Why become a member? ×

Searching for a really specific bass.

Franchement

6 hours ago, el borracho said:

I've never seen another one with the single pickup - they're usually the twin pickup active ones. Got mine in the early 90s  & was my main bass for 10+years. Gigged heavily & has a lot of battle scars.

Best £195 I've ever spent!

I think the MC800 & the active, twin-pup MC900 were only around for a year, after which they were replaced by the MC924 active and (on occasional years) MC824 passive. Both were twin pickup/24 fret. Ibanez used the same numbering to differentiate active/passive & 24-fret necks on their Roadster, RoadStar II & Studio series basses too.

I sometimes worry that I know all this stuff, but nothing remotely useful. 9_9

@tomthebass You're right, I already sanded then oiled a bass, it's a piece of cake. that's why it's the less important criteria.

@Bassassin Damn you're a bible ! Thanks :) The Aria Pro TSB550 is beautiful (unless the head) !

I do not understand well these story about Brandoni guitars (I'm francophone)..

They bought separated pieces then re built by themselves ? What does 'NOS' mean ? 

----

We begin to have a beautiful list of basses :) Thanks to all !

5 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Washburn didn't do a single-pickup through-neck Vulture & the Scavengers were bolt-neck.

I just found that - a single-pickup neck through Washburn Vulture :

https://reverb.com/fr/item/4804860-1980-washburn-vulture-transparent-brown-wing-series

Edited by Franchement
Bad link - fixed :)
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bassassin said:

I think the MC800 & the active, twin-pup MC900 were only around for a year, after which they were replaced by the MC924 active and (on occasional years) MC824 passive. Both were twin pickup/24 fret. Ibanez used the same numbering to differentiate active/passive & 24-fret necks on their Roadster, RoadStar II & Studio series basses too.

I sometimes worry that I know all this stuff, but nothing remotely useful. 9_9

But always interesting!

I like an old Ibanez - I also have an RS824 I bought 35 years ago & my go to bitsa has Blazer bridge & knobs (my first bass was a Blazer)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Franchement said:

https://reverb.com/fr/item/4804860-1980-washburn-vulture-transparent-brown-wing-series

Never seen that before! Add that to the list, then.

And that reminds me of this one - another Aria Pro that fits the bill:

image.png.62f05421a458ea57bd42a61ca3c6baf3.png

Aria PB-1500 from about 1978, I think. Probably neck-dives horribly but I'd love one. Very rare, though.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about the Brandoni Eko - they bought up Eko's original stock including unfinished bodies & necks, and sell them as parts to build yourself, or as completed instruments.

6 hours ago, Bassassin said:
10 hours ago, Franchement said:

Never seen that before! Add that to the list, then.

It's beautiful but what it's strange is that on the wiki page they said that Washburn was established in 1983. And there is not a word about a Vulture model.

Ok for Brandoni, I understand :) But do you thing we can be confident, are these quality instruments ?

On 07/08/2020 at 14:54, Franchement said:

Hello everybody !

I am looking for a bass but I have demanding criteria.
I would really like her to be :

- Passive
- Neck through
- 4 strings
- A single pickup (typed P-bass or Soap bar) with a hot powerful sound
- Handcrafted by the manufacturer's team (not in China ..)
- With a natural oiled or waxed finish (not painted)

- Not a fender or a Fender like !

Except in Custom shop, I found nothing ..

Do you have any ideas ?

With those requirements, I'd go to someone like Maruszczyk.

8 hours ago, Bassassin said:

This topic deserves more attention than I've currently given it.

A few other late 70s/early 80s basses that might fit the bill. Most of them had natural finishes as that was fashionable at the time, but they're predominantly poly lacquer finishes rather than oiled, so hopefully that's not a deal breaker.

Aria Pro SB-R60

ea7ohnf3vfuwlirouaba.jpg

The SB-Rs (and the near identical SB Elites)  have a more conventional-shaped neck (and much nicer inlays) than something like an SB700, which has a fairly parallel neck, with a wide nut & very narrow string spacing. . Still fairly easy to find for a vintage Japanese bass, & definitely a lot more common than an MC800!

Aria Pro TSB550

douxr95yoiw3pljkem3s.jpg

32" scale. Not as common as the SB-R but they do turn up from time to time and aren't outrageously expensive.

There are good number of less well-known basses fron this era too, here's a thing branded Asama:

mo2b655q2nfaavaboxk4.jpg

The same basses (and matching guitar versions) turn up with a variety of different names - nine at the last count. Most common as Lincoln in the UK.

Moving to Korea, this was made by Cort, sold in the US branded as Lotus, and confusingly, is a copy of Washburn's Vulture/Scavenger basses.

hisqjqlein3lmzbcofuu.jpg

Washburn didn't do a single-pickup through-neck Vulture & the Scavengers were bolt-neck.

And moving a bit closer to home, from Italy, here's an Eko/Camac BX7:

camac_lg.jpg

These are from about 1984 - sort of. What's interesting is that Brandoni Guitars in Wembley bought masses of Eko liquidation stock including the BX7 unbuilt neck/bodies, and seemingly will sell you this brand-new, as an NOS body built up with modern components. For £325...

I might go shopping.

I bought one of those Brandoni/Eko bodies back in the 90s, took it up to The Gallery, and they transformed it into a rather nice Sei-alike for me. It's a great starting point for customisation. 

I wasn't much of a fan of that pine-esque finish though, so my one got refinished in transparent black and got to wear some Bartolini electronics and a Kahler. 

I still miss that bass. 

1 hour ago, Franchement said:

@mcnach Thanks, I looked today on their custom page. Beautiful stuffs but minimum 1500€. It's at 80km from my house !!

If you're that close... go see them! :)

They're not the cheapest option, but they will build exactly whatever you want, which then puts them actually cheaper than most other builders. They don't seem to advertise the fact clearly enough, but you can customise everything. My first one I went with a stock Jake except I wanted the neck of a certain profile/dimensions and lacquered. The next two I spec'd pickup position and orientation, neck profile and finish, same with body, hardware, all sorts of little things. 

I'm glad I don't live that close... I'd have to ask for a job with them just to pay for the instruments I'd be buying from them! :D

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Franchement said:

@mcnach Haha - I should go there that's sure !

@PaulThePlug What do you mean ?

The Eko looks a little like the Westone (another 80s Japanese brand) Thunder range - although not quite, the Westone bodies are more symmetrical. Unfortunately the single-pickup Westone Thunder I has a bolt-neck, which is why I've not included it here. The other models in the range both had two pickups & active electronics.

qzmfdu80lb5kreh0dcna.jpg

14 hours ago, Bassassin said:

The Eko looks a little like the Westone (another 80s Japanese brand) Thunder range - although not quite, the Westone bodies are more symmetrical. Unfortunately the single-pickup Westone Thunder I has a bolt-neck, which is why I've not included it here. The other models in the range both had two pickups & active electronics.

qzmfdu80lb5kreh0dcna.jpg

I had one of those... lovely even if it weighed a ton. Eventually I sold it to a guy who travelled from The Netherlands to Edinburgh just to pick it up (and have a few beers in the process ;) )

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

I had one of those... lovely even if it weighed a ton. Eventually I sold it to a guy who travelled from The Netherlands to Edinburgh just to pick it up (and have a few beers in the process ;) )

You could've sold it to me if it was a P/P like this one - I'd only have had to come from West Lothian! :D

6 hours ago, Bassassin said:

You could've sold it to me if it was a P/P like this one - I'd only have had to come from West Lothian! :D

Ah, I wish I had known! (this was back in... 2013 or 2014) :) It was like that but not as dark, beautiful grain. 

You could open up the options a lot if you included two pickups basses. You'd have some second hand fairly recent Ibanez BTB and SR Premium basses I think, they do some natural finishes, but they nearly all have two soap bar pickups. You will get much better quality that way IMO.

Edit: Something like this (but second hand): https://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-btb670-ntf-natural-flat/18883

Edited by adamg67