Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

Just now, Velarian said:

Thanks 👍, I’ve spoken to the seller and it’s quite a long way from me 

11 hours ago, Velarian said:

11 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks 👍, I’ve spoken to the seller and it’s quite a long way from me 

Ooh, that’s a nice one. Shame about the geographical problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve been thinking about a road trip, how does it look to you, i know the case isn’t but does it look all original , the seller says it is 

I dunno enough about them, I’m afraid. I owned and sold a well used, refinished  ‘63, but that’s as far as my expertise goes. All I really know is that prices for vintage gear seems to have gone up quite a bit since I sold mine (typical! 😂).

• Like 1

I’ve been having a good look at this (just out of interest). It looks pretty good and the seller sounds genuine. The only thing I was wondering was that the volume pot doesn’t look original but I’m not sure that’s a deal-breaker. Sounds like he’d be open to reasonable offers too. 

If it’s what you’re after then a road trip wouldn’t be unreasonable IMHO (You could spend some time in the Lakes too, which is a nice place to visit 🙂).  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

What age defines 'vintage'? I'm guessing '86 doesn't count?

I think it depends on  how old you are!

I think of vintage as being pre-1974 , when Fender really started to go downhill. Certainly, post- 1976 is not a desirable era to me. If I were twenty years younger I would no doubt have a different view.

I am frequently shocked by the amount of money some folks are willing to pay for mid to late Seventies Fenders considering what poor instruments  many were when they were new ( sadly I am old enough to remember😕), but as ever, the market dictates the price.😐

• 2 weeks later...

There was a post some time back about bridge positioning with a few pics and description of the bridge plate being mounted a little more forward... thus the saddles being a little further back, positioned more central.

When was the Ashtray introduced?

Maybe the bridge was moved forward a little to allow for the Ashtray mounting?

But yes string guage choice, and neck relief and action preference may all effect the intonation and thus saddle position a little.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

On 28/12/2021 at 13:07, Reggaebass said:

Looking at a precision I noticed the intonation was quite far forward, mine are mainly in the middle, what would cause this, would it be the strings 

String gauge

Action

Variations in dimensions of neck, body and bridge

Nut height

How well the intonation is set up

Always amazes me how two basses can have the bridge pieces arrange quite differently, when I set them up for similar action and adjust the intonation in the same way.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 21:54, Stub Mandrel said:

What age defines 'vintage'? I'm guessing '86 doesn't count?

In the used market it used to be accepted that:

Antique = 100+ years

Vintage = 50+ years

but both now pretty meaningless, along with “classic” and “rare”

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

’ve noticed that some jazzes and precision’s have had the truss rod hole plugged at the headstock,even though they adjust at the heel, any idea why they did this 

8EA00813-AC62-4AE6-901C-44D8CF4CD064.jpeg

I’m sure I’ve seen a video of a truss rod change and the guy drilled that plug out to get at the end nut

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve noticed that some jazzes and precision’s have had the truss rod hole plugged at the headstock,even though they adjust at the heel, any idea why they did this 

8EA00813-AC62-4AE6-901C-44D8CF4CD064.jpeg

You'll see that on non-capped maple necks, 'cos there's no board to lift off. Hence the plug & skunk-stripe.

• Like 1