Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

30 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Hugely inflated, as per, but there's always room for negotiation/manoeuvre. 

It's a small closed-shop community and I get the sense they work together to set some of these prices. They certainly pass instruments around - a stack-knob Jazz appeared on Andy B's site for a few days a while back and then moved swiftly onto ATB, where it quickly sold. David Pym had a couple of Precision basses (a '66 and a '69) on his site for a few years (that, IMO, were overpriced) which are now on Andy Baxter's site (at the same price).

The days of getting a genuine bargain (or even a fair price) are long gone... 

I'm not sure. I bought a '73 Precision from ATB earlier this year, all original, decent condition, and a fabulous bass which a dearly love, for £2600. But it does look like, even just a few months on from that, that it might be £3k+ now. 

I love vintage Fenders. I have 2003 made Jaco artist jazz bass. I momentaly made it look vintage, refinished it black and road worn. I called it "red rain". I can't call it yet a vintage Fender, but maybe some 10 years.

Fender_Jaco_renew.jpg

Edited by nilorius
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

I'm not sure. I bought a '73 Precision from ATB earlier this year, all original, decent condition, and a fabulous bass which a dearly love, for £2600. But it does look like, even just a few months on from that, that it might be £3k+ now. 

I tend to agree, they've been creeping up in price over the last few months. There are a couple on ebay/reverb, one has a non-original bridge for £2,999 and there's a clean looking one from Vintage Guitar Emporium at £3,995 (although it's cheaper if you go to their website/shop)

43 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

I tend to agree, they've been creeping up in price over the last few months. There are a couple on ebay/reverb, one has a non-original bridge for £2,999 and there's a clean looking one from Vintage Guitar Emporium at £3,995 (although it's cheaper if you go to their website/shop)

Makes my asking price more than desirable ....

17 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

Makes my asking price more than desirable ....

I agree. Expecially given how forensically you've listed every component. Far too many guitar shops don't go to those lengths and still try and ask top whack. You can be 100% sure it is what it says it is (and far too many vintage Fenders aren't!)

What can be annoying is when not all the pics are there and it’s listed as all original, then when you ask for more info it turns out that it’s been re fretted, pots replaced, pickups rewound, replacement bridge, etc etc 🙄

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

What can be annoying is when not all the pics are there and it’s listed as all original, then when you ask for more info it turns out that it’s been re fretted, pots replaced, pickups rewound, replacement bridge, etc etc 🙄

Aye... I've seen a few of those recently.

• Like 1

I almost purchased a 63 Jazzmaster guitar from a well regarded guitar shop (Kauffman's guitars) here in the Netherlands. It would have been all original apart from a refin and an added string tree.

On closer inspection after the initial purchase the following could be added in the list of mods; replaced fretboard (really good job though, hard too spot at first sight), tuners, pots, 1 pickup, wiring....

I handed them back the guitar, and they weren't too happy. Actually they were whizzed that I took off the pickguard to check as it's so vulnerable. They accused me that the pickguard got warped and shrunk in the short time it was with me, because I took it off for inspection which I should never have done. Luckily I kept screenshots from their initial listing which showed that nothing had changed while it was with me. But they tried to pull me off... 

As for prices of old Fenders; you also often see it happen that sellers copy prices from other (reverb) sellers. Some add a little to that price as a margin, and after a while every 78 jazz is listed at €3500+....

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I agree. Expecially given how forensically you've listed every component. Far too many guitar shops don't go to those lengths and still try and ask top whack. You can be 100% sure it is what it says it is (and far too many vintage Fenders aren't!)

Perfectly put @Burns-bass I have a 72 P and the pickups changed, been resprayed and one pot changed but I knew this and it was priced accordlingly but still a gem to play 

If I were a young player Id be buying.. yes you need to inspect them and know what youre buying ideally direct from the previous owner or a reputable retailer

what one person finds expensive to another is fairly priced ...in 5-10 years time todays prices will look like a bargain..IMO

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, weezergeezer said:

If I were a young player Id be buying.. yes you need to inspect them and know what youre buying ideally direct from the previous owner or a reputable retailer

what one person finds expensive to another is fairly priced ...in 5-10 years time todays prices will look like a bargain..IMO

My feeling is that investment potential is the only rational reason for paying through the nose for a vintage Fender. Mojo aside, I think modern repros offer much better value for money as playing instruments. Just my opinion, don't shoot me...😃

Edited by Johncee
  • Like 2

If I were advising young players I would be suggesting if they have to splash out a secondhand AtelierZ, Shuker, roadworn fender or something, just play the thing, have fun making music and keep saving for your deposit on a house…

:ph34r:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Johncee said:

My feeling is that investment potential is the only rational reason for paying through the nose for a vintage Fender. Mojo aside, I think modern repros offer much better value for money as playing instruments. Just my opinion, don't shoot me...😃

I would agree.

4 hours ago, Johncee said:

I've thought about it, and even enquired about a couple, but I don't really know enough to be sure I was getting real thing, and I it's not like I have spare money I need to invest somewhere. In the end I went for a few years old AVRI '63 P, it has a nice mild relic (body only at the mo, needs a little bit more work which I'll do sometime), a bit of mojo and shouldn't lose money at least. It's different enough to what I've got (it's my only bass with flats on now, and sounds lovely with them) and I don't have to be careful with it and can play it and take it where I like, but... it's still not the same though. Maybe one day... I don't do the lottery though.

5 hours ago, Johncee said:

Get ready to be shot.

I’ve yet to find a modern bass that sounds the same as a 60s or 70s Fender bass. I’ve really tried because I want that sound and was silly enough to waste money on a house all and the trimmings they require. I have been lucky to A/B true vintage against reissues (even an 80s Fullerton jazz) and they just didn’t sound the same.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Get ready to be shot.

I’ve yet to find a modern bass that sounds the same as a 60s or 70s Fender bass. I’ve really tried because I want that sound and was silly enough to waste money on a house all and the trimmings they require. I have been lucky to A/B true vintage against reissues (even an 80s Fullerton jazz) and they just didn’t sound the same.

Buying a guitar or bass is always a personal choice, when I was young all I could afford was absolute rubbish instruments

there is always something to suit all budgets, I personally love the older stuff...

ps. bought a house first then much later bought the vintage stuff..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

Get ready to be shot.

I’ve had a couple that I would happily use as my #1 over my ‘71. But my ‘71 looks so cool and is an investment.

They’re just wood, wire and metal. It’s not like they packed special 60’s and 70’s chemicals into them.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, weezergeezer said:

Buying a guitar or bass is always a personal choice, when I was young all I could afford was absolute rubbish instruments

there is always something to suit all budgets, I personally love the older stuff...

ps. bought a house first then much later bought the vintage stuff..

Except for one fretless bass I’m very lucky to own I have two budget basses which are fine for now. Hopefully the bubble will burst with vintage fenders but folk have being saying that will happen for over a decade.

4 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I’ve had a couple that I would happily use as my #1 over my ‘71. But my ‘71 looks so cool and is an investment.

They’re just wood, wire and metal. It’s not like they packed special 60’s and 70’s chemicals into them.

I believe it was magic pixie dust

3 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

Get ready to be shot.

I found entirely the opposite. Old pickups are weedy, the basses are fragile and prone to break if you use them frequently (swapping a jack socket can affect value…) and they’re often more hassle than they’re worth to take out.

Sure, if I had millions and my own bass tech I’d gig my vintage basses but now I just use some of the modern FSR ones. 

I used to only play vintage, now I have a few of all types.

34 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I found entirely the opposite. Old pickups are weedy, the basses are fragile and prone to break if you use them frequently (swapping a jack socket can affect value…) and they’re often more hassle than they’re worth to take out.

Sure, if I had millions and my own bass tech I’d gig my vintage basses but now I just use some of the modern FSR ones. 

I used to only play vintage, now I have a few of all types.

I suppose it depends on what you want from the instrument. I hear a sound that I have only heard through the vintage Fenders I’ve played (more than I should have done). And because I don’t gig I don’t have to worry about it getting nicked or knocked. My thoughts on replacing dodgy or worn parts is that most don’t still have the original strings so other parts that wear should be replaced, ideally with high quality new parts.

• Like 1