability or any other feature was limited...

All I'd need is a Stingray and a  Fender Jazz or Overwater J Series in natural finish and any one of the Jaydee Supernaturals, I'm not fussed which one. Amp-wise I'm a convert to Phil Jones combos so summat like the BG 110 would be nice

I did think I'd be happy with my 3 sub £500 Corts and Sterling but I've got that itch, for those ones above, that I can't scratch and get rid of even though commonsense tells me what I have do the job just fine.

Edited by Barking Spiders

I'm quite into Phil Jones Bass.. so I'd have a couple of these C8 cabinets, with something more powerful than my current D-400 (!)

Then, I might phone J D and ask him nicely to re-create my 1st "Roadie" Bass - in tobacco sunburst - and pay him literally MILLIONS to build it in less than 18-months...

image.png.eca30f29ba9cf21441c8cd8787228956.png

• Like 2

As someone who prefers older gear I've pretty much excluded myself from the fun on this one.  Straight off I can't think of any new guitars or basses I'd buy.

If I was pushed to choose amps I'd probably say an Orange AD200 head and cab or Marshall VBA400 and cab.

We were talking about 'if I won the Lottery' today at work.  Strangely, none of the people I work with mentioned a single piece of gear!

53 minutes ago, inthedoghouse said:

As someone who prefers older gear I've pretty much excluded myself from the fun on this one.  Straight off I can't think of any new guitars or basses I'd buy.

Me too. I'm pretty happy with what I have. Being ancient, I've worked up to the point where I've got the stuff I like. I guess if money was no object, I'd look for a really nice vintage P bass, but that would be about it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Me too. I'm pretty happy with what I have. Being ancient, I've worked up to the point where I've got the stuff I like. I guess if money was no object, I'd look for a really nice vintage P bass, but that would be about it.

4 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

1) Spector NS2 in gloss black with gold hardware

2) Ampeg SVT 50th Anniversary head

3) Ampeg heritage B15

Yep, pretty much suns me up too.  I'd have a vintage P and an EB3 but I can't think of any other basses.  Ah, maybe I'd have a Status Buzzard, just for the Ox factor.

Something like this, perhaps:

https://shop.warwick.de/en/instruments/electric-basses/warwick-custom-shop/triumph-models/17266/warwick-custom-shop-triumph-4-string-orange-racing-stripe-design-18-3738?c=3734

...far too expensive for any circumstance other than a lottery win (about £6-7k IIRC). 
I've got the amplification I need, but might also buy one of these.

https://philjonesbass.net/cms/index.php/product_bg-200/

I'd go for an extremely tasteful but subdued  Series II Short Scale Stanley Clarke style custom 4 string alembic. Get them to find me some incredible woods from the private stock and  get a guitar made from the same wood  but different body styles.  

A Helix, an Axe FX,  Greenboy speaker cabinets 2 F-110's & 2 F112's, (there's a licensed builder in Bucks County Pennsylvania, right across the Delaware River from Central New Jersey, USA, where I live), some kind of power amps (maybe QSC), and as far as a bass, since that is part of this fantasy requirement, a NS EUB (5-string). But really the first purchase would be a sequestered house w/ barn so my girlfriend and I could get out of our apartments, set up studio for music and painting (she sings & paints). PRIORITIES

Edited by StickyDBRmf
addition
  • Like 1