Why become a member? ×

Psychedelic Industrial Doom/Stoner Rock :: all I nil - "Rogue Probe"

"Rogue Probe" by all I nil, a work in progress progressive psychedelic stoner rock solo project of mine, which primary instrumentation is going to be bass, drums and vocals..

This particular track is sort of a demo for that project though, and genre wise it would be more like psychedelic industrial doom/stoner rock.

And the lyrics are:

Rogue Probe

Nothing to hide, nothing to see 
we're going under 
reached the surface to breath 
like the tip of the iceberg 
there's more underneath 
battleships, aliens, deep blue and freezing 
out of mind, out of sight, out to hunt 
out of season 

U-boat out of torpedoes and reason 
the aliens strike back 
come in peace out of treason 
Mars Attack!
Computer-animated nightmare
Turn up the feedback 
only if you dare
seal up the crack pipe 

Artwork is by me as well, by the way.

Now also up on Badncamp for free download and listening: https://all-i-nil.bandcamp.com/

Here's a bit more information about this track and the project:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ahpook said:

Good stuff.

Very atmospheric...this is a good thing.

👍

Thanks a lot. :D

It was a track I started creating just for fun quite a while ago.

Just a backing synth/organ and drums track programmed in Reason 5 and then me recording some more or less entirely improvised bass on top of it, after ripping out the indificual Reason tracks to my preferred DAW, Reaper, the bass as far as I remember having an 1 octave up effect mixed in with the regular bass signal, from my Sub'N'Up Mini octaver, as is going to be an always on effect on the bass for this project, and then obvious my heavy high gain distortion setup was used as well, though my current high gain distortion setup sounds slightly different, and I believe I might have added some VST effects to the original bass recording as well on this track.

I kind of had dropped that track and didn't intend to ever finish it, but last night I took another listen to it, and found that it actually had the potential to be turned into a great track with some further work, so I  spend all night editing and mixing it, as well as minutiously cutting up an audio file ripped from a text to speech old fashioned robot voice app I got that I fed with an old poem that I written a while back, for the robot blabbering to fit in rhythmically, as it otherwise juts sounded like one incoherent stream of mindlessly more or less randomly listed up as a more less random pile, as well as the result of that work was copied to several tracks, using a bunch of VST effects to both make the text to speech robot sound more alien, but at the same time more clear and articulated, which wasn't exactly an easy job. 

I am actually really satisfied with the result, even if the "real" songs I am working on at the moment for the project in most likelihood will turn out vastly different, as the plan is to use EZ Drummer 2 for the drum parts, which has much more realistic sounding drum samples than Reason 5, as well as some percussion will be physical and played and recorded live, and that the bass lines for the songs I am working on generally are being somewhat more complex than the ones featured in this track as well, and all in all I will most likely go for a far less electronic/industrial sound, than this track displays, as for for secondary flavor instrumentation beside bass, drums and vocal, for one I will primarily utilize either real physically played and recorded instruments or programmed ones using quality instrument samples from the Kontakt 5 VSTi.

Nothing wrong with Reason 5, I actually prefer the way it works when programming music to regular DAW midi programming, and while not really working all that well for creating realistically sounding programmed compositions, it is an absolutely perfect program for creating electronic music that is fully intended to actually sound electronic and not like physical instruments.

But who knows, this project might not eventually end up exactly as planed after all, and instead turn into something more similar to this early rogue demo probe for the project, too early in the process really to say, basically just having finished the bass parts for a handful songs, that still need to be recorded and then have added drums/percussion and vocals, as well as some more sparingly used additional instrumentation and ambient effects that the plan is will exclusively serve a more flavor based function.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Keep at it, sometimes leaving a song to sit for a while and then coming back to it is just what's needed.

Be interesting to hear how the other tunes turn out.

It's without doubt one of the most interesting pieces of music I've heard on BC for a while, keep at it BB.

• Like 1