Why become a member? ×

SOLD! Vigier Passion II
£1700
Norway

Torbass

I might be certifiable insane, considering to let this go. But I've been playing 5-strings since the dawn of times, and this is missing one string. 😂  I just can't get my head around it!

This is the highly coveted second series with a graphite neck through. And what a neck it is! Every note rings out perfectly, and no dead spots. The electronics are volume, pickup selector switch, passive tone and an active sweep that works in conjunction with a 3-way switch that gives you 15db boost, neutral and 15db cut. Everything works as it should.

The range of sounds in this bass is mindblowing! Soundwise, this is the perfect bass. I have Alembic, Pedulla, several Marleaux, F Bass....but this is quite something special! So if you have a 5-string Passion , drop me a line! 

Condition....the neck is perfect. Not a single crack, chip or anything. The only things worth mentioning is a few marks on the body. I've tried to take pictures of it.
Comes in original case, and shipping is included.

20200803_204301.thumb.jpg.0c9503c08a7c36da3a803dbd2a24844e.jpg

20200803_204338.thumb.jpg.1a767a0e6b4b3ffe45259b89481f95fd.jpg

20200803_204351.thumb.jpg.f4687cb7b9884817c7c81835ac56f546.jpg

20200803_204626.thumb.jpg.a81226f1dceef2ed136a11407303bb3d.jpg20200803_204621.thumb.jpg.a3f169c40ec681fccf79c9743f9b90af.jpg20200803_204604.thumb.jpg.c23a8c2179fb330f7353667478436672.jpg20200803_204550.thumb.jpg.c3b608d8a1d264f777ce77e8324599b6.jpg20200803_204541.thumb.jpg.5569a661dc406599054c1ad2d84339b4.jpg20200803_204528.thumb.jpg.3db6716222d13ad5398fb4e826a6a563.jpg

Edited by Torbass
Sold
  • Like 2

Thank you! This is really with mixed feelings. This bass sounds perfect for me. But I do need that fifth string in most of my bands. If I sell this I will haunt down a five string Passion. But hope to trade. And yes, I do realise that the other series don't have a graphite neck and will not sound the same.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, itu said:

What is the serial (and the build time)?

Does the semi-parametric go upwards or downwards, when turning the frequency pot clockwise?

I have not found the serial yet. Any idea where they put it?
Clockwise raises the frequency.

3 minutes ago, Torbass said:

I have not found the serial yet. Any idea where they put it?
Clockwise raises the frequency.

Beep beep! Ped the Vigier expert here! 

Next to the strap pin in the bottom of the bass. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ped said:

Beep beep! Ped the Vigier expert here! 

Next to the strap pin in the bottom of the bass. 

Hiding in plain sight! What a clever thing to do! #325
20/11/1986

Edited by Torbass
  • Like 2

The neck actually goes up to the neck pickup. The rest is maple. These are light, stiff, and true high end instruments. Very playable. Benedetti single coils (some have visible polepieces) and the Vigier preamp offer lots of sounds. 18 V circuitry.

Schaller strap locks, tuners, and bridge.

Some notes...

First instruments Patrice Vigier made had wooden neck. There was even a model with metal in between the fretboard and the neck. Electronics were developed.

During the series two time there were two models available, Passion and Arpege. The neck was available with Delta metal fingerboard (fretless), or fretted with phenolic resin board. No front dots. Carbon fibre neck, no truss rod.

Passion had two options for electronics, the semi-parametric (as above) and another with interchangeable ROM packs (two visible dots in the top close to the pots hold the circuitry). The latter has two pots, a Vol and a rotary switch with different preset sounds. There were few different packs available. Some colours include black, burgundy red, green and blue. Later on there were also "sunbursts", natural, and some see-throughs available. I may have seen a silvery one with a ROM pack, maybe. HW is silver, black or gold.

Arpege has the neck pickup closer to the neck and a bass pot. There was a very special circuitry available, called Nautilus. Lots of pots and even a memory with a display for several sounds. External power box. Ultra rare. Ultra complicated.

Series III is a neck through, and since then the necks have been 10/90, where the numbers represent the percentage of carbon fibre / wood. Series IV is a bolt-on. Electronics and HW vary.

Most of the basses have 4 strings but there are few 5- and 6-string instruments.

You want one, buy this now. The next time you see one may take some time.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ped said:

A great summary. I’ve heard rumours but I’ve never seen a five string series II bass in over twenty years of being a Vigier fan. I don’t think they made them.

I'm afraid it's easier to find a grain of gold at a sandy beach. If at all possible! And that's a shame, because this bass as a 5-string would leave my other basses unemployed.

@ped , according to the lists, there are few.

I have played one see through red 5. It was in a shop and my intention was to buy it in 1994 or so. When I had the money, she was gone. I bought an MG Quantum 5 SPi. The MG is sold, but I do have a burgundy red Passion II 4-string from 1988, and an amberburst (or similar) from 1989.

Passion bass 5: 001 - 240 (the first few made in 1989 were with the carbon neck)

All of the following were made later, so probably these are only with 10 / 90 necks:

Arpege bass 5: serials 001 - 076

Arpege bass 6: 001 - 027

Passion bass 6: 001 - 030

@ped: take a look at this 4-string for the red colour I mentioned earlier. Note the bridge and controls and the neck!

https://www.bassic.de/kleinanzeigen/letztes-preisupdate-auch-tausch-vigier-passion-iii-1990.5147/

@ped but I have played one.

The shop had two new red instruments, a 4- and a 5-string. I have seen the 4-string later on and it was modified with a detuner. Full carbon. What was the 5-string then? Was the neck painted or...

This gets really interesting.

1 minute ago, itu said:

@ped but I have played one.

The shop had two new red instruments, a 4- and a 5-string. I have seen the 4-string later on and it was modified with a detuner. Full carbon. What was the 5-string then? Was the neck painted or...

This gets really interesting.

How many beers had you had at the time 😂

I don't know what to say except perhaps it was indeed painted or wrapped.. maybe a Vigier employee went rogue and made one by himself 'off the books'

Please @ped local lager is so terrible, there was a text in one local pub's toilet: "We don't sell beer, just rent it".

Trying to find that particular instrument after all these years is next to impossible. I may hunt down the boutique owner.

• Haha 1

Found this while browsing the internet https://onlybass.com/topic/29425-vigier-serie-i-ii-et-iii-comparaison-avis/

There's a guy called @ped writing... 😉 

I had all fretless models with the Delta metal fingerboard, even the Excess. Terrific basses, but I've always wanted a never made Delta metal sixer fretless. :crazy:

That said I ordered (many many many moons ago) and owned a Leduc sixer with a Vigier Nautilus preamp. I was a kind of unnatural instrument fighting with itself. I had to remove the Nautilus preamp that was acting weird and even Patrice Vigier admitted that it wasn't that reliable.

Like @ped, I've never seen a series II fiver...

• Like 2

Wow, They don't turn up that often, do Vigier Series 11 passion basses!! Alas sold mine, but I am in the very fortunate position of having a series 111 four string. You may regret this? If you have to, heaven forbid, that you ever have to revert back to a four string bass!!😀 Lol  Arguably the most stable best playing necks in all of bassdom in my humble opinion....That is one of the many reasons they do not come up for sale  that often!! Good luck with the sale of this beauty..someone will be happy. 😀👍

1 hour ago, wright/watt said:

Wow, They don't turn up that often, do Vigier Series 11 passion basses!! Alas sold mine, but I am in the very fortunate position of having a series 111 four string. You may regret this? If you have to, heaven forbid, that you ever have to revert back to a four string bass!!😀 Lol  Arguably the most stable best playing necks in all of bassdom in my humble opinion....That is one of the many reasons they do not come up for sale  that often!! Good luck with the sale of this beauty..someone will be happy. 😀👍

The neck on this bass is just fabulous! I've had 3 Status with graphite necks and a modulus, and was very surprised by the condition of this neck. They don't get any better!
And yes, I might regret it.

• Like 1

• MB1 locked this topic