Why become a member? ×

I've turned off members "signatures"...

TheGreek

Tried a different method.  Instead of going to the sale item and copying and pasting the URL  , which instantly puts in the annoying underline which appears to be causing the problem,  i've simply typed in my sales,  and now i just have to get them to link.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

Tried a different method.  Instead of going to the sale item and copying and pasting the URL  , which instantly puts in the annoying underline which appears to be causing the problem,  i've simply typed in my sales,  and now i just have to get them to link.  

That's what you need to do. By copying and pasting text which already has code attributes attached to it you are going to run into problems with the current version of the forum software which has been designed to make it easier to apply simple coding attributes without needing to know any actual BBCode. However as soon as you want to do anything a bit more complex, or you want to edit anything that has BBCode already applied to it, then it becomes a problem especially since there is no longer a facility to show the actual code being produced by the forum software on your post. A bit of a backwards step IMO.

• Like 1

Yes, that was the mistake i kept making.  I was using the easiest way to get linked  sales, but wondered why the underline kept appearing and messing up my attempts.  I didnt realise the code was attached to the URL.   All working fine now

14 hours ago, fleabag said:

Yes, that was the mistake i kept making.  I was using the easiest way to get linked  sales, but wondered why the underline kept appearing and messing up my attempts.  I didnt realise the code was attached to the URL.   All working fine now

Personally I think the latest way of applying BBCode when composing a post has been very poorly implemented in the current version of the forum software. It's all very well making things easier for less technical users, but when it also prevents those of us who know what we are doing with BBCode from making simple changes to post with code in it because there is no actual facility to show the code anymore, then that is very much a backwards step.

I could understand if the code view was removed from the mobile version of the forum. It's hard enough to type a simply text reply on a phone or tablet let alone trying to get all the tags properly formatted, but it should still be available to those of us who prefer to use proper computing devices.

2 hours ago, ped said:

I believe there’s a setting to limit signatures now so I’ll take a look. Any suggestions as to the maximum image size and number of lines? Images resize to fit the width I think so height is the most critical 

I would say no more than four lines of standard font plus one headline size font max.. No idea as to what that is in image size,

Edited by Bobthedog

7 minutes ago, ped said:

OK I have set a limit of one image, 468x60. Two links and three lines of text. I'm not sure if it applies retrospectively but let me know - otherwise it'll be new members only...

Looks like it might only be retrospective, otherwise it would affect the "ChangesTwo Bowie" image which exceeds the image size limits.

How is "three lines of text" defined? Because the number of lines is partially a function of how wide the browser window is set. 

On 10/08/2020 at 15:59, fleabag said:

Go to your forum name, top right and click to get drop down box.

You'll see options, one being " ignored users "

Click that, and you get a blank bar at the top to stick a members name in.  Type the name, and they should appear by magic.  As soon as you do, other options appear.  You can then choose from ignore posts, messages,  siganture, mentions.

Just click signatures and you're done.  :)

I've just discovered a quicker way to ignore sigs.   Soon as i  spy a a rediculous one, just hover over their  Avatar, and " ignore user " pops up, and just click that.  The option of what to ignore then appears,  and sig is one of the options.  Bit quicker than my  previous way above

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I've just discovered a quicker way to ignore sigs.   Soon as i  spy a a rediculous one, just hover over their  Avatar, and " ignore user " pops up, and just click that.  The option of what to ignore then appears,  and sig is one of the options.  Bit quicker than my  previous way above

Clicking the small arrow next to the offending sig is the quickest way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Looks like it might only be retrospective, otherwise it would affect the "ChangesTwo Bowie" image which exceeds the image size limits.

How is "three lines of text" defined? Because the number of lines is partially a function of how wide the browser window is set. 

It says: This setting affects the number of new lines the user can create in a signature. A long line of text will automatically break (the point at which the text breaks depends on the width of the user's browser that is viewing the signature), and this is not affected by this setting.

• Like 1