gareth

So does anyone ever see a time when we’ll be doing live paid gigs again?

Posted (edited)

I can’t see it happening for a long long time 

The economics of staging a gig depend on high attendance which conflicts with social distancing and other aspects of COVID19 

Edited by gareth

When there is an effective vaccine and / or a non-traumatic treatment that prevents the lung damage / cognitive issues / kidney problems.

• Like 5

Can't say what will / won't happen in the UK but I had a Swiss / German tour cancelled in March that's been put forward to March 2021. I've had offers of one-nighters in France and Greece in the new year. Some of my mates are already DJ-ing in clubs again. There's definitely paid live gigs already happening. Just not round my neck of the woods.

If it's safe to do so, bring it on I say. 

I have two paid for live bands coming to play at home (outdoors) next week. One of the bands also played a paid live gig a few days ago. Admittedly mine is a small and private audience but I am paying the commercial rate.

It will be patchy and limited perhaps but yes. 

• Like 1

I've had two paid outdoor events which were really enjoyable especially as we didn't rehearse.I always think of the fee as 'driving money', the playing is fun but I hate the driving!

The event manager loved them and we were asked back as soon as we were available. Now these gigs were pure entertainment and an adjunct to my life as a recording musician playing original material. That life continues in the studio only and I'm not anticipating any gigs this year. The world of 'original music' has been particularly tough the last few years both in the UK and USA so I'm glad for any work I can get,

all the best, joe

• Like 2

The economics of staging a gig depend on high attendance which conflicts with social distancing and other aspects of COVID19 

1 hour ago, gareth said:

The economics of staging a gig depend on high attendance which conflicts with social distancing and other aspects of COVID19 

Agree, and given that pro bands will require the same fees as before how will the venues promoters manage this, only outcome I can see is a rise in ticket prices.

Re bands who aren’t professional, well again if the capacity in a pub is reduced then so are the number of pints being sold, so landlords would probably look to reducing fees paid to bands as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, police squad said:

I did 2 yesterday. A garden party and then a pub garden. All very acceptable

Yes and how much did you get paid 

my point is that numbers of audience must reduce so gigs fees must reduce towards zero

I’ve done 2, great outdoor locations and decent pay (but not as high as normal). Not sure if we will have any more this year, all depends....

3 hours ago, gareth said:

Yes and how much did you get paid 

my point is that numbers of audience must reduce so gigs fees must reduce towards zero

we were paid the usual amount in these cases. We have reduced some prices to help out landlords if it is needed

Posted (edited)

We've just been booked for a school's Christmas bash, usual private event fee, deposit down.

Edited by ezbass

3 hours ago, police squad said:

we were paid the usual amount in these cases. We have reduced some prices to help out landlords if it is needed

Long term will this continue?

for profit venues have got to make a profit otherwise they go bust

i am doubtful for the future of many small pubs that barely make a profit even when their pubs are packed

with COVID19 and social distancing I’m convinced many will go bust just like may restaurants and cafes 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, gareth said:

i am doubtful for the future of many small pubs that barely make a profit even when their pubs are packed

with COVID19 and social distancing I’m convinced many will go bust just like may restaurants and cafes 

Sadly I think this may well be the case.  I have never 'paid' to play or done 'free' gigs (other than charity and favours to friends), however as a band we have now offered some free gigs to local pubs.  Our reasoning is that unless we help them out now we are unlikely to have venues left to play at in the future.  Some pubs in Mid Wales are almost certainly looking at a very bleak future - no outdoor space, small interior space, not good.  Even those that have good outdoor space will have a tough time in winter.  One can only hope that a vaccine appears and works.

Edited by 3below
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, gareth said:

We'll have to play it by ear really and see how things pan out.

• Like 1

We'll have to wait a while yet to see how the release from lockdown pans out and whether an effective vaccine can be developed. It's all very experimental at the moment and could go either way. I personally don't want to be anywhere near crowds of people until some of that info starts filtering through.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

“Totally unknown” is my thought on this. 

There’s too many variables and too many versions of what the truth is supposed to be that I don’t know what to believe.  All I know is that I have known people who have died from this and others who have been gravely ill so I’m not sure how I feel about it being mooted that its all made up.

Due to gigs in large halls involve close contact and literally being crushed together at times it could be years before this is safe.  

Edited by Black Coffee

I've written-off gigging this year. Although there's a pub locally that has one-man band behind perspex. Could be outside. Could be lies.

I don't really fancy rehearsals for now either.

I did one on Saturday. Some very rich well to do people on farm at a socially distanced festival. It was very surreal. I don't think they were used to live bands but we got paid, got to play again and had a great stage / sound system.

We have two outdoor & socially distanced gigs recently booked for September.

Technically our calendar is still full of gigs booked back at the beginning of the year, they just havent been officially cancelled yet.

Most if not all gigs mentioned here have been done outdoors, a couple of months time it will be a lot colder weather so the outdoor gigs will dry up.

2021 is being spoken about as though this situation is going to disappear, it will be no different to now unless a vaccine or therapeutic becomes available.

I’m praying that something is found, otherwise I feel my live bass playing days are over considering the age I am, all the more galling is that my current band were doing really well before Covid.

• Like 2

I just had a call - I've got a paid gig on Sunday, which it is hoped will be a regular event rotating around several local venues.

Still playing the free gigs in the park, with another band, weather permitting.

• Like 2

I don’t like to be the voice of doom but a month has gone by since I started this thread and I reckon things have worsened 

• Like 2