Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

My original 73/74 Fender Jazz Bass isn't quite a sloppily routed as that one for sale.

The 70s reissues from Fender have neater routing - it would have been nice if the originals were as tidy.

IMG_7303829254151.JPEG

FB_IMG_1591945512891.jpg

FB_IMG_1591945507587.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marcray said:

I bought this with my first check from a paying band.  I was 19.  A 1962 Precision.  I’ve had other basses along the way that have come and gone, but this one stays.  It fits in my hands perfectly.  

F0891E98-BEC0-4428-9F69-2D76BAAA710B.jpeg

Oooof that’s lovely.

13 minutes ago, Marcray said:

I bought this with my first check from a paying band.  I was 19.  A 1962 Precision.  I’ve had other basses along the way that have come and gone, but this one stays.  It fits in my hands perfectly.  

F0891E98-BEC0-4428-9F69-2D76BAAA710B.jpeg

Beautiful 👍

On 11/05/2022 at 15:00, nilorius said:

I really like these road worn scrashes, if they are reall, they tell the story.

They are all real. The basses both have provenances going back 25 years. The Strat doesn’t, but has been examined in detail by vintage dealers and found authentic. The white 62 Jazz was bought from Randy Hope-Taylor and saw use with Jeff Beck, a few changed components but original finish, the CAR 65 I bought around 2010, but subsequently found out that one of our own members  @Kazan had been a former custodian. It was great to find out further detail about past owners and meet an interesting musician and gentleman into the bargain.

As you can tell, I do like a worn finish. Too much at stake with an immaculate bass!!

I always love how they can stick a price up like that and provide no details. Andy Baxter on the other hand provides about 9,000 photos of everything you can think of.

Some inconsistencies. Neck plate is from a 63, but control plate has recesses and pickguard screws, so that’s possibly swapped. Deffo had a refret as it would have had pencil thin frets and those are fat ones. Hardcase isn’t original. 

Probably worth a look but I’d take a proper expert (and a screwdriver) along before parting with my cash. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

I could have bought a well played 70's shell pink P back in '93 when I was looking for my first bass. From memory it was about 500quid in today's money but that was too much for my close to brokeness.

I could have bought an original signed Banksy print for £25 in a Bristol shop in 2002 that’s now worth about £40,000.

30 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I could have bought an original signed Banksy print for £25 in a Bristol shop in 2002 that’s now worth about £40,000.

I went to art school so we were all into our art and up-to-date on the current market. A lass on our course spent a fair bit of her student loan on a series of signed Banksy prints and I remember her being absolutely ripped to shreds one drunken evening by some of the other guys for both not being 'working class'*, and wasting so much money on rubbish graffiti art.

Years later she sold them and bought a house. 

* whatever that means.

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I went to art school so we were all into our art and up-to-date on the current market. A lass on our course spent a fair bit of her student loan on a series of signed Banksy prints and I remember her being absolutely ripped to shreds one drunken evening by some of the other guys for both not being 'working class'*, and wasting so much money on rubbish graffiti art.

Years later she sold them and bought a house. 

* whatever that means.

Similar story here. One guy kept a Banksy print in his divorce (“I always hated it”, his wife said). She changed her tune a couple of years ago, but was to late. 

There were galleries kf the ruff here in Bristol. Fair play he’s stayed loyal to the city.