Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

39 minutes ago, NAS Bass said:

I've seen this referred to as 'gassing

Thanks for that, now you’ve mentioned it I have have heard that term before ,but I thought it   Happened to nitro finishes or can it happen to poly too 

Haimesy bought a 70s jazz from a heavy smoker.  It was a natural finish jazz  with a rosewood board.

That bass looked like a mocha brown bass with a matching headstock  - due to the smoke discolouration. 

John actually disassembled the bass, and - using a LOT of elbow grease and t-cut style polish, he git it it back to almost "normal".

That bass really stunk to high heaven before the deep cleanse took place.

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 1

On 01/04/2022 at 18:25, Reggaebass said:

It just sold for £6,100 , not me 

30 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Not me either. Although… I had a crap day on Monday, and made the classic mistake of drinking wine then going on eBay. I was the winning bidder on this for about 3 days… talk about cold sweat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

If I had the time I would have gone and had a look, but it was up for nearly 9k first of all 

£6k is more than a dealer would pay. Given the swapped tuner, lack of a case and covers and the poor condition mean he’s done really well.

Edited by Burns-bass

5 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Tell ya what, if I wasn't miles away from Dorset I'd be checking this one out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265640537328?hash=item3dd968ecf0:g:VNEAAOSwbK5iVVgS

Ooh, that is nice. I would suggest a trip to Dorset, but it’s going to be mental down there with Easter holidaymakers at the moment.

20 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Luckily poole isnt a great place to visit so it would be ok!

Love Poole! You can walk for miles on the beaches all the way to, and beyond, Bournemouth in one direction and, using the ferry, to Swanage and beyond in the opposite direction.

Different strokes and all that.

On 10/04/2022 at 21:22, Reggaebass said:

After this “sold” for a lot of money, it has miraculously been relisted. I don’t know why people play games like this with ebay, it is now obvious it reached that price through shill bidding, so why would anyone bid on it again?

Rob

• Like 1

Just now, ossyrocks said:

After this “sold” for a lot of money, it has miraculously been relisted. I don’t know why people play games like this with ebay, it is now obvious it reached that price through shill bidding, so why would anyone bid on it again?

Rob

I spoke to the chap and he has a firm price in mind. Im not suggesting head involved in nefarious practices, it’s highly likely idiots bid then try to renegotiate. I advised him the price he wanted was far too high and level with that of a London dealer and he’d probably get half in a private sale. Seems I was broadly right.

35 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I spoke to the chap and he has a firm price in mind. Im not suggesting head involved in nefarious practices, it’s highly likely idiots bid then try to renegotiate. I advised him the price he wanted was far too high and level with that of a London dealer and he’d probably get half in a private sale. Seems I was broadly right.

I spoke to him too. Said he'd deliver it for £6500. Upon re-examining the photos I wasn't happy about the E and A strings not lining up between the pickuppole pieces (horribly so in fact), and I'm not convinced there's enough wiggle room of the neck to be had (looking at the fret markers and spaces between the outer strings and edge of the neck) nor via the threaded saddles. 

Hope that makes sense!

Decided I was out anyway...

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Rob

That’s my theory too, I’m always wary when private bidding is listed on eBay 

54 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

I spoke to him too. Said he'd deliver it for £6500. Upon re-examining the photos I wasn't happy about the E and A strings not lining up between the pickuppole pieces (horribly so in fact), and I'm not convinced there's enough wiggle room of the neck to be had (looking at the fret markers and spaces between the outer strings and edge of the neck) nor via the threaded saddles. 

Hope that makes sense!

Decided I was out anyway...

The fact he’d deliver is a good sign, so he’s probably confident in what it has. It’s always the issue buying through a private sale from someone who is obviously not an expert. You see the same bass for sale at Andy Baxter and assume that’s the price you’ll get. Happens with any collectible.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

The fact he’d deliver is a good sign, so he’s probably confident in what it has. It’s always the issue buying through a private sale from someone who is obviously not an expert. You see the same bass for sale at Andy Baxter and assume that’s the price you’ll get. Happens with any collectible.

Your absolutely right. He did seem like a nice person via the messages and also because he offered to deliver it to my house personally (I live close enough for that to be doable for him I think). Cash on delivery too which I found reassuring - no potential online payment skullduggery.

17 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Your absolutely right. He did seem like a nice person via the messages and also because he offered to deliver it to my house personally (I live close enough for that to be doable for him I think). Cash on delivery too which I found reassuring - no potential online payment skullduggery.

A more interesting question would be would he let you collect? 

Delivering and cash on delivery seems like a handy way of not having a paper trail at all.... 

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Pretty bass but unfortunately so much is unoriginal (paint, pickguard, knobs, covers). And a bugbear of mine, if trying to sell a pricey bass, at least put a matched set of strings on!!! I am sure it will sell nevertheless as its pretty and as Mansons have given it the once over.

• Like 1

I’ve often thought of getting a YOB precision, in my case 1973 but I would be scared to death to buy anything other than a bass that was either known to this forum, or from someone such as Andy Baxter. 😬

• Like 3