Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger combo - help with value please!

casapete

Ok, so this is a bit of an weird one! It's a GK 200MB combo I've been using as a practice/small gig amp for a few years now.

As you can see, the original metal cabinet has long gone and replaced with a wooden version! It was like this when I got it, and I thought I'd get around to painting it black with Tuff Cab stuff but never did. The little thing works fine, pots slightly crackly occasionally but nothing that can't be easily sorted. Unsure of the speaker details, but it's a 10 inch job whereas I believe they would have been 12 inch in this model? Used it mainly at home and the occasional 'acoustic' gig with my Washburn AB20. I've tried the head into a separate cab and it sounds great too!

So the big question - what's it worth? It's now superfluous to my needs, since i got a Fender Rumble 100. If someone wanted to use just the head, they could maybe make a sleeve for it, or just either use it as it is for practice or tidy it up for gigs etc. Even spares for their GK combo?

Any thoughts most welcome. I'm a paid up member on here so this isn't a selling dodge - I genuinely haven't a clue what to put it up for!

Cheers, Pete.

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

Edited by casapete

That’s really tricky.  The combo is great, I miss mine.  But it’s design is all about the cab/12” driver and how it functions with the weird tiny aluminium enclosure.  

I’d be tempted to keep the head unit, rehoused somehow.  It’s a great little thing, especially with a DI for help.  This might not work, as I think the mains transformer is mounted  in the cab with the speaker?

As is, I’d guess £200...but a challenge to shift in the current micro amp world. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BassBod said:

That’s really tricky.  The combo is great, I miss mine.  But it’s design is all about the cab/12” driver and how it functions with the weird tiny aluminium enclosure.  

I’d be tempted to keep the head unit, rehoused somehow.  It’s a great little thing, especially with a DI for help.  This might not work, as I think the mains transformer is mounted  in the cab with the speaker?

As is, I’d guess £200...but a challenge to shift in the current micro amp world. 

Thanks for your reply! Don't think the mains transformer is in the cabinet, maybe I need to dismantle it and check! May find what the speaker is then as well. The cabinet is quite well made out of ply and doesn't rattle or anything.

I honestly don't think it's  worth £200 though? I was hoping for say £75 TBH.

3 hours ago, BassBod said:

This might not work, as I think the mains transformer is mounted  in the cab with the speaker?

Basschat knowledge wins again - you're right! There's a load of wadding in the cab but found the transformer where you said.

Speaker is a Beyma SM110/N - looks like a 10 inch 200 watt job https://www.beyma.com/en/products/c/low-mid-frequency/110SMN8/altavoz-sm-110-n-8-oh/

Thanks again for your help BassBod.

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

Spend a few quid and cover it....I loved that blue snake skin TE that was for sale here earlier this year - properly eye catching - lots of veneers available on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311&_nkw=veneer+sheets&_sacat=4713&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=4713&_dmd=2&_odkw=bass+guitar

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Spend a few quid and cover it....I loved that blue snake skin TE that was for sale here earlier this year - properly eye catching - lots of veneers available on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311&_nkw=veneer+sheets&_sacat=4713&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=4713&_dmd=2&_odkw=bass+guitar

Nice idea, but just looking to sell it as is really. Cheers.