Why become a member? ×

Hello from Kent!

wintoid

Hi all,

I actually joined a while back but have been more of a browser than a contributor.  I thought I should say hello properly.

I'm a 52 year old guy who grew up obsessed with the bass from a fairly early age.  Jaco, Mark King and all that.  I started playing at around 13 years old, maybe earlier, on borrowed instruments at first.  My first bass was a Westone (?) Rail, which just looked like the future to me!

I'm a computer guy, and that ended up being how I made my living, but as soon as I was earning, I wanted to get myself a really nice bass.  I wanted a Wal.  However, at the time I was able to find credit from a music shop that did not have Wals but had Warwicks, so I ended up with a 4 string Warwick through-neck which took me 2 years to pay off.

Over a few years I accumulated a nice little collection of analog synths and studio gear, but when we had kids, I sold most of it.  Needs must.  I downgraded my bass at that time from the Warwick to a Hohner B2A, which I still have.  It has lain unplayed for nearly 2 decades now as I have been consumed with bringing up my kids.

During lockdown, I've found myself interested in music as a hobby again, and have been playing with Bitwig as a DAW.  I've got a reasonable soundcard now, so fished out the Hohner and had a go at recording it.  I need new strings!  Don't like the sound recorded with the active circuitry engaged, and it's a bit quiet in passive mode, but it's passable for now.

I still want a Wal!

Anyway, I'm here, and grateful for this resource and all you nice people.  Thought I should say hi!

Cheers,

Simon

Welcome Simon.

Has your B2A got an XLR out as well as the standard jack socket?  If so, that will send a clean signal to the input device.  I'm told that a lot of studios had these just for recording.

For an active bass the output isn't huge, I agree.  Did you check the volume trim pot in the pre?  I can't imagine anyone wanting to reduce the output for a minute but it might be worth checking it out.  Check your pickup heights too.

Also, these respond particularly well to light gauge, piano wound strings.  You might find it difficult to get piano wound now.  If you do, you may need a string clamp because double ball ends add another highly specific requirement.  When slap was a significant cult, they were plentiful though.

• Like 1

Just now, SpondonBassed said:

Welcome Simon.

Has your B2A got an XLR out as well as the standard jack socket?  If so, that will send a clean signal to the input device.  I'm told that a lot of studios had these just for recording.

For an active bass the output isn't huge, I agree.  Did you check the volume trim pot in the pre?  I can't imagine anyone wanting to reduce the output for a minute but it might be worth checking it out.  Check your pickup heights too.

Also, these respond particularly well to light gauge, piano wound strings.  You might find it difficult to get piano wound now.  If you do, you may need a string clamp because double ball ends add another highly specific requirement.  When slap was a significant cult, they were plentiful though.

Hi!

Thanks for the friendly welcomes.

No, unfortunately it doesn't have the XLR out, that sounds like a nice feature.  Mine has the detuner on the E string to drop it down to a D, which I never use.  I think the trim pot only adjusts the active volume, not the passive.  It's loud enough when the active circuitry is engaged, but about half as loud in passive mode.

Tell me about this string clamp business as I'm not familiar with this.  What is the purpose?  I put some very light strings on from Status but I think the action has gone a bit low and I'm not sure I'm up for fiddling with truss rods etc.  I have some regular gauge strings on order from Status now.  It was all getting a bit rattly.

Cheers,

Simon

26 minutes ago, wintoid said:

Hi!

Thanks for the friendly welcomes.

No, unfortunately it doesn't have the XLR out, that sounds like a nice feature.  Mine has the detuner on the E string to drop it down to a D, which I never use.  I think the trim pot only adjusts the active volume, not the passive.  It's loud enough when the active circuitry is engaged, but about half as loud in passive mode.

Tell me about this string clamp business as I'm not familiar with this.  What is the purpose?  I put some very light strings on from Status but I think the action has gone a bit low and I'm not sure I'm up for fiddling with truss rods etc.  I have some regular gauge strings on order from Status now.  It was all getting a bit rattly.

Cheers,

Simon

A string clamp simply makes it possible to use single ball ended strings on a headless bass.

https://headlessusa.com/jcustom-bass-combo-headpiece

image.png.dd1958024a87570c4e613a1e982fbaef.png

I bought the five string Steinberger Spirit XT25 (passive).  It's not as well made as the old Hohner but it got me into fives.  In retrospect I probably would have liked the detuner bridge on the Hohner better but mine's just the plain one.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1