Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve been looking at some 1960s precision’s lately and I know the neck size changed from a C to a B in 67 ,  are all the C neck’s 44mm , was there any variation ? , I’m ok with anything up to 42 so I’m wondering if the 44 will be too much 

I assume the most important characteristic of the neck type is the nut width? I think the C necks will all be the same in nutwidth.

I've owned a 66 P with C neck which felt really wide compared to my other basses. Playability was really great though, but for my hands a slimmer profile is more comfortable.

• Like 1

The Precisions that I’ve played with 44mm (Road Worn & Classic 50s) nut width have been shallower/flatter in depth, so not too bad, the Road Worn especially was very easy to play even with dreaded music shop setup.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

I think the C necks will all be the same in nutwidth.

I've owned a 66 P with C neck which felt really wide compared to my other basses.

Thanks for that, Im used to jazzes so I’m pretty sure a C is going to be too wide for me, whereas the B is Ok 

23 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I thought all jazzes had an A neck, or do you mean the C profile, thanks 

“A “necks on jazzes but love the wide “ C“ neck on a precision,for 20 years I used a 64 p neck on a 67 jazz,I bought the jazz new a but unscrewed the jazz neck and swapped it with a used 64 p neck that was on the bass next to it,can’t see that happening in a shop  these days😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Will is very good to deal with, if you give him a ring he will send you all the detailed pics you need 

Cheers. I need to move some other gear first really, but the temptation to spend first and recoup later is strong.

I’m on holiday in Scotland at the moment, so I can’t really do much until I get back. 

Bass Bros prices seem very reasonable if you compare them to what others seem to be asking for 70’s Fenders, which is why I posted it up here. If there’s wriggle room for cash too, then that’s even better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

That sunburst is just awful - especially the back. However, great price for a mid 70s Fender (assuming it’s original) and it isn’t a boat anchor either.

I quite like that 70’s sunburst, but then I’m a bit biased as I have a sunburst ‘73 precision which I really like and it’s not dissimilar. The Jazz is 9lbs 4oz, which is heavier than I would like, but about my limit. Sub 9lb 70’s Fenders seem hard to find.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I quite like that 70’s sunburst, but then I’m a bit biased as I have a sunburst ‘73 precision which I really like and it’s not dissimilar. The Jazz is 9lbs 4oz, which is heavier than I would like, but about my limit. Sub 9lb 70’s Fenders seem hard to find.

That sunburst looks great to me and the wear just adds to it , from those pics it looks good to me 

On a vintage theme, I watched this the other day and thought that some of the  Basschat gang might like it so thought I’d share.

Tom Bukovac is a hugely talented Nashville-based session guitarist who also hosts one of my favourite YouTube channels, Homeskoolin’ (another consequence channel/project of the pandemic/lockdown).

Here he’s on the other side of the camera at George Gruhn’s place. Not a lot (well, nothing, really!) on basses, but plenty of conversation around the world of vintage…

• Thanks 1

I have no affiliation to this seller on eBay, I just thought I would share this.

’73 Precision, looks original, and it’s the same price I paid for my ‘73 earlier this year from ATB Guitars, except this one on eBay has the original case and mine doesn’t.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325234663345?hash=item4bb97f1fb1%3Ag%3AzlUAAOSwr3VinQj1&LH_ItemCondition=4

Rob

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I have no affiliation to this seller on eBay, I just thought I would share this.

’73 Precision, looks original, and it’s the same price I paid for my ‘73 earlier this year from ATB Guitars, except this one on eBay has the original case and mine doesn’t.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325234663345?hash=item4bb97f1fb1%3Ag%3AzlUAAOSwr3VinQj1&LH_ItemCondition=4

Rob

I like the look of that I think the neck stamp puts it to 71 but I couldn’t work out the pot dates 

Edited by Reggaebass

21 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m watching it, but can’t justify a refinished bass at that price. Does that C on the neck stamp indicate a Jazz width nut? If so, there’s still a lot to like about it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Does that C on the neck stamp indicate a Jazz width nut

No a 63 C will be 44mm , 

A = 1 1/2" wide at the nut.

B = 1 5/8" wide at the nut (normal size).

C = 1 3/4" wide at the nut.

D = 1 7/8" wide at the nut.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

No a 63 C will be 44mm , 

A = 1 1/2" wide at the nut.

B = 1 5/8" wide at the nut (normal size).

C = 1 3/4" wide at the nut.

D = 1 7/8" wide at the nut.

Ah yes, cheers.

Bass Monkey has just put an exceptionally clean ‘72 Precision up on Facebook today too, but I can’t link it here. It’s not on their website yet. That’s someone of this parish is it not? 

• Like 1