Why become a member? ×

Graphite (Steinberger vs Status)

wintoid

The Schack is unique in that video being the only one that is passive with singlecoils. I think it sounds great - they all do - maybe the Kingbass Artist or Bogart being my favourite sounding. 

FWIW, those are undoubtedly toned that Karl favours, I tend never to scoop any mids as a rule and often bump them a touch if needed. Jeff Berlin and Alain Caron were the sorts of players whose tone inspired me and my Bogart is usually running a sound with that in mind. They have a fairly organic sound I find, that many players might not instantly recognise the graphite neck based on tone alone. 

• 4 months later...
On 11/08/2020 at 22:39, EMG456 said:

Here you go then.

Fretted and fretless L2s

WP_20160920_13_32_37_Pro.thumb.jpg.33d7b1451ef298008326395ed886b232.jpg

XL5W

WP_20181120_12_42_05_Pro.jpg

XL2TA

WP_20181120_12_53_02_Pro.jpg 

Status Custom

WP_20181120_12_44_27_Pro.jpg

Hi 
I'm very interested in this Status one. Forgive me if you've been asked before, but can't see it..
how does it compare? 
I love the size and shape and practicality of Steinbergers, but just don't get on with the string spacing and neck profile to some extent. I love Status and have had a few, the necks are more me, though a smaller fretboard radius would nail it. This hybrid really appeals. 
Did Rob take much convincing? :) 
Intrigued if there's much difference sound 
wise, which pre amp is in there and where the strap attaches - boomerang or other arrangement? 

cheers 

Mark

PS the L2 in the Facebook group post mentioned on P6 of this thread is still for sale :) 

Edited by mark_ir

I bought a used Bogart Blackstone 4 sting a couple months ago and that thing is really amazing. The Neck feels amazing and looks great with the see through satin paint. That thing is always in tune. 
I’ve taked a couple time with Stegen Haas (Founder and Builder) and he’s very helpful and overall a top lad. 

4CD30CCA-041B-416B-94D9-A01666E4F9BE.jpeg

90A46B8D-E31A-4118-A585-9A652E9AB4AB.jpeg

4DCE25FE-9A16-430F-8723-AF7A92CCA71A.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mark_ir said:

Hi 
I'm very interested in this Status one. Forgive me if you've been asked before, but can't see it..
how does it compare? 
I love the size and shape and practicality of Steinbergers, but just don't get on with the string spacing and neck profile to some extent. I love Status and have had a few, the necks are more me, though a smaller fretboard radius would nail it. This hybrid really appeals. 
Did Rob take much convincing? :) 
Intrigued if there's much difference sound 
wise, which pre amp is in there and where the strap attaches - boomerang or other arrangement? 

cheers 

Mark

PS the L2 in the Facebook group post mentioned on P6 of this thread is still for sale :) 

Well, it's definitely more Status than Steinberger in character. How much of that is down to construction and how much to pickups I don't know. The Steinberger L series basses are very punchy and warm and the Status is I would say, a bit more "polite" sounding. Closer to an XL2 than an L2 if you've had experience of both. That said, it sounds great and a guitarist friend of mine who I work with a lot tells me it's his favourite out of all my basses.

It came from Status with a 2 band EQ preamp but I have changed that for an ACG/John East filter based pre.

It also has a stealthy Roland Hex pickup on there for use with a Vbass unit or synths - pictures on this post Variax Bass Electronics in a Non Variax Bass - Page 3 - Bass Guitars - Basschat

Rob supplied the bass without strap buttons as it was always my intention to fit a Steinberger pivot plate to it. I also had a spare fold out leg rest which I installed although I tend to just use the strap on my Steinies whether sitting or standing. You could certainly use an NS Boomerang if you don't like the way Hohners or Steinberger Spirit basses sit on the strap.

It's a great bass really- ultra stable- the neck has a truss rod that I've never actually touched in the 14 years that I've had it.

Rob was fine about doing the bass but this was pre Streamline days- when I enquired he mentioned that he had been thinking about doing a compact bodied model and I guess that's what then happened. If you're interested give him a call and ask - he and Dawn are very nice and super helpful.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2021 at 23:58, EMG456 said:

Well, it's definitely more Status than Steinberger in character. How much of that is down to construction and how much to pickups I don't know. The Steinberger L series basses are very punchy and warm and the Status is I would say, a bit more "polite" sounding. Closer to an XL2 than an L2 if you've had experience of both. That said, it sounds great and a guitarist friend of mine who I work with a lot tells me it's his favourite out of all my basses.

It came from Status with a 2 band EQ preamp but I have changed that for an ACG/John East filter based pre.

It also has a stealthy Roland Hex pickup on there for use with a Vbass unit or synths - pictures on this post Variax Bass Electronics in a Non Variax Bass - Page 3 - Bass Guitars - Basschat

Rob supplied the bass without strap buttons as it was always my intention to fit a Steinberger pivot plate to it. I also had a spare fold out leg rest which I installed although I tend to just use the strap on my Steinies whether sitting or standing. You could certainly use an NS Boomerang if you don't like the way Hohners or Steinberger Spirit basses sit on the strap.

It's a great bass really- ultra stable- the neck has a truss rod that I've never actually touched in the 14 years that I've had it.

Rob was fine about doing the bass but this was pre Streamline days- when I enquired he mentioned that he had been thinking about doing a compact bodied model and I guess that's what then happened. If you're interested give him a call and ask - he and Dawn are very nice and super helpful.

That’s all great info, thanks very much. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Status Streamline 5 recently. I've been gassing for one for many years, and my back isn't what it used to be so I decided now is the time. I love it! 

I was fortunate that I got to play one about 10 years ago. I remember being impressed with the weight, the look, and the sound, but of course over time my memory of the sound had faded, and decent YouTube clips were hard to find. It made pulling the trigger that little bit more nerve wracking.... So I decided I would make a recording of it's first gig. I've edited it down so it's just short clips of a few songs, and it gives a pretty good impression of what a Streamline sounds like in the real world.

Feel  free to have a listen but please, use decent headphones or speakers. Your phone or tablet speakers probably won't do it justice. 

Full marks to Rob Green and his team. The process for ordering the bass was awesome. Status customer service is absolutely top shelf!

Edited by petebass@au
  • Like 2

On 05/09/2020 at 00:57, itu said:

Basslab, another German company, any comments on that?

I actually became the owner of  a Basslab Soul Bass 5 just a week ago. A used one came up for sale and something about this bass grabbed my attention while I was researching and trying to reassure myself when thinking about buying the Streamline 5. Now I own them both - I guess I'm on a composite bass binge :)

I weighs 2.6kg! No that's not a misprint. It weighs about the same as my acoutsic bass. And in some ways, it IS an acoustic bass. It's hollow from the bridge right through to the fake headstock. Playing it unplugged, it makes quite a bit of sound. I reckon I'll use it this way to practice quietly.

* 34" scale. 
* Adjustable string spacing which I've set to 18mm to match the Status.
* Passive Delano humbucker (stacked vol/tone with 2 way selector for series/parallel coil configurations). The Stingray vibe is strong, especially in series mode.
*Control cavity has room for a pre. I'll probably install one down the track.
* Faux headstock has clamps rather than tuners. The tuners are at the bridge to provide perfect balance in spite of the ridiculous light weight.
* It takes any standard strings. 
* Has a truss rod and is apparently insanely stable across temp/humidity swings.

It looks black in the pics, but it's actually a midnight blue. The pick guard doesn't look as crazy in person as in the pics, which is a good thing because you can't remove and replace it. The whole bass is made in one piece.

An unusual beast for sure, but a beast nonetheless :)

https://i.imgur.com/pWx41mb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xaABFHk.jpg

I haven't owned it long enough to give a fully formed opinion, but my initial impressions are that it's a completely different instrument to a Streamline:

They are both going to be great for my back, but the similarities end there.

- While they are both very lightweight, the Soul is lighter, but the Status is smaller physically.
- The Status will turn more heads based on appearance.
- The Status has active electronics and that "balls to the wall" red hot output you would associate with something like a Spector, or anything EMG equipped. The Soul is passive and sounds like my Stingrays with the EQ set flat.
- The Soul is hollow. So you know that thing that happens on an acoustic bass or guitar when you tap the body with your hand? Well it happens on this bass too. And it comes through the amp so if you are going to slap it, you'll need to have a technique cleaner than mine. No such problems on the Status.
- The Soul is far more comfortable to play sitting down than the Status. Thankfully, both are very comfortable and ergonomic when standing up.

Which is better overall? IMO, the Status.

Edited by petebass@au
  • Like 1

On 05/09/2020 at 11:40, Misdee said:

Terrific YT vid demonstrating the sound of various graphite neck basses. Would have been nice to hear some fingerstyle playing too, but still a fascinating listen :

They all sound good to me, but I am particularly partial to the more midrangey tone of the Schack. The Stati and the Bogart sound pretty similar to my ears, a bit mid-scooped. 

They all sound great, clearly lend themselves to a killer slap tone.

My fav is the Kingbass Parametrix. Sweet as a nut!

4 hours ago, petebass@au said:

I bought a Status Streamline 5 recently. I've been gassing for one for many years, and my back isn't what it used to be so I decided now is the time. I love it! 

I was fortunate that I got to play one about 10 years ago. I remember being impressed with the weight, the look, and the sound, but of course over time my memory of the sound had faded, and decent YouTube clips were hard to find. It made pulling the trigger that little bit more nerve wracking.... So I decided I would make a recording of it's first gig. I've edited it down so it's just short clips of a few songs, and it gives a pretty good impression of what a Streamline sounds like in the real world.

Feel  free to have a listen but please, use decent headphones or speakers. Your phone or tablet speakers probably won't do it justice. 

Full marks to Rob Green and his team. The process for ordering the bass was awesome. Status customer service is absolutely top shelf!

Sounds great. Yeah it's heartening to see a band giving it socks, in person and sharing a stage. Rock (& funk) on! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ProfJames said:

Sorry but can't resist posting my Shuker graphite headless....................pride of the herd.................great thread, some good points made and educational for me...........

shooky.jpg

Shuker.jpg

Shuker2.jpg

Ooh I’m liking that, is that an ebony fingerboard 

• 11 months later...
On 04/09/2020 at 14:42, Chris2112 said:

And so, to summarise my thoughts on a few other bits and pieces I had owned...

A good few years ago, I had owned a Zoot fretless bass with a carbon fibre neck. I wasn't sure where the neck had come from, though Zoot offered them as an option at the time and I had seen a few others around, though none as a semi-lined fretless like the one I had.

Mike has a mould and the ability to lay-up carbon fibre necks. I saw it last time I was round there picking up my Ibanez that he'd just finished repairing. 

I'd imagine that he made the neck attached to your Zoot.

• Like 1