Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision 1981 Black & Maple Sold
£995
Lancaster

ash

Here is my old faithful Fender Precision in black and maple. Although the neck has a late 70s serial number the body sticker dates it to ‘81 when it was put together in the Fender factory - a common practice at the time. This bass has been heavily gigged and bears the battle scars and wear to prove it! The finish is worn in areas through genuine play not artificially- the honourable marks of time. Lots of scuffs, chips and touched up areas but at least it’s original! The neck is wonderful very shallow and easy to play the action is low and the bass really sings and sustains - no dead spots.

It’s had a couple of changes over the years. When I bought it it had a non original generic Precision pickup on it that was okay but not very beefy so that was swapped for a Fender Japan one. This has more of the growl of a 70s Precision. The electrics are stock I think however I changed one pot and the output jack as both were scratchy and intermittent - I have them if required. The scratchplate that was on it when I bought it has a different Fender serial number on a sticker again not unusual for a Fender of this era. The scratchplate was badly cracked so I added a bit from another newer plate, not pretty but it works. I had a cream one on for a while which I will include. It comes with a generic gigbag. The neck is straight with good frets and working trussrod. 

The reason I’m selling this is down to it being heavier than my other basses. It weighs 4.4kgs which is pretty light for a Fender of this era but a bit heavy for me having recently sustained a neck and shoulder injury. I’ll be sad to see this one go as it is a great players bass and has served me and previous owners well. Pickup preferred but I can post at buyers cost. No overseas bidders. I’ve changed my mind several times about this bass but I have to be sensible. 

No trades!

DFD34DF0-B8DC-4C30-92E9-C13F4A189DFF.jpeg

Edited by ash
Sold
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, three said:

Lovely example of a classic bass! The neck looks very slim/slender. Is it a standard 1.625” nut width?

I’ll measure it when I’m home a few people have said it feels slim but my other main bass is a 78’ Precision with a similar neck. I’ve heard mutterings of it being an ‘A width neck’ but not sure of that it’s certainly not clubby or wide like some P basses I’ve played. Even modern ones. 

Edited by ash

• MB1 locked this topic