gareth

So does anyone ever see a time when we’ll be doing live paid gigs again?

Totally agree, second wave now we’ll on it’s way, back to square one or beyond, really frustrating.

I personally think a working vaccine will be the only solution to this terrible mess.

• Like 2

Yep, situation seems to be worsening daily. I even fear for rehearsal studios, wonder how long before they have to close again.

• Like 1

Our tour has been rescheduled again, this time to 2021, but the Industry is sounding pretty damn worried overall. Not many festivals going to be able to survive two years off and even fewer venues.

My concern is that most of the older town centre venues are plagued with noise complaints at the best of times and only survive thanks to being grandfathered in before the surrounding luxury flats; if they disappear then that real estate will quickly turn into more flats or office space and it's going to be incredibly tough to find suitable new spaces to restart any kind of live club scene.

Edited by borntohang
  • Like 2

Friends who do solo acoustic covers gigs are back out in the pubs and bars and keeping fairly busy. 

Touring is a write off for the foreseeable though. UK shows aren't going to go ahead any time soon, and with the constantly shifting lockdowns and quarantine requirements I don't see international work springing back soon either. 

The single biggest issue for promoters is the uncertainty that an event will actually be allowed to go ahead. There's been some VERY last minute cancellations imposed by local authorities, and the constant spectre of local lockdowns over everything. No sensible promoter will want to engage suppliers, spend on marketing, sign contracts for guaranteed fees etc while these sorts of shenanigans are happening.

The future is virtual performances

Festivals and concerts go ahead where musicians play with no or severely reduced audiences

The difficult bit will be getting those watching remotely to pay for it

Once this is solved the future is clear and it’s virtual

Me yesterday, playing Sunny Afternoon in the beer garden of a popular music pub.

Shades.thumb.jpg.a3743c9b80d6260a0d19d2ff76b1f9c3.jpg

We got paid.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Me yesterday, playing Sunny Afternoon in the beer garden of a popular music pub.

We got paid.

I’ll come and see you when the snow is on the ground - I’ve got plenty of ski wear and thermals to keep you warm though it may inhibit your finger style 

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

We got paid.

Any guesses as to who took this excellent photo..? :sun_bespectacled:

:lol:

If I thought 14th March 2020 was the last gig I'll ever play, I would go quite mad. I am so desperate to get out there again**, it's becoming like an unscratchable itch.

** when it's safe to do so, of course

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rich said:

If I thought 14th March 2020 was the last gig I'll ever play, I would go quite mad.

If I thought the 13th March 2020 was the last gig I'll ever play, I would be disappointed, as it wasn't a very good one!

• Like 1

Seriously (and despite the negativism from some on this thread) there are gigs out there if (1) you look for them, (2) you offer ideas to venues instead of just shaking your head sadly, and (3) you actually want to play them.

I'm seriously disappointed that I will only have managed four outdoor gigs by the time @gareth's promised Winter Is Coming routine puts a stop to them ... I've actually landed more than a dozen such gigs, but the constantly moving goalposts from Our Beloved Leader put paid to most of them as the Government (pah! call that shower anything but that) ramped up the confusion and uncertainty.

Meanwhile, I'm already landing the first duo gigs of the Autumn. They have to be (ATM) unplugged and unamplified, and I have no doubt that the prophets of doom will use Project Fear to get a few of them cancelled, but my point is that you won't get any more gigs unless you actually make some sort of bloody effort!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, steantval said:

Totally agree, second wave now we’ll on it’s way, back to square one or beyond, really frustrating.

I personally think a working vaccine will be the only solution to this terrible mess.

And if that doesn't happen, people will realise that putting  lives on hold for the foreseeable future is not an alternative lifestyle they are prepared to put up with.

Young people, whose health is not affected by the virus in any significant way, can't be expected to live in lockdown forever.

There will be a time when, if no effective vaccine is found, we'll just have to go back to the 'old normal' and deal with the consequences.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Any guesses as to who took this excellent photo..? :sun_bespectacled:

:lol:

Mr Richard Starling, who posted it on Facebook. Mine are still at the sorting out stage, but aren't very good anyway, due to my position further back from the band and a partly obstructed view.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gjones said:

And if that doesn't happen, people will realise that putting  lives on hold for the foreseeable future is not an alternative lifestyle they are prepared to put up with.

Young people, whose health is not affected by the virus in any significant way, can't be expected to live in lockdown forever.

There will be a time when, if no effective vaccine is found, we'll just have to go back to the 'old normal' and deal with the consequences.

Definitely. There is only so much damage we should be prepared to do to our children's studies and careers. We've probably already exceeded the maximum acceptable. And we need the youngsters to pay for all the borrowing from future generations we've done in the last 6 months.

• Like 1

I think I'll be relying on ticketed gigs for a while. The fixed-fee-band-in-a-pub thing isn't really happening around here, and I can't see it starting any time soon.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

If I thought the 13th March 2020 was the last gig I'll ever play, I would be disappointed, as it wasn't a very good one!

Your last one was better than my last one then, a rugby club xmas do 2019.  I still cringe at the thought of how bad it was, probably the worst performance I have been part of in all of my time.  FYI it wasn't me at fault!  Strangely the bar staff said we were one of the best bands they have had.  On that basis I dread to think what went before us.  The positive was it helped put the thing out of its misery :).  

39 minutes ago, Rich said:

If I thought 14th March 2020 was the last gig I'll ever play, I would go quite mad. I am so desperate to get out there again**, it's becoming like an unscratchable itch.

** when it's safe to do so, of course

37 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Last gig was February 25 2020 with the jazz standards quartet and I hope it won't be my last. I'm getting old fast and time is  getting shorter so I'm really hoping we can get back to gigging with both bands. Fortunately that last gig was in front of a packed and very enthusiastic crowd in our favourite venue and we were in fine form. Luckily we recorded the gig and the recording even sounds quite good considering the equipment we used.

The best part was that I had just picked up my DB from the excellent luthier at Stand Up Guy Basses in Toronto (almost 5 hours driving each way from my home) who had done a set up on it. The band, and amazingly, some of our regular fans noticed the difference, money well spent and even the drummer commented on it while we were setting up!

In Ontario things are dead except for a very few outdoor gigs and those will be ending soon as the weather gets colder. No indoor gigs are possible here at this point, there are very strict controls and they are being enforced. In February and March I was also rehearsing in a pit band playing tenor banjo for a  production of Cabaret and of course that show never happened. I am really missing the gigs and rehearsals as they are great musical times but also a large part of my social life. Let's hope we get through this phase soon and can get back to playing together.

Photo of me at the February gig with "Marilyn" my Engelhardt ES9...can't wait to get back to gigging.

IMG_20200225_201332096.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Staggering on said:

IMG_20200225_201332096.jpg

That beard & tache combo is getting ever more impressive! 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

That beard & tache combo is getting ever more impressive! 

Thanks, but of course it"s really all about the bass.😊

In 2018 I made it across the Atlantic and was at the Double Bass Bash at Bicester and met you and some other BC members and played some great instruments and learned a lot about basses. That day was the turning point when I decided that my EUB(Yamaha SLB200) was fine but a real DB would be much better. Less than two months later I found "Marilyn" and we have been making music together since then. That day changed my life...thanks.

Now if only I had a few gigs on the calendar..... ☹️

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Staggering on said:

In 2018 I made it across the Atlantic and was at the Double Bass Bash at Bicester and met you and some other BC members and played some great instruments and learned a lot about basses.

I remember it well, and in particular that you'd come all the way from Canada to be there!

Haven't heard from @brother_malvis in a long time. :(

To be the voice of optimism, live music returned almost immediately down here in NZ once we eradicated covid the first time round, and has again the second time. There seemed to be a real appetite for it, so the audience is still there it's just a case of waiting and hoping that venues can stay afloat long enough. 

Unfortunately my band mate headed back to the UK just as we were being offered gigging opportunities out here so I'm stuck on the audience side for now. 

• Like 2

2020 was written off a few months ago in my book, and 2021 might well be the case too, but I remain hopeful. The vaccine thing is a big unknown - I read on the BBC website that even if a national vaccine immunisation is rolled out, it won't mean that everything can return to normal straight away. 

I know the "play for nothing thing" splits many on here, but if there's a chance that live music can happen again in pubs, I'm all for it. I'm pretty sure one of my bands will go down that route - I just want to get out and play again.

• Like 1

Agreed. I picked up my second (woohoo! two whole gigs!) gig of October this week.

The manager had advertised his place as being virtually empty, could barely afford to keep it running, certainly couldn't pay anything for bands, but if there were solo acts / duos out there who'd be happy just to gig & maybe pass around a jug, then he was fine with letting them use the venue.

@Silvia Bluejay and I read what he posted and completely 'got it', he made perfect sense and there was absolutely no feeling of someone trying to take advantage.

Spoke to him two days later and he had spent the entire time fending off abusive calls from self-proclaimed "professional musicians" accusing him of taking the bread from their mouths and trying to rip off honest, hard-working, Young Marxist musicians.

If I ever felt that I was 'stealing' a gig from another bassist then I would have some real issues with that, but when the gig only exists because I'm prepared to do it for nowt then it's really hard to understand some of these self-righteous ... erm ... chaps.

• Like 2