Why become a member? ×

Squier classic vibe precision- thoughts?

horrorshowbass

Ive also got the original version, and the necks are different. Not sure of the different dimensions, but the frets are different. The originals used small frets, which i love. Never had an issue with the tuners on it. 

I played one of the newer ones and its was nice, but felt more like my old VM bass. Again, nice, but a bit of a step backwards IMO. 

The older Chinese CVs are amazing. The current Indonesian ones seem to get more mixed reviews. Have any of you compared the ones made by Cort and the ones made by Samick? I believe the first Indonesian CVs were Cort (and still are) but the later additions to the series (like the "walnut" P-bass) are Samick? Which means that some finish options are Cort and some are Samick. The serial number should be ICS for Cort and ISS for Samick.

I've only briefly played one of the Cort CVs in a store and it seemed ok but not nearly as impressive as the old Chinese CVs. It felt more comparable to the old Vintage Modified series. Which to be fair isn't bad at all for the price.

Bought a 2020 CV Precision in black just before lockdown. The shop had a brown one and a black one - tried both and the black one was slightly sweeter. There was no one-thing that I could note was better about the black one, just the feel in the hands and the sound. Try before you buy is the best bet. Quality is great, although I am tempted to give in and have it set up professionally. I can't quite get it buttery smooth, and it may need a bit of fretwork from someone more skilled than I. Still, for £339 I would gig this bass happily and not care too much about it being dropped, chipped etc. 

I did a few mods to mine over lockdown, like adding a high mass bridge and new pickups (Entwistle Neos, then a Tonerider). Made the bass better sounding. I'm not going to say that these are on par with my Fender Elite Jazz, but they are great looking, sounding and if you choose carefully, well built. 

1B45C2FE-E426-448C-9389-E82E758CFDFB.thumb.JPG.60587589c2618d2b5500535e021726c8.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SamPlaysBass said:

Bought a 2020 CV Precision in black just before lockdown. The shop had a brown one and a black one - tried both and the black one was slightly sweeter. There was no one-thing that I could note was better about the black one, just the feel in the hands and the sound. Try before you buy is the best bet. Quality is great, although I am tempted to give in and have it set up professionally. I can't quite get it buttery smooth, and it may need a bit of fretwork from someone more skilled than I. Still, for £339 I would gig this bass happily and not care too much about it being dropped, chipped etc. 

I did a few mods to mine over lockdown, like adding a high mass bridge and new pickups (Entwistle Neos, then a Tonerider). Made the bass better sounding. I'm not going to say that these are on par with my Fender Elite Jazz, but they are great looking, sounding and if you choose carefully, well built. 

1B45C2FE-E426-448C-9389-E82E758CFDFB.thumb.JPG.60587589c2618d2b5500535e021726c8.JPG

Best colour combo in my opinion. Are blocks actual inlays or painted on?

56 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Oof Sam that's lovely. Did you have to screw new holes for bridge?

Bolted straight in, no drama. Easy to set up and surprisingly cheap as well (~ £30). Used the same screws from the original bass. Easy peasy! 

49 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:

Best colour combo in my opinion. Are blocks actual inlays or painted on?

Thank you - there’s something cool about black on black on maple. They are painted on, but I don’t get the impression that they’ll scratch off very easily or anything. 

Here's my 2014 Chinese 70's CV, It's currently strung with flats, I love it! Earlier this year I bought a 2020 CV Jazz, and tbh I couldn't get on with it. Wasn't there something about the recent CV's being re branded VM's?

IMAG0032.jpg

4 minutes ago, sprocketflup said:

I've got a CV jazz - its an excellent bass. Mines 2011 tho so getting on a bit now

I got a first gen CV Jazz. Since owning it ive had 4 other Jazz basses, inc a really nice MIA jazz. None of them best the CV. Close, but never enough to keep them AND the CV. Still got the CV as my only 4 string jazz bass. The neck is the best ive ever owned, and ive had this on a few bodies, inc 2 P’s. 

On 18/08/2020 at 14:54, SamPlaysBass said:

Lovely! How is the neck profile? In my head these should be slimmer, approaching Jazz territory but somehow I doubt that’s the case 

11 hours ago, theyellowcar said:

Lovely! How is the neck profile? In my head these should be slimmer, approaching Jazz territory but somehow I doubt that’s the case 

Definitely the ‘slimmest’ P bass neck I’ve owned. I took it to a rehearsal last night after many weeks of playing Jazz basses and I’d say there’s not much in it. I could barely notice the difference. Nut width is P bass territory, but the profile is 80% of the way to being a jazz. Certainly comfy and unexpectedly slim!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SamPlaysBass said:

Definitely the ‘slimmest’ P bass neck I’ve owned. I took it to a rehearsal last night after many weeks of playing Jazz basses and I’d say there’s not much in it. I could barely notice the difference. Nut width is P bass territory, but the profile is 80% of the way to being a jazz. Certainly comfy and unexpectedly slim!

Very true.

In the past ive put my CV Jazz neck on to two other bodies, its so nice. Mostly on my old CVP. One day i was playing it at rehearsal and thought I’d better put its own neck back on, only to find i had. Best P neck ever......