Why become a member? ×

So .... I'm building a bass

Angel

here I am reducing the wood depth with a Forstner bit. The body is too thick for my dad's bandsaw, and it doesn't have the best blade, so I have to help it a bit

LrNEb6I.jpg

Then I flattened both sides and got to the desired depth.

0ebccvp.jpg

Body shape sorted with template. Half done here. 

VJPx614.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

Pickguard in the same material as the markers?

Nope. I'm making a single ply white one. As I've mentioned before, I don't think that the final look I am going for is going to be popular. I may not even post the final bass pic!

Last of the recent jobs, shaping the end of the fretboard. A bit chipped away which was a bit annoying. I may fix it up or I may just leave it. My instruments are always to just be played rather than be perfect so I'm not massively bothered.

W6HlUPw.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I've been a bit lazy with updates, and I forget to take pix at times, but there has been progress ...

Basic neck shaping:

B4ZTbbr.jpg

A bit of a jump as I forgot to take pix, but it's shaped, varnished and tuners added:

Dt2QuZB.jpg

Headstock - router split a bit off at the top early on! Oh well, I ain't a pro and I ain't that fussy!

Oc6RtqD.jpg

• Like 3

I spent ages checking and double checking bridge placement and here I am drilling the holes. After all that I wasn't happy with the placement so I filled these and re-drilled new ones! bl**dy amateur!

1ovZdXU.jpg

This is the pickguard paper template stuck onto the plastic. Took a lot of faffing getting the shape how I wanted.

THtTzu1.jpg

And this is the basic cutout, done with jigsaw, files, sanding etc. I have now worked out and marked pickup placement.

FPprPnA.jpg

• Like 2

Pickup holes sorted. I also used this as a template to mark the routes on the body.

Iu8G2Ke.jpg

As the Precision pickup is under the pickguard I just routed it out freehand. I made a template for the Jazz pickup though. I actually made two, the first one wasn't good enough. The second one wasn't great, but good enough for me.

jiMGA7m.jpg

And here's them both done. Hopefully to the correct depth! you can also see where I moved the bridge back on this one.

BvglL4z.jpg

• Like 4

I've actually had the bass assembled a few times to try out around the house with no sound. I'm loving it! It's actually quite a wrench to pull it apart again and sort the next stage out. Dare I say that it is turning out better than I expected.