Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

6 hours ago, Stingray5 said:

Some of the sane guitars as this guy https://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/products/electric/phils-vintage-guitars/ and if you follow him on Facebook you sometimes see the rest of the stock in The background of videos so pretty sure he’s got them....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Some of the sane guitars as this guy https://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/products/electric/phils-vintage-guitars/ and if you follow him on Facebook you sometimes see the rest of the stock in The background of videos so pretty sure he’s got them....

That shop is not too far from me, on the other side of Oxford. I went there a few years ago with a friend who wanted to buy a guitar combo and had the cash with him. We were both in our 40s or 50s, but were treated like a couple of cheeky schoolboys. We asked if we could try a valve combo (AC 30, I think) and were refused, so we took my friend's wallet back to Oxford PMT and he bought a Black Star combo instead.

The next time I went to the Thame store was a couple of years later and I was greeted by the same chap like a long lost friend!

He does have some interesting guitars there, but not much for the bass player when I have been there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks stingray, it looks like they are uk based too, at Leigh on sea , I’ll keep an eye on them,  they’ve got  a nice 61 jazz , it’s a shame it’s been refinished 

Best thing is to give the chap (Gary) a call or email/contact via the website. He's had one or two stores in the past but is now based at and works from home.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Cheers, I’ve already emailed him 👍

I bought a ‘65 Jazz from them about six/seven years ago. Gary was brilliant to deal with, he brought the bass over beforehand for me to try. He also spent loads of time before I purchased the bass giving me a lesson on what to look out for when buying vintage instruments!

I’d phoned around a few vintage dealers before buying the bass and when doing so asked who else they’d recommend (not an unfair question!) and Gary’s name came up a number of times as someone to buy from... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

I bought a ‘65 Jazz from them about six/seven years ago. Gary was brilliant to deal with, he brought the bass over beforehand for me to try. He also spent loads of time before I purchased the bass giving me a lesson on what to look out for when buying vintage instruments!

I’d phoned around a few vintage dealers before buying the bass and when doing so asked who else they’d recommend (not an unfair question!) and Gary’s name came up a number of times as someone to buy from... 

Thanks  Old man Riva, 👍 that’s really good to hear, as I’m finding out , the vintage market is quite a minefield 

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

Another shout out for Gary Winterflood. I purchased my '71 Jazz from him around 10 years ago. I've had a few other non-Fender basses from him and each transaction was super smooth. He's very well informed. Last time I dealt with him he even brought the bass from his place in Sussex to my brother's in Essex. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks  Old man Riva, 👍 that’s really good to hear, as I’m finding out , the vintage market is quite a minefield 

It certainly can be, which is why it’s good to check around in the way you’re doing. I’ve had a couple of near-misses when buying in the past, but I genuinely feel that it was more down to people’s lack of knowledge and them not doing proper checks than any deliberate attempt to rip me off - that’s how I choose to view it, any road!

Have you got your eye on anything in particular?! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I bought something from Phil a while ago. Nice guy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Have you got your eye on anything in particular

Nothing definite yet, I’m looking at jazzes mainly, possibly a 62-66 white and tort with the dot fret markers before they changed to block inlays , I wasn’t really a fan of inlays , but saying that I viewed a 72 and a 74 I quite liked but they turned out to be not all original 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Nothing definite yet, I’m looking at jazzes mainly, possibly a 62-66 white and tort with the dot fret markers before they changed to block inlays , I wasn’t really a fan of inlays , but saying that I viewed a 72 and a 74 I quite liked but they turned out to be not all original 🙂

Did you see the guy in the midland on Facebook selling the mint ‘65 Jazz in sunburst? No idea if the price was good or bad but it wasn’t ridiculous 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Did you see the guy in the midland on Facebook selling the mint ‘65 Jazz in sunburst? No idea if the price was good or bad but it wasn’t ridiculous 

Cheers Luke , I don’t do Facebook ,but  I might get miss RB to have a browse for me 🙂

31 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Cheers Luke , I don’t do Facebook ,but  I might get miss RB to have a browse for me 🙂

“Dicky fountain in bass Players market U.K.”

ps - it might be way over priced - I have no idea 

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

A decent looking '64 Oly White, tort and white headstock Jazz at ATB currently. Been in stock for a while, I think on commission IIRC from my visit there. Possibly worth a look and perhaps open to offers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I recently sold my white 62 slab jazz,although it’s still here,and yes buying is a minefield.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

“Dicky fountain in bass Players market U.K.”

ps - it might be way over priced - I have no idea 

It's here https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/806605429912273/

Looks pretty good from the photos, and £8k's about right atm. Reckon that's a padauk fretboard too which they did on the odd bass then

Edited by bakerster135

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s mint condition and it’s unbound, very nice 

Yep, dots and binding in 1966 only, and blocks by the latter half of the year. You won't find a 65 with a bound fretboard, though some of the later 65s had the lollipop tuners and CBS "F" neckplate, which replaced the "L" plate

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, bakerster135 said:

It's here https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/806605429912273/

Looks pretty good from the photos, and £8k's about right atm. Reckon that's a padauk fretboard too which they did on the odd bass then

That looks as good as any l series I have seen, and the price does not seem excessive, but I’m sure the condition would put me off using it. My crop of pre cbs basses and guitars never see the inside of a case, often being left randomly around the house. That 65 is too clean for serious action.

This is my Fender Jazz bass,

I bought this some 10 years ago it was not in great condition it had been stripped to bear wood..so spend some time getting it professionaly restore

fantastic fretboard and good all round bass

Please note now sold and pictures removed..July 2021

Edited by weezergeezer
security
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, weezergeezer said:

This is my 1962 Fender Jazz bass,

I bought this some 10 years ago it was not in great condition it had been stripped to bear wood..so spend some time getting it professionaly restored

nitro repaint etc, people always want vintage guitars in perfect original condition, thats not always possible price and avilability are the main limiting factors

with a vintage refin you have the option the get the colour you really like if not you can change it , my option was bear wood or a refin !

she will be 59 year old this year (2021) fantastic fretboard and good all round bass

wont lose value like a new guitar ..new car or money in the bank, feels good sounds good looks good and is an exceptional player whats not to like !

in case youre wondering is it for sale.. make me an offer I cant refuse..😁

Enjoy the pictures...

DSC_0194 (2).JPG

DSC_0195 (2).JPG

DSC_0215.JPG

MAY 2011 001.JPG

MAY 2011 008.JPG

Looks lovely - when I was looking a while back there was a definite lack of player grade old instruments that I could find! 

8 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Looks lovely - when I was looking a while back there was a definite lack of player grade old instruments that I could find! 

I’ve found that too, and what ones there are seem to be really expensive compared with a few years ago, the all originals are obviously going up in value, so I’m guessing they are a good investment,  Out of interest, what are you looking for Luke 🙂

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve found that too, and what ones there are seem to be really expensive compared with a few years ago, the all originals are obviously going up in value, so I’m guessing they are a good investment,  Out of interest, what are you looking for Luke 🙂

Was looking for a P bass, 65-66 probably in budget, Earlier If beat up more! I found ppl would help with “book price” valuations but actual asking places would be far over that

• Like 2