Why become a member? ×

Hello from Finland

MattiZ

Hi!

Found the Forum while looking for information on Yamaha BB series basses, read lots of discussions, decided to join. 

First started playing bass at 14, joined my first real band at 22. Left the band and sold my bass after the first European tour. Played guitar and did songwriting for the next 15 years, with no success whatsoever. Joined a band as bass player again in 2008 or so, then in a couple years got bored and sold my bass again. 

Next I got deeply into analog synthesis, collected lots of broken old  synths and learned how to repair them. Played keyboards (and samplers, and fx) with some bands, still do. 

For a long time, Fender Bass VI was my dream instrument. A former bandmate had three of them, after years of begging she agreed to sell me one. ’95 MIJ with better trem, handwound PU’s, StayTrem bridge and so on. Love it!

A couple years ago saw an old, badly treated Yamaha BB300, just had to rescue it. It did not make me a bass player again, but another BB, a BB1200S I found this May, did. Formed a new band with an old bandmate, been writing new material the whole summer.

Before lockdown I worked as sound technician at a club, also did some festivals. None of it now, been out of work since march. Which means lots of time for my own projects!  

Sorry for my English. Writing on IPad, autocorrect keeps trying to translate everything to Finglish. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Earbrass said:

Terve!

I am a big "Suomiphile", and a massive fan of Finnish music (folk mainly) and have been trying to learn the language for the last five years. Whereabouts in Finland are you from?

Onnentoivotukset,

E

Terve! 

Nice! You must be familiar with Pekko Käppi, and Joose Keskitalo, then? What about more experimental stuff, like Paavoharju? Have you heard of a very promising new artist/band called Eerolan Reetta ja Eroottiset? My current favourite new band is Vulvarutto - folk plus something I can hardly describe. 

I think you can find them all on Spotify. 

Cheers from Tampere! 

• Like 1

On 04/08/2020 at 10:38, MattiZ said:

Terve! 

Nice! You must be familiar with Pekko Käppi, and Joose Keskitalo, then? What about more experimental stuff, like Paavoharju? Have you heard of a very promising new artist/band called Eerolan Reetta ja Eroottiset? My current favourite new band is Vulvarutto - folk plus something I can hardly describe. 

I think you can find them all on Spotify. 

Cheers from Tampere! 

Sorry for the delay in replying - busy packing for a house move! Pekko Käppi is one of my favourites: I have seen him a few times, both in Finland and London. I am not familiar with the other names you mention, but will check them out. Other favourite Finnish bands and artists include Värttinä, Antti Paalanen, Esko Järvelä (especially the Epic Male Band), Maria Kalaniemi, Suden Aika, Tuuletar, Ulla Pirttijärvi, Vilda, Duo Emilia Lajunen and Suvi Oskala, Frigg, Gjallarhorn, Hyperborean and Sväng.

I have visited Tampere only once (for a Värttinä concert at the kesateatteri), but thought it was a very beautiful place.