Why become a member? ×

'Awesome in a box' sort of pedal/preamp?

Moos3h

Hi all,

I've just bought a Spectradrive which I use straight into our PA and I'm a little disappointed, perhaps. However I think it's my lack of understanding at fault...

I was expecting the pedal to simulate a good DI/Preamp so I could plug in and hear (through IEMs) natural sounding bass, but I think maybe what I actually need is an amp/cab SIM and not a preamp/DI? If I run it into an amp it sounds great but into the desk (or my interface) and it sounds flat and lifeless.

Can anyone recommend a simple to use plug and play pedal/box that basically just works without too much fiddling? I appreciate tone is subjective etc but I think I'm after a good approximation of that classic Trace Elliot sort of tone, chunky and authoritative but with real presence and bite?

I know this post is frustratingly vague but I suspect it's entirely my fault I don't like the Spectradrive and thus some knowledge from you chaps would doubtless help!

Thanks in advance,

James

Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver/Para Driver is about as simple as gets in terms of operation for an ‘amp in a box’ sound. 

if you want more flexibility and have a bigger budget there is Darkglass with the B7K or Vintage Deluxe/Ultra.

Aguilar Tone Hammer as well. EBS Microbass too. 

Very much personal taste though. If you have literally just got the Spectradrive I would maybe try some different settings. Also consider that a different pedal stacked in front or behind the Spectradrive might bring your sound to life.

Ashdown OrignAL has blown my mind in lockdown.

Beautiful clear clean preamp, which adds life where needed through a 5 band EQ. And a bloody great filth valve overdrive too, which is a lot more controllable than it first appears.

Clean and effect output channels, DI is effected only. Aux in and headphone out.

Bloody marvellous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stofferson said:

Another plus for the Sansamp pedal from me.

I have the bass driver V2 with mids.

Sounds great straight in. Easy to dial in and very responsive

V2 worth the upgrade with the mids? I have had the V1 for over ten years.

• Like 1

Sansamp for me, with a Behringer BD121 Sansamp copy for a spare. Both will give you great amp tones and a good DI.

Also worth a look is the Tech 21 VT Bass DI. More controls than the standard  Sansamp. I know you said you were looking for TE tones, but they may be had from this versatile pedal despite having an obvious Ampeg slant.

I think the best pedal you could buy is the the Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. This first version will do what you're looking for and even more https://m.thomann.de/gb/two_notes_torpedo_cab.htm

Damian Erskine is swearing by this for exactly the same reasons as you, but don't watch his "demo" video as he recognises himself that he's a newbee about technology and explaining it... And it turned into a total mess.

Edited by Hellzero
Spelling

The Tech21 Q-Strip is a handy tool - might be worth a look given what you’re trying to achieve.

Para Driver is also a good shout. I’ve never actually owned the pedal but I use the rack version of it - the RPM - pretty much every day when I’m sat playing along to Spotify and it sounds great. Not as good at overdriven sounds as the BDDI/RBI or VTDI/VTRM, mind.

On 08/08/2020 at 00:03, thodrik said:

I'd say so, I've had the v1,the programmable, the deluxe, the VT deluxe etc.

Same solid sound, more tweakable.

Has a button to switch mid freq as well as the bass freq too for 5 stringers/down tuners

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stofferson said:

I'd say so, I've had the v1,the programmable, the deluxe, the VT deluxe etc.

Same solid sound, more tweakable.

Has a button to switch mid freq as well as the bass freq too for 5 stringers/down tuners

Hmm tempting! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moos3h said:

Very true...I'm out of the loop, what's the nearest equivalent that won't require me to re-mortgage?

Helix Stomp.

Loads of demos on YouTube, and there’s a dedicated bass group on Facebook for all the helix stuff. Good website Here too http://drtonelab.com/ with patches and videos.

But as Ped says, if you like what you have...

• Thanks 1

On 08/08/2020 at 00:03, thodrik said:

VERY much so.
There are other pedals out there too, but if you love the SansAmp tone, the addition of mids is really something else!

Eude

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Moos3h said:

Problem sorted! Dug out my old Bass V-Amp Pro and it's instantly a million times better.

Done! Spectracomp going back 

There you go. Problem, as you say, solved. 

I recently got the Behringer BD I 21 which I think does a very similar job. 

14 hours ago, eude said:

VERY much so.
There are other pedals out there too, but if you love the SansAmp tone, the addition of mids is really something else!

Eude

Couldn’t agree more. As much as i love the old BDDI (ive had two, and still have the programable version), the V2 is more refined. Other than the new EQ options, IIR the Presence knob is wired differently as well. Makes it a bit more versatile.