Why become a member? ×

Needs a string retainer?

Radchenko

I agree with the above - move the whole nut across.  1mm should do it.  

In that second video you can actually see what is happening.  As you pull off with an open string, the whole string is vibrating and so the section of string between your pull off and the nut is still vibrating when it hits the corner of the fret chamfer.  You can actually see that in the video.

I reckon 1mm would do it but I would also consider tighter tension strings - that looks very floppy to me ;)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I agree with the above - move the whole nut across.  1mm should do it.  

In that second video you can actually see what is happening.  As you pull off with an open string, the whole string is vibrating and so the section of string between your pull off and the nut is still vibrating when it hits the corner of the fret chamfer.  You can actually see that in the video.

I reckon 1mm would do it but I would also consider tighter tension strings - that looks very floppy to me ;)

Thank you very much.

The strings are Ernie ball superslinky. I don't think this strings are floppy but when I'll go to the luthier I'm going to set up a Dr sunbeams 45-100.

Thank you.

Depending on the neck pocket tightness,  you may be able to just loosen the neck bolts  and pull the neck slightly upwards,  and  re-tighten the bolts . It's almost no effort to try this and it might just work. 

Edited by MoonBassAlpha
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

Finally today I went to a luthier. The G string is too close to the edge.

He told me the sizes are not good.

Nut 1 cm between strings. Bridge 19mm.

38mm to 61'5 mm I believe I remember.

He said the neck in this bass should be 40 mm not 38mm (the constructor didn't tell me nothing about this possible problem).

One possibility is make a nut with 0'95 cm between strings and bridge 18mm. But maybe is only a quick fix cheaper than repeat the neck with the proper sizes, but I'm not sure.

What do you think please?. 

Thank you.

Run away from that luthier, because with his measures, it means that the two outer strings would be out of the neck. If the neck is 38 mm at the nut and that the string spacing at it is 1 cm, so 10 mm, then it makes 40 mm.

Wouldn't trust a luthier who is unable to count !?!

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

Run away from that luthier, because with his measures, it means that the two outer strings would be out of the neck. If the neck is 38 mm at the nut and that the string spacing at it is 1 cm, so 10 mm, then it makes 40 mm.

30mm - there are 3 gaps with 4 strings.

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

Wouldn't trust a luthier who is unable to count !?!

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 16/08/2020 at 18:14, MoonBassAlpha said:

Depending on the neck pocket tightness,  you may be able to just loosen the neck bolts  and pull the neck slightly upwards,  and  re-tighten the bolts . It's almost no effort to try this and it might just work. 

OP, did you/luthier try what MoonBassAlpha suggested above?

Once you've done that, the next thing, like people have said, to is to unseat the nut and move it ever so slightly towards the bass side.  Again, something you can do yourself if you take care.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...