Why become a member? ×

Source Audio UltraWave (One Series Multiwave distortion)

Quatschmacher

Got the email last night: had not realised they did one for the guitarist too. Is their manual in duplo font with more pictures? ;)

Have watched Mr Navarro’s demo video - he’s a lucky geezer to develop and play with kit like that.(a darn fine player too)

The features are amazing: I liked your patch too @Quatschmacher: portentous noise!

Edited by Daz39
  • Like 2

On 18/03/2021 at 09:47, Daz39 said:

Got the email last night: had not realised they did one for the guitarist too. Is their manual in duplo font with more pictures? ;)

Have watched Mr Navarro’s demo video - he’s a lucky geezer to develop and play with kit like that.(a darn fine player too)

The features are amazing: I liked your patch too @Quatschmacher: portentous noise!

The two pedals are identical apart from colour, the labelling of one knob (SUSTAIN on guitar, MIX in bass, though they are fully assignable anyway) and the default 6 presets. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, stewblack said:

My Ultrawave arrived today. 

It's very very good. 

I have no clue how to drive it yet but playing with all the different presets is a blast. 

It’s a mental pedal. I was a beta tester for it and I still have only scratched the surface. It’s the first pedal where I’ve felt totally overwhelmed with options. If you were thinking you only used 10% of the FI’s functions, the figure for this pedal could well be lower. 

I now have three SA pedals and as @Quatschmacher says this one is quite a handful.

I need to change my thinking around this and my other multi effects. If I find a couple of sounds to use live, then that's fine. I don't have to use every possible noise on it to justify owning it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

At the risk of reviving an old threat...

Now that these have been out in the wild a few months, how are you all finding them?! I've seen talk of them replacing mastotrons! Is this true?! 

Currently using my C4 for dirty saw wave synth tones (dizzee rascal - bonkers, prodigy etc) and while it sounds great... I'm pretty active onstage and it's a nuisance having to concentrate on keeping everything as clean as possible for tracking... Will the ultrawave cop these types of sounds? (Please say no! I've got terrible GAS, but also got kids to feed!) 

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...

At the risk of reviving a dead thread... My Ultrawave came today, and I don't get it! 🤯

I was looking for a tap tempo tremelo, along with a mastotron style fuzz and some more tradition drives and fuzzes that I could run parallel (for the occasional clubfoot cover).

Ive sussed out the tremelo, and there are a few mastotron patches in the neuro hub ( @Quatschmacher, yours in particular stood out! 👏) But the more traditional drives evade me! Everything seems built around the foldback stuff, which I'm just not a fan of. Very tempted to return, which isn't like me at all! What am I missing?!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

At the risk of reviving a dead thread... My Ultrawave came today, and I don't get it! 🤯

I was looking for a tap tempo tremelo, along with a mastotron style fuzz and some more tradition drives and fuzzes that I could run parallel (for the occasional clubfoot cover).

Ive sussed out the tremelo, and there are a few mastotron patches in the neuro hub ( @Quatschmacher, yours in particular stood out! 👏) But the more traditional drives evade me! Everything seems built around the foldback stuff, which I'm just not a fan of. Very tempted to return, which isn't like me at all! What am I missing?!

It’s a very deep pedal and, to be honest, I felt pretty overwhelmed when beta testing it as there is just so much stuff it can do.

Check out this guy’s patches:

https://neuro.sourceaudio.net/?search=Gazza&scope=user&pedal=Ultrawave Bass

He has done a bit of work in replicating more “traditional” sounds. 

If you dig into the editor, there are quite a few non-foldback options. I tended to get more pleasing results using single-band or a low number of bands when making patches but have to admit that it’s a pedal I haven’t really touched for quite some time as distortion is not something I use a lot of. It’s crazily capable but one needs to spend a chunk of time with it to fully plumb its depths. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

It’s a very deep pedal and, to be honest, I felt pretty overwhelmed when beta testing it as there is just so much stuff it can do.

Check out this guy’s patches:

https://neuro.sourceaudio.net/?search=Gazza&scope=user&pedal=Ultrawave Bass

He has done a bit of work in replicating more “traditional” sounds. 

If you dig into the editor, there are quite a few non-foldback options. I tended to get more pleasing results using single-band or a low number of bands when making patches but have to admit that it’s a pedal I haven’t really touched for quite some time as distortion is not something I use a lot of. It’s crazily capable but one needs to spend a chunk of time with it to fully plumb its depths. 

Thanks for that! I did check out some of his patches, and they're really good but not quite what I was after. I spotted some darkglass patches that used foldback (I think, not sure how they've managed that) and they sounded great.

I think I'll have another look at it tonight before making the decision. 

I've got a feeling I'll get the tremolo from my C4 with the tap tempo switch, which would be handy as it's to run my C4 through anyways.

Starting to feel like the aftershock that I sold to buy this was maybe a more suitable tool.

• 4 weeks later...

The included cables aren't really fit for modern device.

Apple stuff doesn't have headphone sockets anymore, they are either lightning or USB C. So none of the cables that come with it are useful.

I'll have to buy a USB C to Mini USB B cable.

Source Audio should really update the units to be USB C all round. It's the way everything is going anyway - especially with the EU regs coming in for chargers / laptops etc.

12 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Source Audio should really update the units to be USB C all round. It's the way everything is going anyway - especially with the EU regs coming in for chargers / laptops etc.

They are well aware of this. Obviously retrofitting isn’t viable though.

The included USB cable works with an Apple CCK. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

@Quatschmacher

Have you any experience with using a Helix to midi control any SA pedals?

I've never done anything with Midi before but it seems like it could be fun to explore. 

Afraid not, I’ve never used a Helix. There are folks who do it though. I use my Morningstar controller to do the MIDI duties on my SA pedals. 

• 1 month later...

How are you guys that are using these finding it for basic, non-sci-fi type drive sounds? 

I'm not really an effects guy as such but this has caught my eye - although mainly for the utilitarian stuff like the flexible compressor, various EQ options as well as high and low pass filtering, and I could probably make use of a couple of the more synthy type sounds for some of the 80's synth pop numbers my band plays (I appreciate that it's not a synth pedal as such, and I have no real interest in those) But I was wondering how well it can cop 'normal' drive tones, more your low gain touch of drive thing rather than balls out distortion? 

There's a big thread on talkbass about the pedal and as usual, there's a host of conflicting opinions as to how well the Ultrawave can deliver more traditional drive sounds. If it can pull them off - and from what I can make out it's more down to how well the user crafts them rather than starting with a usable~ish drive tone and fine tuning it to taste - then it covers a lot of ground in one pedal, and that's what appeals.