Why become a member? ×

Cardiacs - Tarred and Feathered Bass Cover

alexpea

RIP Tim Smith

This took me ages to get right. 

Recorded on my 1991 Korean Squire Precision Bass with recently added KiOgon wiring loom. 

DI via Sansamp Bass Driver

Hope you like it.

Alex

P.S. yes I attempted the outfit 

Edited by alexpea
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, alexpea said:

RIP Tim Smith

This took me ages to get right. 

Recorded on my 1991 Korean Squire Precision Bass with recently added KiOgon wiring loom. 

DI via Sansamp Bass Driver

Hope you like it.

Alex

P.S. yes I attempted the outfit 

Nice one. Just needs more make-up

Very nice work - I've spent the week going back trying to learn some of the basslines I gave up on years ago and good GOD was Jim an underrated bassist. I know the whole Cardiacs story is one of criminal under-appreciation but Jim (JIM!) is maybe the biggest victim.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobbass4k said:

Very nice work - I've spent the week going back trying to learn some of the basslines I gave up on years ago and good GOD was Jim an underrated bassist. I know the whole Cardiacs story is one of criminal under-appreciation but Jim (JIM!) is maybe the biggest victim.

Thank you! Glad you like the vid, I enjoyed making it. I’m fairly new to Cardiacs but already love Jim. Defo underrated. 

14 hours ago, alexpea said:

Thank you! Glad you like the vid, I enjoyed making it. I’m fairly new to Cardiacs but already love Jim. Defo underrated. 

Tarred and feathered is probably one of their more straightforward Tunes - A good thing to remember is that Tim played some of the basslines on the records (though Jim always reproduced them live), or especially on Sing to God there's a lot of programmed synths that weave in and out of the basslines. Have a crack at Insect Hoofs on Lassie or Horse's Tail if you fancy some fun. 

• 3 weeks later...

Top Notch! Playing any Cardiacs track is no mean feat, especially given the amount of work needed in transcribing and preparation, and that was pretty much flawless. 
  Further to Bobbass’s comments, yup, two great fun bass tracks to play. Currently trying to transcribe As Cold As Can Be and tearing the hair from my freshly shaven head attempting to work out the time signature under the ‘first verse’ vocals. I’d love to see the “Shredder” types who can play the usual bass-chops-heavy tracks have a go at anything the mighty Smith brothers wrote & played. 
   Great work Alex, hats off to you Sir!

Edited by dutchwife
Mistook OP’s name
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dutchwife said:

Top Notch! Playing any Cardiacs track is no mean feat, especially given the amount of work needed in transcribing and preparation, and that was pretty much flawless. 
  Further to Bobbass’s comments, yup, two great fun bass tracks to play. Currently trying to transcribe As Cold As Can Be and tearing the hair from my freshly shaven head attempting to work out the time signature under the ‘first verse’ vocals. I’d love to see the “Shredder” types who can play the usual bass-chops-heavy tracks have a go at anything the mighty Smith brothers wrote & played. 
   Great work Alex, hats off to you Sir!

Thanks! I’m working on some more Cardiacs but yea it takes a while to work out what’s going on. Yea it’d be interesting to see a shredder attempt one