Why become a member? ×

Music Man 75 head & 412b Cab ???

Ghost Rider

Has anyone of you had or tried one of these heads & cabs before? 
I’ve done a bit of research & the head looks like it’s from 1980 or thereabouts. 
There is one of these for sale not too far from me & I was wondering if it’s more of a guitar amp or bass or both. I think it looks like a fender Bassman clone. Also would the 75 watts be loud enough in a band situation? I would presume so as they look like “tube watts” 

Cheers - Anth 

9C1EBA4C-95B7-4E16-AE24-E35693094053.jpeg

3DF4C195-C78D-4A5C-851C-A2CCE72A2A8A.jpeg

A316F538-2D13-4123-B6E9-9B8D717E0D71.jpeg

Edited by Ghost Rider

Since the channels are Normal and Bass and there's no tremolo, vibrato or reverb it's a bass rig. It is an updated Fender Bassman, Musicman being the company Leo Fender founded after selling Fender Musical Instruments. Based on that I'd expect it to be much like a Bassman, which means it's a guitar amp without tremolo, vibrato or reverb. The head is probably OK for low volume gigs, but the speakers were always the weakest part of the Bassman, and I'd expect the same with this.

• Like 2

Sure. If I was looking for a vintage head it would be an Ampeg V4, which is rated similarly for power but it's a very different animal, quite gig worthy. I'd pass on any vintage speakers, the technology there has advanced far too much. You can get the same output, or more, from a modern 212 as with a vintage 412.

• Like 1

Those amps sound very nice actually. 

I own a HD150 music man amp, with the original 2x12. It sounds very good and loud with that cabinet. Soundwise I think it is similiar to my bassman 135

The 75 watts seems a little, but maybe the 412 moves some air.. 

If it's not to far away from you, it might be worth the while to try it out. 

• Like 1