Why become a member? ×

Socially Distanced gigging

FinnDave

Played my third gig in four weeks yesterday - another in a series of free shows in a local park. There were four bands, the volume is kept low to avoid disturbing nearby residents. We use battery powered amps and hand percussion. This weeks saw a step forward in sound quality as one of the guitarists in the band I am playing with has bought a larger battery inverter, so we could use guitar & bass amps with decent speakers. I played through my BF Super Compact, powered by my newly acquired TE Elf - sounded great! Couple of pics attached, the band is the Oxford-based Grateful Dead covers band Franklin's Tower.

117548141_3121222877962714_1639326213046153070_o.jpg

117386410_3121222884629380_5576879619318483519_o.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Did you manage to get any footage of the sound Dave? What batteries were you guys typically using?

I believe there was sound and video recorded. I'd have to ask the guitarists about the battery packs, but I think they are lithium powered small inverters, though one of the guys had just bought a larger one, about the size of a car battery but lighter and with a greater capacity - that was powering the guitar combos and my Elf yesterday.

The PA speakers are apparently powered by internal AA batteries - quite a few, which are often changed.

• Thanks 1

If you've got good eyes, you can just about make out the Elf on top of my Super Compact in the second picture - just below the head of the guitarists Telecaster.

Today's discovery, in trying to have less to carry (as my bag is falling apart and I won't be able to get a new one until later today) I have discovered that the Elf and a tuner will fit in my the pocket of my Hiscox bass case, so my bag only needs the speaker and guitar cables and a mains lead.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this -

Any more information on which inverter set up your guitarist went for Dave?

Some of the cheaper ones I've been looking at seem dubious and I wouldn't trust how "modified" the sinewave they put out is.

The more expensive ones are beyond my means.

Cheers

Thomas

43 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

We're rehearsing this afternoon, so I'll try to remember to ask him about the inverter.

No more outdoor gigs, we've been told to stop by the council (following a police visit last weekend). 

That's really sad news, sorry about the police visit.

9 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

That's really sad news, sorry about the police visit.

The police were polite and friendly, it wasn't the SPG! But they would have had to report the result of the check, and that is probably what triggered the local council to pull the plug. They have said that such events must be ticketed, enclosed by a fence and organised by an 'event organiser'.

We were just playing to a few friends, in a local park. One of our guitarists who is active in local events and lives close to the park organised it, in so far as he invited some friends' bands along and announced it on Facebook. I think we managed 5 or 6 weeks, some weeks we had to cancel due to the weather.

As one of our drummers said, it's sad they've been stopped, but they were a little bit of magic and won't be forgotten.

• Like 1

I played an outdoor gig at a rural pub on Saturday. It wasn't advertised anywhere and so was attended by the pub regulars plus friends and families of the 2 bands. No bother from the boys in blue or anyone else. The pub has a gravelled area beyond its car park with picnic tables spread out so that no-one needed to be crammed together. The gazebos left for us to use were broken, so we threw caution to the winds and played in the open air.

3bAqTon.jpgAgvPaz2.jpg