Why become a member? ×

Squier classic vibe precision- thoughts?

horrorshowbass

I have the walnut one and I like it.  The neck is nice; it's quite shallow (front-to-back) and I find it easy to play.  Mine weighs 3.75kg which is on the lower side for a P bass. I couldn't say if that's typical of the current Classic Vibe line, although I noticed the black and walnut are nato but I think the green one (is it a limited edition?) is poplar.

I bought one of the Classic Vibe's recently. Was very disappointed with build quality. Yes I know it is a Squier (I do have a higher end Fender) but the reviews I watched lead me to believe that the build quality was decent for the price point. The neck pocket wasn't great and some paint had been transferred from the neck pocket to the neck..as if it had been painted and neck bolted on in a rush before it was dry. Currently waiting on a refund from the retailer. I would say try before you buy and don't buy sight unseen.

• Like 1

My 2020 P classic vibe is flawless. Fit and build quality is excellent, finish is perfect. Neck is super tight in the pocket. Was set up at the shop, so can't comment on how they come out of the box.

I've owned dozens of fenders, and this one is up there with the Japanese ones I've had. 😃

I bought a 70s Classic Vibe Precision on here to see if i could get along with a Precision. I liked it so much that i bought  a Fender player series precision.

The Fender has better pickups, tuners etc but the Squier just feels a bit nicer to play.

I bought the squier on here and it was really well set up on arrival and i just clicked with it

I may eventually settle on the Fender but for now am giving  them both a lot of playing time and the squier more than holds it own.

I got a 2020 CV 50's in Sunburst. Looked stunning but the truss rod nut seemed to be made of cheese. It was dreadful. Guitar tech tried to set it up, nut stripped & lacquer came off the nut access hole. Since found out at least 2 others had this issue. My 2008 LPB Chinese made 50's CV is superb.

Pre-2018 they were made in China and are pretty universally excellent. Since they moved production to Indonesia they've moved into the "try a few before committing" level. I've got a CIC 60's Jazz in Inca Silver and it's a beaut but wish they did a maple neck P without the blocks - the only model they did like that was the Matt Freeman sig and they're tough to get hold of. They typically like to reuse the spare parts or put signatures out as standard models later on so disappointing they never did it with the MF.

I had a 2013 50s butterscotch one that was stunning and I gigged heavily for 2 years. Sold it on and recently bought the white blonde version as I missed it. It's got heavier (not a brick but not as light as before) but generally the tone / build quality etc is as before.

I have the 2020 50s CV P bass and I love it. Finish is excellent, the neck is pretty much perfect and sounds great. The truss rod did need a little coaxing at first to get the setup to my desired specs, but I’m happy with it now. 

The only issue I do have is with the tuners. They feel a little stiff and the baseplate is a non-standard affair. I.e. there’s no drop in replacement that I can find. AFAIK they use the same model for all Squier basses at the moment.  I was hoping to get a hipshot xtender that would drop straight in without drilling.  But seeing as any replacement with need drilling, It looks like I’ll likely end up replacing all the tuners with Ultralites and be done with it. 

I bought a new 70`s Classic Vibe Jazz and a Mustang bass earlier this year and they were spot on. I think you will find that some people have bought great basses and others aren`t so great. Much better if you can check them out yourself before parting with your cash.

Apart from the fact that the tuners on the Mustang appeared to be made of cheese.

Gorgonzola if I remember correctly......

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Haha 1

I had one of the original CV P basses. I can't see they would have intentionally made the next generation worse for any reason.

The only thing that was even slightly suspect were the tuners, that felt a bit cheap, but only a bit, not much worse than others of that style.