Why become a member? ×

NBD the bass that built it'self ...slowly.

Dom in Dorset

Six years ago I bought a bitsa on ebay because I wanted the neck for a project I was working on. The neck ended up on the fire but the body once stripped of it's psychedelic  spray paint was a nice wine red with visible grain that I found rather pleasing. I put it to one side thinking it might come in handy one day.
Time passed and for reasons I can't remember I put bought a fretless neck , no name, looks to be well made from what looks like beech wood. It happened to be a perfect fit for the body. The body had oversized routing and regular scratchplates don't cover it. The original was by this point long gone. I put it to one side.
Time passed and my boss bought a box of interesting bits at auction including a brass precision scratch plate that was also a perfect fit.
I bought the machine heads last year , I wanted to use the original screw holes and research led me to get a set of Wilkinsons. 
The pickup came from a bass I decommissioned long before I got the body. 
Yesterday I found myself in the workshop with time to kill and It's finally complete. I call it Tom after Tom E Lewis aboriginal musician and actor that I was privileged to have played a gig with a few years ago. The gig was a total car crash but he was such a gent and as the bass is the colours of the Aboriginal flag it reminds me of him.

DSCF1196.JPG

DSCF1197.JPG

DSCF1198.JPG

Edited by Dom in Dorset
Sometimes you just have to.
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

Another fitting name would be Serendipity - I know most things will be standard size but it's fun to hear how parts just drifted together and look exactly like they were meant to be there :D 
Enjoy!

"Standard size" does seem to be quite flexible! I tried the neck on several other bodies and several other necks on that body , those two just found each other. It's a true Mills and Boon bass.
Note to self -get a black nut.

Edited by Dom in Dorset
  • Like 1