Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

I messaged them and they were really good. One of the pots has been changed and the truss rod screw looks rounded.

They seem to have taken the owner’s word at face value on originality and changes, but aren’t vintage experts so I’m not sure how much of their description I’d trust. It’s not their fault. But if it were me I’d get an expert to advise them and then they’ll have the best chance of getting a top price.

Ive bought from Richtone before and they’ve been nothing but excellent!

3 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I messaged them and they were really good. One of the pots has been changed and the truss rod screw looks rounded.

They seem to have taken the owner’s word at face value on originality and changes, but aren’t vintage experts so I’m not sure how much of their description I’d trust. It’s not their fault. But if it were me I’d get an expert to advise them and then they’ll have the best chance of getting a top price.

Ive bought from Richtone before and they’ve been nothing but excellent!

I did too when I first saw it and they said it was all original, there’s a link to it being played too but I couldn’t find much about the band,  I think they might have investigated further now , I’ve bought from them also and they was really good 

3 hours ago, Sibob said:

Borderline 10lb bass from 1965? That’s fairly unusual no?

Si

Was thinking the same as the appeal of 60s Fenders, for me, is their consistent lighter weight and resonance. 

Doesn't mean there wasn't the odd heavy weight but it is unusual for that time period. 

Edited by miles'tone

I went into this with a vintage '74 Strat recently. The guitar was as straight as they come and near mint in the original case. Everything on the body dated it to '74 including pots etc, but the neck date decoded as a '71, which I thought was unlikely, but possible. So anomalies are out there. 

A '79 PB neck would be obvious because of the serial number in the headstock though.

Rob

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Could it be ?

01- precision

01- rosewood

batch number

4= 74 

This is where Hank’s error on a baking hot Californian June Thursday in 1976 is about to come back and haunt him - “I just stamped the 6 upside down for the year. It reads as a future 1979 bass! Ah, sod it. It’s not like anyone will give a damn in years to come…”

You know it makes (Fender) sense! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mowf said:

Could be

01 - precision

01 - rosewood

49 - week 49

4 - 1974

and then I'm out of ideas.

that's what I reckon it is. It's just missing the last digit, which would be the day of the week.

Can we see the headstock and tuners too please

45 minutes ago, police squad said:

that's what I reckon it is. It's just missing the last digit, which would be the day of the week.

Can we see the headstock and tuners too please

Now that you mention that, there is some glare on the right hand side that seems to hide a red spot - maybe the last digit?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vincbt said:

Now that you mention that, there is some glare on the right hand side that seems to hide a red spot - maybe the last digit?

Well spotted @vincbtI took the picture but failed to notice that there was a digit there and its a 4 which I didnt spot due to the light. If you notice that some of the digits have been gone over twice hence the blur. So I have a 75 P with a 74 neck 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, briansbrew said:

Well spotted @vincbtI took the picture but failed to notice that there was a digit there and its a 4 which I didnt spot due to the light. If you notice that some of the digits have been gone over twice hence the blur. So I have a 75 P with a 74 neck 

why are you saying a '75 with a '74 neck? Have you checked the pot codes? The date on the pickup too?

Just for interest.

ATB Guitars just posted on Facebook about a collection of guitars that’s just come in, including a ‘62 refin Precision and what looks like a very clean 1974 Natural/Maple Jazz. They’re not on the website yet. I bought my Precision from them and they were great to deal with, and the price was very good.

Rob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That ‘74 Jazz is now on the ATB website, it’s pretty damn clean, but oh the price! It certainly makes the ‘75 Precision for sale in the classifieds here look like a bargain. I’m sure the one at ATB could be bought at significantly less than the ticket price though.

https://www.atbguitars.com/1974-fender-jazz-bass-natural-near-mint-ohsc?fbclid=IwAR3PJs4X9rBvEOIbPIu6l9rY21E3TbPxXGtwxTt2ukRNEpNblPPHdpeeHhw

Rob

Edited by ossyrocks

25 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

That ‘74 Jazz is now on the ATB website, it’s pretty damn clean, but oh the price! It certainly makes the ‘75 Precision for sale in the classifieds here look like a bargain. I’m sure the one at ATB could be bought at significantly less than the ticket price though.

https://www.atbguitars.com/1974-fender-jazz-bass-natural-near-mint-ohsc?fbclid=IwAR3PJs4X9rBvEOIbPIu6l9rY21E3TbPxXGtwxTt2ukRNEpNblPPHdpeeHhw

Rob

Don’t know where they got that price from 

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Don’t know where they got that price from 

Hugely inflated, as per, but there's always room for negotiation/manoeuvre. 

It's a small closed-shop community and I get the sense they work together to set some of these prices. They certainly pass instruments around - a stack-knob Jazz appeared on Andy B's site for a few days a while back and then moved swiftly onto ATB, where it quickly sold. David Pym had a couple of Precision basses (a '66 and a '69) on his site for a few years (that, IMO, were overpriced) which are now on Andy Baxter's site (at the same price).

The days of getting a genuine bargain (or even a fair price) are long gone... 

• Like 2