Why become a member? ×

NPD - Zoom B3n

Si600

36 minutes ago, Si600 said:

I want add patch 7 as an effect in a patch I'm programming. So that it appears as an on-off effect in stomp mode.

13 minutes ago, Si600 said:

What I could do, if I can't get it to do what I want, is to copy the patch to a blank one, add my always on effect to each one so that the underlying things don't change but the over layers do. Then repeat for all sections of the song. It means that I can only have three effects per song, but that will be sufficient.

I dunno if it really works like that.

You know you can i.e. be playing through patch 007 (harmonics), press STOMP, the middle FS2 switch becomes REVERB on/off.

Or you copy 007 to say, 100, then you could also copy it to 101 and set 101 with the reverb off.

So there's more than one way to skin a chicken. 🙂

You know that Bridgey wouldn't trust a B3(n or not) as a live device, but don't worry about him. 😗

50 minutes ago, Si600 said:

Guitar Lab

46 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I installed both, haven't really done enough with them to comment, except I think Guitar lab is easy to back up all the factory patches, and add all the newer ones from the Zoom website.

I think so far that one will be better for some jobs / the other better for other jobs.

Edited by Ricky 4000

What I want is to be able to add patches into patches. So I can have patch 100 to have patch 007, Darkglass OD and Delay. I select it, click stomp mode and the three FS buttons become 007 on/off, OD on/off and Delay on/off.

If you can't add patches to patches then I think they've missed a trick really.

Again, I don't think it works like that. A patch is made up of so many effects from the effects pool. So if 007 is made up of 5 effects, I don't think you can have that group of 5 as a single effect inside a patch.

In other words, you can't have a patch inside a patch.

If that's what you mean.

Edited by Ricky 4000
clarity?
  • Like 1

Pants.

I can see why, after all it's only got a certain amount of CPU and memory, if you filled a patch with patches the poor thing would stop working.

It's why it's £150 and not £400.

I think it'll still work for me though, I'm not giving up yet :)

Edited by Si600
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Si600 said:

Pants.

I can see why, after all it's only got a certain amount of CPU and memory, if you filled a patch with patches the poor thing would stop working.

It's why it's £150 and not £400.

I think it'll still work for me though, I'm not giving up yet :)

So what you’re saying is, you could buy a second unit and do everything....

• Haha 1

I think I understand what you're after. If you use it in Memory mode, you can have say preset 100 as a base patch (and include any amp sim, cab, compressor, etc. that you fancy or just entirely blank), 101 as B7K and delay plus the base, 102 as a lighter drive and reverb plus the base. Then you can switch between those few things from the footswitches and not go into the Stomp mode and attempt to tap dance. I used mine like that when I was in a covers band for some dirty synthy stuff and a reverb/delay swell that I could flick on and off.

These days I tend to just use mine in stomp mode for delay and reverb, but for that it's still cheaper than buying the pedals individually and sounds great. 

• Thanks 1

What Ricky says:

@Al Krow is the go to guy for all things Zoomatious.

I did a dep slot for a wedding band with my B3 and programmed it in the way @MichaelDean suggests 👆 there.

Named the patches after the songs, ordered them as per set list. Where I wanted a change mid song, copied and pasted the patch then made the changes to it, then copied and pasted the original again to the following patch. That way I had, say, patches 16, 17, 18 all for the same song, where 17 was the same except for added chorus for a middle 8. So all I had to do was press the right 👉 button every time. No going back and forth 

Sounds way more complicated than it is, especially with desktop software. And on the night it was a breeze  Even used the pedal for the key change in a Witney Houston song to save me learning it! 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Even used the pedal for the key change in a Witney Houston song to save me learning it! 

That is impressive, Stew!! 😮

For me, the key to using this type of kit is to use it often enough to remember what the heck it does, and what the heck I did with it before.

I'm like that with Reaper. I'll be on a steep curve learning to do a few tricks, then not really use it for months, by which time I've forgotten most of what I knew. :scratch_one-s_head:

7 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

That is impressive, Stew!! 😮

For me, the key to using this type of kit is to use it often enough to remember what the heck it does, and what the heck I did with it before.

I'm like that with Reaper. I'll be on a steep curve learning to do a few tricks, then not really use it for months, by which time I've forgotten most of what I knew. :scratch_one-s_head:

Oh God yes. In fact if I don't use any software literally daily,  I'm Sisyphus back at the bottom looking aghast at the boulder. 

• Like 2

I took it into the rehearsal room this morning so I could play with it with my "proper" amp and cab, rather than the practice amp at home.

I really rather like it. The bulk of the programming is done for the songs it needs to be done for, but I can see it needed fine tuning with the band in situ.

• Like 1