Why become a member? ×

First multi track Audacity recording latency

uk_lefty

Hi, if the title is not clear... I've made my first multi track recording in Audacity today. I had used it before mainly for editing stuff recorded on my zoom recorder but I wanted to branch out. I've recorded a guitar track using a Blackstar ID Core BEAM as the interface, amp sim and effects. Aside from terrible guitar playing, it's great. I've added a bass track using the same set up but with bass amp sim and bass effects, it's passable but I'd like a more nuanced bass sound. Here's where the issue comes in. I've recorded vocals using a Behringer 4 track USB mixer direct in to Audacity while listening to the guitar and bass tracks via my PC and headphones. I can swear there's latency on the vocal track, it just doesn't sit right. I'll repeat the experiment but there's just something I'm not at all happy with. Is it a case of mixing the interfaces? Is this a common and known problem? Or is my vocal timing just shoddy? 

Any reason why you are not using Reaper for multitrack recording?

IMO while Audacity can do multitrack work, it's very much an afterthought and not the program's core strength.

Since you are recording via a mixer, if you have a spare channel then route the playback of your DAW to this channel and have it set for output only (i.e. not going back into the computer). This will completely negate the need to have to play with latency settings.

• Thanks 1

If there IS latency, then it should be consistent across the whole recording..... so why not just move the Vocal track a tiny bit at a time in Audacity and then listen to see if you are happier with the results.... of course, if your timing is dodgy as well, then that’s a whole new kettle of fish.  Best of luck with it.... I like Audacity for editing, but I track using an Akai DPS-24 and then export the wav files.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2020 at 15:55, uk_lefty said:

Thanks... I have downloaded Reaper but never actually used it, just a bit more experienced with Audacity. I'll take your advice on all of the above, much appreciated. 

If you can't get along with Reaper you can try Tracktion Waveform 11 (free version). Very easy to use and totally free or if you're using Windows you can get Cakewalk (another great DAW and totally free).

• Like 1

On 03/08/2020 at 15:00, uk_lefty said:

Hi, if the title is not clear... I've made my first multi track recording in Audacity today. I had used it before mainly for editing stuff recorded on my zoom recorder but I wanted to branch out. I've recorded a guitar track using a Blackstar ID Core BEAM as the interface, amp sim and effects. Aside from terrible guitar playing, it's great. I've added a bass track using the same set up but with bass amp sim and bass effects, it's passable but I'd like a more nuanced bass sound. Here's where the issue comes in. I've recorded vocals using a Behringer 4 track USB mixer direct in to Audacity while listening to the guitar and bass tracks via my PC and headphones. I can swear there's latency on the vocal track, it just doesn't sit right. I'll repeat the experiment but there's just something I'm not at all happy with. Is it a case of mixing the interfaces? Is this a common and known problem? Or is my vocal timing just shoddy? 

Not much experience with Audacity so apologies if a dumb question - but don't you just set the start point the vocal stem fractionally later to offset the latency?

53 minutes ago, Drax said:

Not much experience with Audacity so apologies if a dumb question - but don't you just set the start point the vocal stem fractionally later to offset the latency?

Probably. Just don't want to have to do it if I don't need to.