Why become a member? ×

Well, how much do we get paid then?

NancyJohnson

23 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Since their debut single came out the following month, I suspect they had already signed to Mute by then.

Yes they were.  It's a pretty well timed booking for the venue as the first single came out a week later, and Ultravox had just released Vienna.  I suspect most bands planning a release would have played for nowt

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Or @BigRedX has got the taste for more expensive beer

This is a bit simpler - I buy you and me a drink, if it’s the place in 1981 with 50p pints I’ve just spent a quid...

I know some places where I could get two pints for that, but I’m not sure we would want to go there!

9AC6455D-3974-4B36-9E85-7C843BF5FF1A.png

Is there a "not in Finsbury" smiley not go with the "Not in Milwaukee" one?

I fear that tying the price of beer to inflation is a mug's game, particularly where London is concerned. Nowadays I think you'd do well to get a pint for less than £4 in Zone 1, Wetherspoons and drinks promotions notwithstanding. Finsbury's probably a bit cheaper, being further out, but music venues have a habit of tacking on an extra premium for their drinks.

Does the place with 50p pints still exist (he asked, with a look of naive optimism)?

15 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Is there a "not in Finsbury" smiley not go with the "Not in Milwaukee" one?

I fear that tying the price of beer to inflation is a mug's game, particularly where London is concerned. Nowadays I think you'd do well to get a pint for less than £4 in Zone 1, Wetherspoons and drinks promotions notwithstanding. Finsbury's probably a bit cheaper, being further out, but music venues have a habit of tacking on an extra premium for their drinks.

Does the place with 50p pints still exist (he asked, with a look of naive optimism)?

I think theres a few places near me where I could probably get two pints of lager for that... 

There are upsides to living in London too I'm sure!

One evening in 1968 our three piece played 45 minutes at The St. Moritz followed by 1 hour at The Staircase and finished off at The Flamingo for 45 minutes, all in Wardour Street and we went back to Bucks with £95, 20 No6 Tipped and 4 bottles of Courage Light Ale.

Big time, eh?

36 minutes ago, Jazzneck said:

One evening in 1968 our three piece played 45 minutes at The St. Moritz followed by 1 hour at The Staircase and finished off at The Flamingo for 45 minutes, all in Wardour Street and we went back to Bucks with £95, 20 No6 Tipped and 4 bottles of Courage Light Ale.

Big time, eh?

We didn't get paid by the St. Moritz and it took days to get rid of the stench of cheese.

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 1

On 04/08/2020 at 09:56, NancyJohnson said:

More recently he's been posting up loads of old stuff on Facebook, some of it hilarious.  This one caught my eye...in these times of either not being paid for gigs (or even getting a free ice-lolly after playing some sh*thole in Worthing after driving 100 miles there and playing 45 minutes because 'it was good for our musical CV'), it was enlightening to see how much Depeche Mode got paid for a 45 minute support slot at The Rainbow in February 1981.

So it's been a few days........... do you have another snippet from Rusty to share?

On 04/08/2020 at 15:30, Lozz196 said:

I would have thought it a bit more than that. If equating it to beer, in 1983 when I started drinking a pint was 50p, so £50 = 100 pints. A 100 pints now where I live is around £400+. Not the most scientific way of working it out but it usually pans out roughly.

My first gig was in the bar of the hall of residence I was in for my brief period at university. It was 1976, beer where I lived was 25p a pint, the four-piece band was paid £100 = 400 pints. That's about £1440 now (taking it from the price of a pint in the same place). Wish I got that sort of money these days...

12 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

So it's been a few days........... do you have another snippet from Rusty to share?

Nothing for a few days, no.  He did post up a couple of things where a business he owned was fraudulently sold without his knowledge and a missive from Warner Chappel dissolving a contract and demanding return of an advance.