Why become a member? ×

Needs a string retainer?

Radchenko

Hello,

When I pull off the open G string on the Bass with only two dots on the 12th fret, with almost effort appear those weird noises and the string move out the fingerboard (this Bass has no string retainer). With the Bass with three dots on 12th fret, doesn't happen even pulling really hard.

Is It because the string retainer or other options please?. Do I need to buy one string retainer for the Bass?. Thank you.

As you can’t see the nut in the second video, it’s hard to compare the nut slot positions compared to the edge of board. If they are the same, then as @Jean-Luc Pickguard says, some tension difference may be at play here. I also don’t think a string retainer would make any difference as you don’t say that it’s popping out of the nut. I’ve played a number of guitars and basses that ‘fall’ off the edge of the board when attacked very laterally in this manner, an MM being the worst offender. Moving the nut over a shade fixes this if it really is an issue.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I doubt a string retainer would make much difference - the string isn't popping out of the nut. Perhaps the strings are a lighter set so are at a lower tension?

The strings are Ernie ball superslinky (45-100). The Bass was made with this strings originally.

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, ezbass said:

As you can’t see the nut in the second video, it’s hard to compare the nut slot positions compared to the edge of board. If they are the same, then as @Jean-Luc Pickguard says, some tension difference may be at play here. I also don’t think a string retainer would make any difference as you don’t say that it’s popping out of the nut. I’ve played a number of guitars and basses that ‘fall’ off the edge of the board when attacked very laterally in this manner, an MM being the worst offender. Moving the nut over a shade fixes this if it really is an issue.

Hello, thank you for your help.

For me is an issue, I need to play very carefully in order to avoid this bad sound. I'm very unconfortable thinking "you are going to play on that area, take care..".

Thank you.

Sounds like a high fret to me... get something straight that can span 3 frets. Move 1 fret back everytime, starting from the nut. If it starts rocking you have found your high fret. I would guess it is setup or fret height going by the sound.

39 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

You are also pulling the string off the fretboard in the “buzzy” position. Maybe that is worth exploring.

Yes, but It is because is really easy. Almost without trying you obtain this result. You have to play really really careful to not happen.

Some possible solitions please?. Thank you.

Heavier strings, or higher tension string should help. But this can only really happen if the string is to close to the side of the neck, maybe the nut is not correctly made.

How many mm from the string to edge of fretboard? And do you have a picture of the nut?

• Thanks 1

Took this from your video, as you can see (unless perspective is a factor)that the G string is very close to the edge. But the string spacing is pretty even.

To me this looks like a badly made nut, where they got string spacing right but where they did not centre it correctly. A picture of the nut would confirm.

BAF7F78B-7D0C-4730-959F-42460D0760B0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I think I found your bass in another thread. Look at the nut.

It looks as if the edge of the nut on the E string side does not reach the side of the neck, leaving a bigger distance string to side of fretboard on the E And the G string is closer to the edge.

Is this correct? If so, I would make (or get) a new nut that is correctly made.

Whilst I do not understand why you do not have a string retainer on a headstock without tilted headstock, I think the nut is causing the issue.

4504A28A-E088-4E5C-B547-27E8F4030604.jpeg

• Thanks 1

To me it looks like the nut on the bass side (E) is not flush with the side of the neck, and there is some overhang of the nut on the treble side (G). If that is the case (I cannot 100% see it from the picture) I would try to reposition before thinking about replacing the nut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

To me it looks like the nut on the bass side (E) is not flush with the side of the neck, and there is some overhang of the nut on the treble side (G). If that is the case (I cannot 100% see it from the picture) I would try to reposition before thinking about replacing the nut.

Yes, looks very reasonable. Maybe 1mm.

Thank you.

IMG_20200805_163320.jpg

Hello,

Thank you. I sent to the Customer Center of the product the videos I showed you. They said that I have a standar Bass from them, nobody have problems with them.

Said me to send them  back to check It, but if there is no problem I must pay the shipping.

Firstly I answered that I prefer not to ship because it's dangerous, but after your opinions I am really dissapointed with the quality control of the Bass. I want to return It (paying the shipping or wathever), but I'm having no answer at all of them.

Thank you.

If you like the instrument otherwise, I would take it to a repair/set-up person and ask them to adjust the nut, either by re-positioning or replacing it. It's a simple enough and relatively inexpensive job. Ask them if they advise a string tree at the same time and get one fitted if they do. By the time you've messed around trying to return it, paid for shipping, etc, and chosen/bought another instrument, you will be no worse and maybe even better off.

• Thanks 1

On 05/08/2020 at 01:19, HazBeen said:

Whilst I do not understand why you do not have a string retainer on a headstock without tilted headstock, I think the nut is causing the issue.

The headstock will be tilted so shouldn't need a string tree. The tilted headstock and zero fret is a feature on most Maruszczyk basses.

19 hours ago, Radchenko said:

Do you think the problem with the nut is also because of the only 38 mm nut width?. Thank you.

This is mine straight on, also specced with a 38mm nut.

IMG_1292.thumb.jpg.976e9d438eb6fd6277c9942054eb219f.jpg

I can pull the string over the side of the fretboard if I try like in your video but it's never been a problem for me. I would try, as others have suggested, to reposition the nut and if that doesn't solve your problem you could try heavier gauge strings or get a replacement nut with the slot cut further in. If you don't want so ship it back this should be an easy job for any local luthier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1