Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

11 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

Shouldn’t a Jazz from that year and finish be Alder. I thought ash was only used for natural finishes around that time, which would make it heavier. My early ‘72 natural is over 10lbs. 

I think you’re right, I’ve read that they used Alder on their painted bodies because it took the paint better , especially on sunburst , ie ,it was less work 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I think you’re right, I’ve read that they used Alder on their painted bodies because it took the paint better , especially on sunburst , ie ,it was less work 

Yeah that's definitely alder looking at the grain. Definitely alder looking at the weight! 😄 70s Fenders and all that jazz...(sorry)

Interestingly it's a 2 piece body with the lion's share being one large piece, you can see the small second piece on the rear shot way off to the left. Almost indistinguishable. Tastefully done.

(I had a good zoom in on it because I'm a massive geek like that)

Some say that not having a timber join along the speaking length of the strings (nut to bridge) makes for a more resonant bass (Yamaha). I'd like to think so...

Pricey bass but in this instance I think it would be worth it...

Looks worthy of a travel to find out anyway. 

IMHO as always. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Oh my , how could you do this to a 68 jazz :facepalm:

78773B09-EB50-411F-A7EC-DDD20E799E49.jpeg

Can’t see the full bass in the pic... but has the headstock been reshaped into a Tele bass shape by any chance? Is there any Sharpie pen on it anywhere? Might explain how this would happen to a vintage Fender. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, meterman said:

Can’t see the full bass in the pic... but has the headstock been reshaped into a Tele bass shape by any chance? Is there any Sharpie pen on it anywhere? Might explain how this would happen to a vintage Fender. 🤔

I’m looking for one of these and was flicking through the pictures and then came to the one above 😁

C8BF0CDD-A1F8-492C-BB1E-0D0D9F168605.png

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m looking for one of these and was flicking through the pictures and then came to the one above 😁

C8BF0CDD-A1F8-492C-BB1E-0D0D9F168605.png

Ah, okay. I’d still be tempted if it was priced accordingly though. 

That’s some proper knife and fork work to undo there!

• Like 1

On reflection, I’d buy it and play it if the price reflected the butchery. It looks like the mods have been reversed bar the routing with a blunt spoon, and it’s all covered up by the guard. I doubt the tone is affected at all. Any repair attempt would make things worse, as it would need a refinish afterwards, and it would be pointless to rout the channels clean and refill with suitable wood without a refin. 

What’s the asking price, just out of interest?

edit: Is that the original guard? The routs underneath suggest a switch was added.

Rob

Edited by ossyrocks

17 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Oh my , how could you do this to a 68 jazz :facepalm:

78773B09-EB50-411F-A7EC-DDD20E799E49.jpeg

Probably because when it was done (I suspect in the 70s) it was just another run-of-the-mill, mass produced bass with no special value, and it's owner thought it might be improved by adding a P-pickup and switch. They may well have been right.

Remember also that the sort of tools that anyone even thinking about dabbling in customising their guitar or bass would take for granted nowadays were both expensive and hard to come by. When I built my guitar in the late 70s almost everything was done using hand tools and a significant amount of my time was spent sharpening chisel and plane blades rather than shaping any wood. Also it's all hidden under the scratch plate so what's the problem?

And finally no-one can tell how good an instrument is going to be simply from looking at some photos. Even without the very DIY modifications it might still be a dog to play and sound rubbish.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Remember also that the sort of tools that anyone even thinking about dabbling in customising their guitar or bass would take for granted nowadays were both expensive and hard to come by

I’m a joiner and that’s no excuse for bad workmanship 

23 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Also it's all hidden under the scratch plate so what's the problem?

Knowing it’s there would definitely bother me 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m a joiner and that’s no excuse for bad workmanship 

Knowing it’s there would definitely bother me 

But most people aren't joiners, and IME can barely wield any kind of bladed tool without making a mess. At least they managed to keep everything out of sight (although it would depend on how good the cut out in the original scratch plate was).

Whether or not it bothered me would depend on how good the bass was otherwise.

The other thing to remember is that back in 70s there wasn't anything like the choice we now have regarding bass guitars. If you couldn't buy what you wanted then would have to modify whatever you already had. On top of this there were very few people who would undertake this kind of work at prices affordable to normal musicians - most custom work was priced strictly for rock stars, so if you wanted something done the only way would be to do it yourself with whatever tools and skills you possessed.

• Like 1

...be it a spoon and your teeth... 🙂

I very, very nearly did a similar thing to a early/mid 70s Precision back in the day (I fancied one of those fancy Jazz pickups in it), it was, as BRX says, just a run-of-the-mill bass; the only reason I didn't was that I decided at the last minute to trade it for something else...

Edited by Muzz

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a vintage precision pickup for my 72 P bass which the previous took out and replaced with an after market set, anyway I spotted thes on Ebay a few months back and they are still up for sale but something does not match up. Any advice would be much appreciated..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204040274832?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=-YynQOF7TPm&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=3By1fIwJR72&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY