Why become a member? ×

I've come around, full circle

Guest MoJo

1 hour ago, PatrickJ said:

I've never played a Yamaha bass but they get such love on here I'd like to give one a go.  My first acoustic and electric six strings were both Yamaha's and they were great instruments.

I have a bb414 which cost me £130 ish, and a Sadowsky HPJ which cost £2500. I genuinely sit and debate which one to use.

I’ve had something from every Yamaha price point (Started at a bb300 And topped out at a TRB5PII)

I will say, that because they’re so consistently good - I don’t get attached to them like I would a nicer fender or something, but it means I get to try them all...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I have a bb414 which cost me £130 ish, and a Sadowsky HPJ which cost £2500. I genuinely sit and debate which one to use.

I’ve had something from every Yamaha price point (Started at a bb300 And topped out at a TRB5PII)

I will say, that because they’re so consistently good - I don’t get attached to them like I would a nicer fender or something, but it means I get to try them all...

I think that’s why I’ve had so many BB414’s and BB424’s. They are consistently good but not so special that I’m not tempted to move them on when something takes my fancy. I always find myself coming back to them though

22 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

This doesn't bode well- I'm thinking of selling a couple of BB425s. If it just means I'll need to buy another pair in ten years, perhaps I shouldn't bother!

Exactly. Save your money. What colour are the 425’s anyway (asking for a friend 😂)

12 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Wow! Andy - that's a massive vote of confidence in the quality of the Yammy BBs. I think you've just dealt with any residual Sad GAS I might have had - does that mean I owe you £2k? 😁

On 03/08/2020 at 09:08, Happy Jack said:

Ah yes ... white, the new black. ;)

Exactly the colour journey I've been on!

But looking at those black BBs together, they do look rather good! I guess in another 11 years we may all be... 

AC/DC's 'Back In Black' at 35: Classic Track-by-Track Album Review |  Billboard

15 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

Some instruments just feel & sound like home. We can chase all the shiny gear in the world and still be craving what we had before. 

I have found my home bass (pun intended) and I don't intend to use anything else. 

That's what I feel about my own bass.  My Washburn XB500 feels right, to me - an extension of myself, that does not get in the way of my playing.  They don't do them in white, however, and I don't have a matching pair.  Yet.     

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Wow! Andy - that's a massive vote of confidence in the quality of the Yammy BBs. I think you've just dealt with any residual Sad GAS I might have had - does that mean I owe you £2k? 😁

At the minute @Al Krow £2k would be most welcome...

The Sadowsky is “better” and “Nicer” - recording wise direct into the desk...nothing can touch the Sadowsky Pre - now I’m using the blue Miller (with Sadowsky Pre) a lot this is becoming obvious.

But I enjoy the 414 just as much, and it’s an angry sounding thing.

Put it this way, I won’t be buying a Fender to replace it.

This is all in my opinion and I don’t want to upset any particular camp with the statements above. I’m sure everyone has their own take on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

At the minute @Al Krow £2k would be most welcome...

The Sadowsky is “better” and “Nicer” - recording wise direct into the desk...nothing can touch the Sadowsky Pre - now I’m using the blue Miller (with Sadowsky Pre) a lot this is becoming obvious.

But I enjoy the 414 just as much, and it’s an angry sounding thing.

Put it this way, I won’t be buying a Fender to replace it.

This is all in my opinion and I don’t want to upset any particular camp with the statements above. I’m sure everyone has their own take on it.

I’d be interested in what you’d have to say about the 414 into a Sad pre if you had/have a Sad pedal pre. Putting my 2 passive Maruszczyks through an SBP2 pedal makes them come alive and they weren’t exactly ’dead’ to start with. For something that, on paper, only adds boost @ 40hz and 4Khz, it’s an amazing circuit.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I’d be interested in what you’d have to say about the 414 into a Sad pre if you had/have a Sad pedal pre. Putting my 2 passive Maruszczyks through an SBP2 pedal makes them come alive and they weren’t exactly ’dead’ to start with. For something that, on paper, only adds boost @ 40hz and 4Khz, it’s an amazing circuit.

Don’t say things like that...I’ll end up buying one

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fabulous basses.  If only they were lighter! 😥

I went to a lot of time, effort and expense to get a BB5000 imported from Japan.  Was it better than the BB425 I owned?  yes.  Was it a grand better?  No.  And I actually preferred the tone of the 425.

Why can't they make an 8lb one!

57 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Fabulous basses.  If only they were lighter! 😥

I went to a lot of time, effort and expense to get a BB5000 imported from Japan.  Was it better than the BB425 I owned?  yes.  Was it a grand better?  No.  And I actually preferred the tone of the 425.

Why can't they make an 8lb one!

My BB1025 is a little over 9lbs. I reckon with some ultralites, that could be down to closer to 8lbs?

PS that black BB425 of yours is now (via me!) happily in the hands of young master @dave_bass5

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

My BB1025 is a little over 9lbs. I reckon with some ultralites, that could be down to closer to 8lbs?

PS that black BB425 of yours is now (via me!) happily in the hands of young master @dave_bass5

Even with Ultralites it would be closer to 9 than 8., sadly.  It was only taking out the bridge pup that made it nearer 8 and that kind of defeats the point.  

Glad the old thing is being used!  A good bass that, upon reflection, I could have kept as a backup 5er.