Why become a member? ×

Remove indelible marker/Sharpie from headstock?

Bassmingo

A previous owner of my 2005 Mexican standard P seemed to be embarrassed about the basses country of origin and attempted to cover the "made in Mexico" on the front of the headstock with marker. It's never really bothered me until recently and I'd like to remove it without removing anything else, if possible 

Has anyone any recommendations?

When the Mrs was a poor student, we sussed out how to remove pen ink that the train conductor had used to spoiled her train ticket. Funnily enough it was E-Cig fluid that did the trick. Not all brands worked though. Saved us a good few quid on fares commuting back and forth to Uni!

• Haha 1

Hairspray for ink.

In the 90’s my mum and dad took delivery of two lovely dark green leather couches.

I sat down for the first time on one of these expensive items with a broken biro in my pocket...

cue farty pants.

Rang mum at work (dad would’ve reached down the phone line to slap me).

A woman at her work had just taken delivery of a 100 handy cleaning tips book by Kim and Aggie (remember them?) and the font of knowledge poured forth.

Handy.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Rang mum at work (dad would’ve reached down the phone line to slap me).

Was the precise opposite in our house. A neighbour loved to tell of the day l turned up on his doorstep, soaked to the skin and minus one welly. 

"can you get my dad please? But don't tell my mum" 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Or maybe it’s a mix of the two!

I'm serious, some things dissolve better in alcohol, a polar solvent, others better in white spirit which has a totally non-polar. Acetone has a different polarity to alcohol so it can work were neither of the others do.

Stronger solvents fall into the same classes but are more likely to damage the substrate. Those three will cope with most everyday challenges.

• Thanks 1