Why become a member? ×

Quilter, Barefaced Mini Stack 😁

itsmedunc

I picked up a Quilter Bass Block 800 and two BF 1x10's last night. So far, I'm very impressed. The size of the stack looks a bit toy like and comical but it sounds and puts out like a pro rig. I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces and the comments from other band members when they first see it and then after they hear it 😂 Nice pairing of head and cabs. Great sound and farcical portability!

Hats off to Quilter and Alex, the brainchild of these mighty but tiny BF cabs 😀

896E4C78-B06B-4D3C-8021-910E4DA66CC2-8623-000009A096D5253C.jpeg

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Super Twin with a Rumble?

How is the Rumble with the ST?

It's not mine unfortunately . The photo is from the previous owner, fellow BC'er Geddys Nose. I'm sure he would let you know any details if you messaged him 👍

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Dunc, place the One10s on their side. Lowers the height but allows the base facing ports to extend the bass response out of the side of the stack. Believe me it really makes a difference. Enjoy your lovely, lovely rig.

Thanks John, I'll give that a whirl!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Dunc, place the One10s on their side. Lowers the height but allows the base facing ports to extend the bass response out of the side of the stack. Believe me it really makes a difference. Enjoy your lovely, lovely rig.

trouser flapping goodness 😎

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Turning the One10s sideways makes the lows less deep but thickens them up. Not better or worse, just different. Some rooms will suit one orientation more than the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, alexclaber said:

Turning the One10s sideways makes the lows less deep but thickens them up. Not better or worse, just different. Some rooms will suit one orientation more than the other.

I run two compacts on their sides, does this affect them similarly?

8 hours ago, stewblack said:

I run two compacts on their sides, does this affect them similarly?

Don't think so as the ports are front facing. I too occasionally stack my 2 SC on their side and I don't hear any difference. I definitely hear a difference when running my One10 on it's side. It sits on an angled Stagg stand and the bottom end just seems fuller and richer,  as if the port needed to be off the floor. Okay someone is going to say that I'm loosing the "coupling effect " that occurs when bass cabs are sat on the floor but the One10 appears to sound better to my ears.(which are 68 yrs old and were abused in the 70s while playing in front of loud two 2x4x12 stacks😆)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Don't think so as the ports are front facing. I too occasionally stack my 2 SC on their side and I don't hear any difference. I definitely hear a difference when running my One10 on it's side. It sits on an angled Stagg stand and the bottom end just seems fuller and richer,  as if the port needed to be off the floor. Okay someone is going to say that I'm loosing the "coupling effect " that occurs when bass cabs are sat on the floor but the One10 appears to sound better to my ears.(which are 68 yrs old and were abused in the 70s while playing in front of loud two 2x4x12 stacks😆)

A few points to add to this. What look like ports on the One10s (and all our 10CR models) aren't conventional ports - there's other stuff going on as they're Hybrid Resonator designs. Having the external resonator outlet (that thing that you think is a port) on the underside of the One10 results in a lower tuning frequency for that part of the resonator and a deeper tighter bass response. If you turn the cabs sideways then you raise this tuning frequency, giving fatter but less deep lows. Some people prefer this and it works better in some rooms. It isn't the default orientation because more people/basses/amps/rooms prefer the cab the other way around but it is a useful option.

There's a lot of mythology about the coupling effect of putting a cab on the floor. Actual mechanical coupling is almost always a bad thing (despite Orange claiming it a benefit with the skids instead of feet/wheels on their cabs). Acoustic boundary reinforcement is usually a good thing but that doesn't stop when you lift the cab off the floor - it just shifts from acting on everything from the low-mids downwards when the cab is within an inch of the floor to acting on just the deepest lows when the cab is many feet off the floor.

If your ears have had years of playing in front of loud 4x12" stacks then they're going to need all the help they can get! 😉

• Like 5

On 02/08/2020 at 12:23, fretmeister said:

How is the Rumble with the ST?

I run a Rumble 800HD or a Rumble 500 thro 1 or 2  Super Compacts depending on the venue. I find the Fender Rumbles very pleasing to my ears. They offer a great tone when set flat and have a very usable tone stack to create a wide variety of sounds. The latest 800HD amps seems to have flat tone that is a little more mid forward than older 500 design, but can easily tweeked to taste. The older 500 front end seemed warmer somehow. BTW the Rumble 500 paired with my single One10 is a lovely mini rig for some of the pub jam sessions I used to enjoy before the lockdown and can easily compete with the Fender Rumble 500 combo. I have to agree with @alexclaber that the One10 can shift as much air as a normal 2 x 10ins cab. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, alexclaber said:

A few points to add to this. What look like ports on the One10s (and all our 10CR models) aren't conventional ports - there's other stuff going on as they're Hybrid Resonator designs. Having the external resonator outlet (that thing that you think is a port) on the underside of the One10 results in a lower tuning frequency for that part of the resonator and a deeper tighter bass response. If you turn the cabs sideways then you raise this tuning frequency, giving fatter but less deep lows. Some people prefer this and it works better in some rooms. It isn't the default orientation because more people/basses/amps/rooms prefer the cab the other way around but it is a useful option.

There's a lot of mythology about the coupling effect of putting a cab on the floor. Actual mechanical coupling is almost always a bad thing (despite Orange claiming it a benefit with the skids instead of feet/wheels on their cabs). Acoustic boundary reinforcement is usually a good thing but that doesn't stop when you lift the cab off the floor - it just shifts from acting on everything from the low-mids downwards when the cab is within an inch of the floor to acting on just the deepest lows when the cab is many feet off the floor.

If your ears have had years of playing in front of loud 4x12" stacks then they're going to need all the help they can get! 😉

There is a lot of myythology about speakers and cabinets per se Alex and also some very good published on the subject of mutual coupling. Can say what myths you are refering to?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to rehearse with the setup 😀 2 guitarists, vox, medium hitting drummer. All went well apart from a speakon lead went down and like an idiot I didn't have a spare! Upshot was, I used a single cab with the Quilter and it sounded great. Plenty loud enough too! In future, it's a single cab for rehearsals. Well impressed. 😃

• Like 3