Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Strange one here, it’s not for me but the frets above the 12th have been removed, what would the reason for that be https://reverb.com/uk/item/39514595-vintage-1972-fender-jazz-bass-natural-ohsc

1. So that the player can whip up to the top and play swooping fretless.

or

2. 70's Fender necks do a thing called ski jumping where the end of the neck kind of starts sticking up. My 73P neck has an element of it. The frets at the top have been taken down a bit and it is not an issue. Also I do not play above the 5th fret.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, owen said:

70's Fender necks do a thing called ski jumping where the end of the neck kind of starts sticking up. My 73P neck has an element of it. The frets at the top have been taken down a bit and it is not an issue. 

Ah yes , I think you’re right there Owen, thinking about it I had a few jazzes for a short while that did that , I could never get the action low enough for me 

5 minutes ago, owen said:

Also I do not play above the 5th fret.

Likewise 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

My '68 Coronado ll

iXIYWYU.jpg

AnQ4RN5.jpg

THAT is beautiful ❤️

I’ve only played a couple of vintage Coronado basses but they sounded amazingly funky. I nearly  bought a refinished single pickup one from a shop in Denmark Street years ago, but it had loads of non-original parts (tuners, bridge, tailpiece, knobs, etc) and the shop wouldn’t acknowledge the non-original bits or budge on the price so I left it. Gorgeous sounding instrument though. And yours looks fantastic. Actually have Coronado envy now 😂

• Like 1

It's indeed a very nice sounding instrument. It can sound very classic, but pretty modern too with both pickups engaged. My favorite sound is with both pickups open, with the tone rolled off on the bridge pickup. 

The tapewound strings were already fitted when I bought it, and they actually sound very good on this bass. I've never tried those before. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

It's indeed a very nice sounding instrument. It can sound very classic, but pretty modern too with both pickups engaged. My favorite sound is with both pickups open, with the tone rolled off on the bridge pickup. 

The tapewound strings were already fitted when I bought it, and they actually sound very good on this bass. I've never tried those before. 

Depending on the bass, tapewounds can be superb. I’ve had them on a few (mostly Fender) basses and love the feel and sound 👍

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got 2 jazzes with D’addario tapes, love em 👍

Last bass I had them on was a Fender Bullet, but I’ve had them on Mustangs and Musicmasters, and loved the tone. If I ever get another Fender, then tapes will probably go on it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, meterman said:

Last bass I had them on was a Fender Bullet, but I’ve had them on Mustangs and Musicmasters, and loved the tone. If I ever get another Fender, then tapes will probably go on it.

Yeah, it was quite a few years ago , but they didn’t feel great out of the packet , but once they were played in they just got better and better, I can imagine they sound good on a mustang 👍

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Yeah, it was quite a few years ago , but they didn’t feel great out of the packet , but once they were played in they just got better and better, I can imagine they sound good on a mustang 👍

On a Mustang, once the tension is right, they’re really good. My favourite was a yellowed out ‘78 Musicmaster that already had them on when I bought it. If it hadn’t weighed about 15lbs I’d have kept it, it was short scale dub funk heaven. Would still have one again, mind 👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Although I prefer jazzes, I’ve been looking at a few 60s and 70s precision’s lately, I don’t like chunky necks, so was there certain years or periods that would have a shallower or slimmer neck profile or is it a bit hit and miss 🙂

8 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Although I prefer jazzes, I’ve been looking at a few 60s and 70s precision’s lately, I don’t like chunky necks, so was there certain years or periods that would have a shallower or slimmer neck profile or is it a bit hit and miss 🙂

Look for an A neck P. I only know this becuase I totally fluked on one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Left field but could you get one chunkier than your demands and have a skilled person shape to preference?

I thought about doing that to a P I had once, I would only buy 100% original now , so I think it might devalue it 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I thought about doing that to a P I had once, I would only buy 100% original now , so I think it might devalue it 🙂

Get you on that - it was if the right but wrong neck came up if you get my drift, but I love a bitsa and you could always keep the ‘original’ neck to save value

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

For 60s, the the std nut width got slimmer around 68, when the logo and lacquer changes came in. Being finished by hand back then there are sometimes little differences in the necks.  I’ve played some very comfy late 60’s necks, 68 to early 70s could be worth checking out... but if it’s not an A, you may struggle if preferring Jazzes? A shapes are out there, you’ll find one 👍

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

For 60s, the the std nut width got slimmer around 68, when the logo and lacquer changes came in.

Thanks for that chiliwailer 👍, I feel comfortable around the 40mm mark, a friend of mine has a 74 and it’s 43mm , I know it’s only a few mm but it felt really big , and it is quite deep front to back 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks for that chiliwailer 👍, I feel comfortable around the 40mm mark, a friend of mine has a 74 and it’s 43mm , I know it’s only a few mm but it felt really big , and it is quite deep front to back 

Yeah, does make a difference. Good hunting for the A neck 👍

• Thanks 1