Why become a member? ×

Ibanez TMB35 - opinions?

Sibob

Has anyone had any experience of these yet.
I'm potentially interested in a Serek short scale 5 string at some point, and although they're obviously going to be far-and-away a better bass than the Ibby (nothing against it), I thought it might make a decent and cheap experiment to see if I'm into the shorty 5er idea.
Plus it's a passive P/J, which is basically perfect haha.

Any thoughts?

Si

bass.png

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2

I've had my eye on these for a few months, but I like to try before I buy and haven't managed to find a local shop with one in stock, I have played and loved the 4 string version and I love 5 strings but I can't quite commit to buying one online. 

The stupid thing is that I love the colour, the string spacing is exactly what I prefer and I love passive basses but I just can't click on the buy button. 

Matt 

22 minutes ago, Matt P said:

I've had my eye on these for a few months, but I like to try before I buy and haven't managed to find a local shop with one in stock, I have played and loved the 4 string version and I love 5 strings but I can't quite commit to buying one online. 

The stupid thing is that I love the colour, the string spacing is exactly what I prefer and I love passive basses but I just can't click on the buy button. 

Matt 

Thomann have them with a 30 day money back guarantee 😊

Si

1 minute ago, Sibob said:

Thomann have them with a 30 day money back guarantee 😊

Si

I know but I have a real problem with sending stuff back, I don't know why but its a whole psychological thing for me I think, I have the funds sitting in a separate account ready but just haven't managed to buy, there is also the small issue that my wife thinks I don't have room for another instrument and I'm not sure what I would could part with to make space. 

Matt 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt P said:

there is also the small issue that my wife thinks I don't have room for another instrument and I'm not sure what I would could part with to make space. 

Matt 

It's short scale so will fit into a smaller space 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

It's short scale so will fit into a smaller space 😂

But it won't fit into any of my hiscox guitar cases so smuggling it into the house is a bit harder, the case issue is also on my mind, I prefer to use hiscox and the only option is a full size bass case which is a bit of a shame and makes it harder to fit in the boot of the car. 

Matt 

I have one coming within the week and plan to make a few 'tweaks' to it. If you're remotely around Buckingham way you're more than welcome to give it a go. Tbh I'm in exactly the same position it sounds. Like the Serek's. Would love a MG Mini...but that's never happening. 

I sold a handmade jazz guitar recently with plans to get a custom build and before I make the leap I'm going to see how this suits me. 

Does anyone have a picture of the control cavity with plate removed? Interested to see what space there is to drop in a preamp/other pickups. 

Edited by Mikey D
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Mikey D said:

I have one coming within the week and plan to make a few 'tweaks' to it. If you're remotely around Buckingham way you're more than welcome to give it a go. Tbh I'm in exactly the same position it sounds. Like the Serek's. Would love a MG Mini...but that's never happening. 

I sold a handmade jazz guitar recently with plans to get a custom build and before I make the leap I'm going to see how this suits me. 

Does anyone have a picture of the control cavity with plate removed? Interested to see what space there is to drop in a preamp/other pickups. 

I doubt there’ll be a lot of space, maybe a little Aguilar Pre perhaps, but would be tight. I think it will sound fine, it’s more about the B I think.

I work and hang out in High Wycombe, so could be doable at some point. Definitely let me know your thoughts when it arrives though!

Cheers
Si

The four string is great, and not just for the money. 

Fit and finish is good, hardware and electrics seem as good as most sub £500 basses, sounds and plays great but it is quite heavy. 

I'd say it really is down to how good the B string is as the rest is a no brainer.

Well, there have been developments here, I might have found a buyer for my squier p5, so there may be a tmb35 heading my way at some point soon, for those who have the 4 string how heavy are they? 

Matt 

• Like 2

On 13/08/2020 at 17:47, Matt P said:

Well, there have been developments here, I might have found a buyer for my squier p5, so there may be a tmb35 heading my way at some point soon, for those who have the 4 string how heavy are they? 

Matt 

15974394473201174013504603613231.jpg

The best sight....

...although I have back to back work calls until 6pm and then need to put girls to bed before I can open and have a play.

A few extras came to make it my own plus the Aguilar pickups from @walshy. So I’ll start with stock before adding anything but very excited to see how this thing plays up of the box.

8417B141-9463-41E2-95C0-A27E18F6FF50.jpeg

484A140A-BC5D-4262-812B-1AF682B20BB5.jpeg

• Like 2

I’ve got a TMB-30, which I assume is the same but 4 string. It’s essentially a good bass, some uneven frets and maybe a badly cut nut? Noting a decent Luther couldn’t fix in 10 mins. I find these balance on a strap a bit odd too. It does sound great though and I like be the chunky neck profile. I’d be curious to see how people get on with the low B, is it too flappy?

Good news: Great bass. Generally. And for the money. Love the feel of the scale length. Neck a bit thicker than I like for my own preference but very playable and nice unfinished feel. Although the B will be going in favour of high C plays very nice and not too flappy at all. I’ll try and do a recording before changing the strings. Had a quick play through practice amp and through Logic with just a basic preset and sounds nice. Not boutique bass nice but easily nice enough.

Neutral: setup is a bit high for my preference but playable and feels fairly effortless under the hands considering slightly lower tension  

Less good news: Looks like Aguilars won’t fit without some rerouting...so may look at other options first. Also nut isn’t placed exactly as per photo but is playable and easy to solve. Finish has some very minor surface scratches so not completely mirror finish but if you really were bothered sure you could buff them out in no time.

I can see myself being taken by the short scale for future basses  

7BD4876B-E46B-4E5F-A276-49F904875E3C.jpeg

5F898B4D-9AF2-4635-B1F4-9188CFE08FEB.jpeg

7E893E1B-87FE-4EE9-A613-F4D3AFA0D196.jpeg

• Like 1

@Sibob - I was eager to just get something down so a very rough and ready take but here you go... From Within - TMB35

This is just TMB35 (sorry already strung high C) full on both pickups and tone slightly rolled off treble>original Apogee Jam>logic>quicktime movie recording whilst playing along to the track

If I get more time I'll do something with better audio.

Edited by Mikey D
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, NoirBass said:

Sounds great! Good idea stringing it up E - C. Hmm this gets me thinking......

It's how I have all my 5 strings however I did enjoy playing this with the low B and tempted to string a bass up or get one and have it low B.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt P said:

@Mikey D what is the balance like on a strap? that is the only thing that might scupper it for me as i find neck dive a real pain.

Matt

It definitely wants to move to be perpendicular to the floor...with light pressure from right forearm is stays happily but with no hands it definitely wants to go horizontal.