Why become a member? ×

PSU for Pedaltrain nano - Options inside and opinions required!

Houtoe

Hi all, 

I am looking to finish my pedal train nano(first one I have ever made so starting small) 

I am going to be powering a Polytune , MXR Bass Octave and some form of Preamp (torn between Sansamp / SCR or Eden WTDI but that's another story) 

I have narrowed down my options for mounting a board under the nano to the following (they all fit under the rails and are short enough to not need to change the feet) 

I think my preference would be between the Palmer or Cioks Adam but it's nearly double the price for a decent power supply cable that I won't break! 

Option 1

Palmer PWT 04 at £55 - mountable and will power all 4

https://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_pwt_04.htm

Option 2 

Harley Benton Powerplant ISO-5 Pro - £44

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_5_pro.htm

Or spending more money I can get a few "better" PSU's but not sure if they are actually going to be worth paying double for.... 

Option 3 

Voodoo Labs X4 - £90 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/voodoo_lab_pedal_power_x4.htm

Option 4 

Cioks Adam Link - £95

https://www.thomann.de/gb/cioks_adam_link.htm

Wild Card 

Cioks DC5 Link - £125 - not sure if I ever intend on buying an 18v pedal or if it would even be worth future proofing the board...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/cioks_dc5_link.htm

I know there are hundreds of posts on PSU's but I can't seem to pull any real answers from them between budget and "premium" products. 

Cheers

Chris 

• Like 1

I swear by the Voodoo Labs stuff personally. The thing with the cheaper units is, while they say isolated each individual port rarely is, and I’d rather pay the extra to keep things nice and quiet, though that said I do run a bunch of pedals So am particularly mindful of that. But, if that isn’t a deal breaker Mooer also do one that’s tiny (same size as their main range of pedals) so might be worth a look. About £50 new on the ‘bay if memory serves, significantly cheaper than elsewhere.

Not on your list but after I'd read @stewblack waxing lyrical about the HB Powerbank I bought one of those.  £35 incl some leads.  I like the idea of cutting loose from the mains lead!  One less socket to worry about. 

I am currently running a minimal board comprising a TC Polytune, TC Spectradrive and Boss WL-50.  It arrived fully charged and I've used it for perhaps 3 hrs of home practice, during which time just one of the 4 LEDs indicating charge level has gone out.  They say it should last for 5 hrs but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes on for longer.

• Like 1

Cioks DC5 is great, but since its release it's had competition in the form of the Truetone CS6 and Strymon Ojai R30. Both premium options though, I'm sure there are some good low profile budget options about these days, just watch out as lots of the cheap ones don't have isolated outputs.

This looks interesting though if you might be tempted by a USB rechargeable one: https://m.thomann.de/gb/mission_engineering_529_usb_pedal_power_supply.htm

I've had / still got the Ciocks DC5, One Spot CS6 - both very good. 

Also have the HB Iso5 - your Option 2. Really happy to recommend this. Great value, isolated/noiseless and plenty of juice. Currently underneath my smaller board and powering 7 pedals. 

• Like 1

I use a Cioks DC8 if that's any help, I bought it so I could power my TC Nova Dynamics, which from memory needs 12v

Even if you currently have nothing more than standard Boss style 9v I'd still look for something with a bit extra just in case.

I'm currently wondering whether it will drive my new B3n, which needs half an amp, the DC8 maximum is 300mA. It powers the MS60B OK, but that's a small format unit.

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Not on your list but after I'd read @stewblack waxing lyrical about the HB Powerbank I bought one of those.  £35 incl some leads.  I like the idea of cutting loose from the mains lead!  One less socket to worry about. 

I am currently running a minimal board comprising a TC Polytune, TC Spectradrive and Boss WL-50.  It arrived fully charged and I've used it for perhaps 3 hrs of home practice, during which time just one of the 4 LEDs indicating charge level has gone out.  They say it should last for 5 hrs but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes on for longer.

Mine did 5 hours plus with quite a few more pedals and charging a phone! But never mind the battery life and the lack of an extension lead and power cable  the hours spent trying to find if a power supply is really  isolated... its the silence. The pure blissful absence of any extraneous noises. No hums no whistles, no whines. Its bliss. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 06/08/2020 at 20:19, Paul S said:

What pedalboard are you using? I'm also using a TC Polytune + TC Spectradrive and probably going for the Boss WL-50.

I ran the first few incarnations of my board from a Harley benton power plant junior and a Palmer PWT05, they might be a bit too tall for your board but they both worked flawlessly and have 5 isolated outputs of 120mA each (which you can link for either double voltage or double current)

i have just swapped to a Fame DC junior as i needed a bit more current for my wireless (Line6 g50) and it's a nice slim unit and was really quite cheap, very happy with it so far.

Fame DC Junior | DV247 | en-GB

For the people looking at the Boss WL wireless units, keep an eye on the power consumption whilst charging, 320mA if the website is to be believed (only 60mA in use though which is impressive)

Matt

20 minutes ago, Scapal said:

What pedalboard are you using? I'm also using a TC Polytune + TC Spectradrive and probably going for the Boss WL-50.

Pedaltrain Mini.  It is too big but I already had it :)  I think a Pedaltrain nano would be a better fit.

On 06/08/2020 at 21:51, stewblack said:

Mine did 5 hours plus with quite a few more pedals and charging a phone! But never mind the battery life and the lack of an extension lead and power cable  the hours spent trying to find if a power supply is really  isolated... its the silence. The pure blissful absence of any extraneous noises. No hums no whistles, no whines. Its bliss. 

Similar to Stew, I am running the Roackboard LT XL, which gives about seven hours of mains-free power.  I even charge it in situ through the installation of a USB connector in the patchbay.

I won't be going back.

50690331278_091929162c_c.jpg

50691079636_8a47322603_c.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matt P said:

i have just swapped to a Fame DC junior as i needed a bit more current for my wireless (Line6 g50) and it's a nice slim unit and was really quite cheap, very happy with it so far.

Fame DC Junior | DV247 | en-GB

I've been getting a high-pitched noise at some (but not all) gigs and I currently suspect my Fame DC Junior, although many changing factors/gear at each gig mean it's hard to pinpoint the problem. Also I can't actually hear the noise myself, relying on younger bandmates to tell me when it starts/stops.   Next gig (whenever that will be...) I will try not using it and see if it helps.  Has anyone else had a similar issue?

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

I've been getting a high-pitched noise at some (but not all) gigs and I currently suspect my Fame DC Junior, although many changing factors/gear at each gig mean it's hard to pinpoint the problem. Also I can't actually hear the noise myself, relying on younger bandmates to tell me when it starts/stops.   Next gig (whenever that will be...) I will try not using it and see if it helps.  Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I have to admit that I haven't had a chance to try this live yet, but I did use this board for a recording session where i was monitoring via headphones and it was totally silent, the engineer didn't mention any noise either. I might try and dig the board out later and see if I can hear anything.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread up, thought it'll be better than starting a new one!

Ideally would like a PSU to sit under my nano also. At least 1 18V needed.

The Cioks still the way to go? I'm only powering 3 pedals and one is 18V and the cali76 also can be 18V if I wanted. Any recommendations ?

27 minutes ago, dand666 said:

Sorry to bring this thread up, thought it'll be better than starting a new one!

Ideally would like a PSU to sit under my nano also. At least 1 18V needed.

The Cioks still the way to go? I'm only powering 3 pedals and one is 18V and the cali76 also can be 18V if I wanted. Any recommendations ?

I think the Truetone CS6 can do 18v with one of their adapter cables.