Why become a member? ×

Help me decide - Kemper / Helix vs Class D

Giacomo

Hi folks!

I've been playing electric guitar for the last 20+ years with all kind of combination, head+cab, combos, helix, fractal, kemper, Blueguitar, etc

I'm currently using a Kemper Stage but I also have a Line 6 Helix HX Stomp for small venues (mainly use In Ear Monitors, but when needed I bring an Active FRFR - Yamaha DXR10).

I started playing bass guitar more and more in the last year and in september I will start playing live in a 4 person band (guitar+bass+drums+voice) and I don't know where to start from.

My current basses are an ACG Harlot headless and a PRS Grainger 5 with rosewood board.

I was planning to use mainly the HX Stomp, alternatively use the Kemper but is this enough?

When the PA is not good enough I see it can be a problem - is it enough to bring the FRFR with me?

Plan B I have my eyes on a TC RH750, but can I use it directly in the PA (and get better tones than with my current rig) or it is non sense to use it without a cab?

thanks!

I've done both the Fractal and Helix racks into some bass-specific FRFR and found it overkill. I'm Stomp > QSC K12.2 these days and couldn't be happier.

That DXR is an amazing little speaker by all accounts. Whilst I'm sure that, if any 10" speaker solution is up to the task it'll be that one, there are limits to what one small speaker can do for a bass guitar signal. If you're a reggae band, need huge walloping low end and rarely have PA then no, it'll not be enough. If you're in an indie rock band, playing with a pick, rounds and some grind to your sound and normally through the PA then it'll almost certainly be enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack said:

I've done both the Fractal and Helix racks into some bass-specific FRFR and found it overkill. I'm Stomp > QSC K12.2 these days and couldn't be happier.

That DXR is an amazing little speaker by all accounts. Whilst I'm sure that, if any 10" speaker solution is up to the task it'll be that one, there are limits to what one small speaker can do for a bass guitar signal. If you're a reggae band, need huge walloping low end and rarely have PA then no, it'll not be enough. If you're in an indie rock band, playing with a pick, rounds and some grind to your sound and normally through the PA then it'll almost certainly be enough.

that was also one of my doubt..

I might have to change the FRFR speaker to accomodate the bass, 10 inches is not enough for bass..

BTW, which presets are you using with the Stomp? any good one to reccommend?

Edited by Giacomo

1 hour ago, Giacomo said:

which FRFR are you using?

None as yet.  I use Helix into IEMs live, I will almost certainly invest in an FRFR when gigging resumes proper, definitely going to go for one of the Yamaha/JBL/QSC cabs 2 way cabs with a 15" driver for nice lows.

TBH unless you need the FRFR in order for the audience to hear your bass (you have no PA support for bass) or you regularly play with PA systems that have their foldback optimised primarily for vocals, then you might be better off with an FRFR cab that puts the emphasis on clarity rather than bass so that you can hear yourself without swamping the stage in unnecessary low frequencies.

6 hours ago, Giacomo said:

I might have to change the FRFR speaker to accomodate the bass, 10 inches is not enough for bass..

Again, that very much depends. Plenty of people gigging with a single 1x10". Plenty of people gigging with no speakers, I do that all the time. Well, before, you know, the world ended. You've talked the instruments in your band which is certainly one factor but that leaves out so much other information. What's the PA situation? Genre? Volume? Size of venues? What amps are the other instruments using?

10 hours ago, Giacomo said:

a 4 person band (guitar+bass+drums+voice)

Could mean 'Death metal in large clubs: 100W Peavey through two 4x12" cabs, 22-piece Ludwig, double kick drum' or it could mean 'low volume jazz in wine bars and hotel lobbies: acoustic guitar through a Schertler combo and a 5-piece kit played with brushes'.

6 hours ago, Giacomo said:

I'm afraid mine are all from scratch, but they're up on custom tone.

On 03/08/2020 at 14:30, Giacomo said:

I use a BF One10 for most gigs. But we are an acoustic band with cajon rather than drums. 😉

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Helix into whatever is around.... power amp from my bass head (so, clean power amp only) into my 112 bass cab with deltalite ii neo.... or my behringer B112D "1000 Watt" (actually more like 320 watts RMS, 160 continuous into the woofer, still very good and the woofer is very efficient) is my choice of the day (good sounding, very powerful, very good bass range, somewhat FRFR powered speaker.... kind of ideal for my bass/guitar/violin/keys/backing tracks/vocals portable requirements from helix or what not (has 2 inputs also).

The yamaha is supposed to be amazing....

3 hours ago, Giacomo said:

I found a 12 inches DXR12 and compared side by side with the DXR10, it's night and day, especially for bass guitar (I was mainly using the 10 with electric). 12 inches has less mids and if fuller

probably louder, too, with the same amplifier power.

My solution is the "bargain basement" equivalent...

A HD500x into the Effects Return of an Ashdown combo. 

Works for me.

I know for a fact that any gigs we play, the monitors are going to be rubbish.

Edited by Skybone

On 03/08/2020 at 15:56, BigRedX said:

emphasis on clarity rather than bass so that you can hear yourself without swamping the stage in unnecessary low frequencies.

That sounds like no fun :(

I am of course joking.