Why become a member? ×

North London rehearsal studios

BillyBass

Drummer and myself just had a session in a rehearsal studio next to Holloway tube station (our guitarist has some vulnerable family members so isn’t joining us yet).  ‘Storm Rehearsal studios’.  The place was very clean, they clean the rooms after each session.   They opened up this week and are struggling as very few customers are walking through their doors   So I am giving them a plug.

They have Ampeg, Marshall and Blackstar amps; there was a lovely SVT & 8x10 in my room.

Last week we couldn’t go to Storm rehearsal studios as they hadn’t opened so we went to a place in Muswell Hill, N10,.  This place shall remain nameless but there is only one place in N10 so google it if you are interested.  The place was disgusting, hadn’t been cleaned in ages, so we won’t be going back there again.

If anyone lives in north London and wants to use a rehearsal studio, Storm is a good place.

• Like 3

Mill Hill Complex is basically a bunch of WW2 Nissen Huts which were used as an industrial estate in the 50s and 60s. It's a total throwback to the days when rehearsal rooms stank of teenage sweat, stale cigarettes and rancid lager. And the parking is utterly appalling. 

I rather like it. 

In their defence, if I was running that place myself I cannot begin to imagine how I could do any sort of 'deep clean' without gutting every single room and starting over. The dispersed layout would also make further cleaning between sessions even more challenging.

Realistically, they shouldn't be open for business during a health crisis.

• Like 1

Our drummer lives south of the river in Brixton, so a rehearsal studio next to a tube station is perfect and the Holloway tube studio also have their own parking spaces, so great for us that drive.

I looked at the Mill Hill place's website during lockdown. but perhaps, just like the Muswell Hill studio, the grime doesn't show up very well on a computer screen.  I've never been to the Mill Hill place so I shouldn't comment.

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Mill Hill Complex is basically a bunch of WW2 Nissen Huts which were used as an industrial estate in the 50s and 60s. It's a total throwback to the days when rehearsal rooms stank of teenage sweat, stale cigarettes and rancid lager. And the parking is utterly appalling. 

I rather like it. 

In their defence, if I was running that place myself I cannot begin to imagine how I could do any sort of 'deep clean' without gutting every single room and starting over. The dispersed layout would also make further cleaning between sessions even more challenging.

They could do fogging, you spray a fine liquid into the area and it provides a micro-thin layer that destroys many pathogens including COVID-19. It lasts for 30 days, and the areas are safe to enter/use 15 minutes after it’s done. 

9 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

They could do fogging, you spray a fine liquid into the area and it provides a micro-thin layer that destroys many pathogens including COVID-19. It lasts for 30 days, and the areas are safe to enter/use 15 minutes after it’s done. 

I think they are cleaning the rooms between each rehearsal and disinfecting mics and stuff...

27 minutes ago, Deepbass said:

I think they are cleaning the rooms between each rehearsal and disinfecting mics and stuff...

I think they should be demanding that you bring your own mikes.

I can't see the point of this. What are you rehearsing for? There aren't going to be any gigs for at least six months.

Just now, pete.young said:

...There aren't going to be any gigs for at least six months.

Isn't that all the better reason for rehearsing, to keep the flame (and chops...) alive..? To some, rehearsals are just as important, musically, as gigs (it's certainly our case; we don't 'play out'..!). Feeling grumpy this morning, are we..? :friends:

• Like 2

I think anyone not using their own Mic in the best of times is just odd.  But during this pandemic, you must be absolutely crazy to use a mic used by other people.  Or just show an entire disregard for the seriousness of the situation we are in.  No amount of cleaning will ensure virus particles don't persist within the microphone.

And if the excuse is sometimes people can't afford their own mics, with respect they're not going to get very far if that's the case.

• Like 2

Just now, Dad3353 said:

Isn't that all the better reason for rehearsing, to keep the flame (and chops...) alive..? To some, rehearsals are just as important, musically, as gigs (it's certainly our case; we don't 'play out'..!). Feeling grumpy this morning, are we..? :friends:

If you're physically unable to rehearse at home (drummer with no electric kit I guess), then I'd agree.  But otherwise, rehearsing alone is more than enough to keep your chops up, honing them in with the full band when a gig is actually on the horizon.

24 minutes ago, Kev said:

I think anyone not using their own Mic in the best of times is just odd.  But during this pandemic, you must be absolutely crazy to use a mic used by other people.  Or just show an entire disregard for the seriousness of the situation we are in.  No amount of cleaning will ensure virus particles don't persist within the microphone.

And if the excuse is sometimes people can't afford their own mics, with respect they're not going to get very far if that's the case.

I tend to agree with that re the pandemic...and I think they will sell you the same mics they have in the rooms for £20 or so... 

4 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I rather like it. 

Don't know when you used it last, but they have a new purpose built building with new studios that are really nice and clean.

Admittedly, ten year's ago it was a dump, but not now.

14 minutes ago, thebrig said:

Don't know when you used it last, but they have a new purpose built building with new studios that are really nice and clean.

Admittedly, ten year's ago it was a dump, but not now.

The new place has been there a few years now, but then again so are ALL the old, original Nissen Hut studios. I've played in several of them in the last three years.