Help me decide / Give me a reason

Guest MoJo

Which P-bass is for the chop  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which P-bass should I sell

• The Camel Journey Bass
    • The Bass Collection Profile Bass
    • Neither -Claim temporary insanity

Due to a recent new arrival, one of my P-basses has got to go. I love them both for very different reasons, I'm really struggling to chose and would appreciate your thoughts. First up is my Camel Journey Bass. Made in Japan in the 1970's for the Japanese home market, it's a rare find in the UK. It's in very good condition for an instrument tha is more than 40 years old but, as you can imagine, it has a few knocks and chips, but I like that. It has a real history about it when you play it. Standard chunky P-bass neck with maple board. A blatant copy of a Precision of that era, right down to the tuning machines. Currently fitted with a DiMarzio Model P pickup and series/parallel switch which gives you the choice of subdued tradional P or full on rock monster.

camel800.jpg.c47a46db14b932b7f5059477fb61f32f.jpg

Secondly we have the Bass Collection Profile Bass (the Bruce Thomas signature model). I've not had this as long. It's fitted with a SIMS pickguard which corrects the misalignment of the pickup that seems to affect a number of these basses. It's in immaculate condition. Slim Jazz-like neck is as smooth as silk, topped with an ebony fretboard with perfectly finished frets. Tonally, I had the opportunity to A/B this with a recent US Precision and it was difficult to tell them apart

profile800.thumb.jpg.09ee9585dbc9951a80bad00eba0e3ace.jpg

I would keep both.

But if you really do need to get shot of one I voted for the Bass Collection to go.  You'll never find another Camel bass. 

But which one makes you smile the most when you pick it up?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bolo said:

Which do you pick up to record/gig etc? Neither? Are they just wanna have a? Sell both.

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

D. Sell both

Something I’d not considered. I was thinking along the lines of everyone should have a P-Bass in their arsenal but I suppose the BB414 will get close enough 

6 hours ago, Paul S said:

I would keep both.

But if you really do need to get shot of one I voted for the Bass Collection to go.  You'll never find another Camel bass. 

But which one makes you smile the most when you pick it up?

This. You can easily get another Profile bass if you miss it too much in the next few years. 

Looks like the Profile is the most logical choice for the chop from everyone’s advice and my own feelings 

57 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Sell the Bruce to me 😀

PM’d