Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Bass Buddy - Low Hum

BassApprentice

Hello,

I haven't used my Bass Buddy in a while as I have been using my B3 to practice - when I turned it on today there was a low hum. Initially I thought it was interface from my Laptop so moved it through to a room with no lights etc. on and still there. I guess it could be an earthing problem but just wanted to check if anyone has encountered this before? I tried using batteries but my Lidl 9V batteries didn't seem to work :scratch_one-s_head:has anyone used specific batteries that have worked for their Bass Buddy?

Also, the power supply connection doesn't feel very secure. I can't remember if it was always like this or something has changed. Can anyone confirm if this is how their power supply looks when plugged in?

Thanks!

PXL_20200805_120212109.jpg

PXL_20200805_120216866.jpg

Edited by BassApprentice

In reply to your question re. the power supply, yes, that's how mine looks too.

Regarding the hum, mine makes all sorts of hums and noises, but so far I've always blamed the fact that it's connected to a PC, and it really makes no difference how far from the PC I move the BB, since the AUX cable still connects the two devices.

The variety of hums and whirrs seems to depend on a lot of factors: the PC screen, my radio mouse, the PJB headphones, all of their wires functioning as antennas, and the bass guitar and its lead adding their own earthing/screening problems.

I can't remember whether it was less noisy when I first got it (it's on permanent loan from hubby). Curious to hear if others have the same. :)

Thanks @Silvia Bluejay

Just went and bought some Duracell 9V batteries and it seems to agree with the Bass Buddy and it works - no hum or buzz.

Like you I normally had it next to PC/Lamps and other electronics but now I'm in the living room with less electronics on there is markedly less interference. When it was next to a monitor it did get a lot of interference but I am pretty sure it is the power supply, that will need replaced then!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started having hum issues about a year or so ago, so I bought a replacement PJB power supply. Unfortunately, that didn’t cure the hum, which developed into a crackle, then intermittent distortion, to finally a dead Bass Buddy.

i really need to see if I can get mine repaired, but the PJB distributor Selectron-uk hasn’t replied to my emails. 

Never had any issue with mine (including the power supply) during the years I’ve had it and it gets used a lot. Quiet as a mouse when it’s on, however I have rarely used it with a PC. I just connect it to my iPad which stores all my music for rehearsing. I have found it’s not too keen on having mobile phones too close to it, so it may well pick up noise from elsewhere.

12 hours ago, JPJ said:

I started having hum issues about a year or so ago, so I bought a replacement PJB power supply. Unfortunately, that didn’t cure the hum, which developed into a crackle, then intermittent distortion, to finally a dead Bass Buddy.

i really need to see if I can get mine repaired, but the PJB distributor Selectron-uk hasn’t replied to my emails. 

Contact Phil Jones direct. He's an Englishman working in the USA, a lovely guy, and very approachable.