Why become a member? ×

Your favourite bass lines to play?

Angel

Some of my go to basslines are the Stevie Wonder tunes already mentioned, Rhythm Stick, I Want You Back, Disco Inferno, Forget Me Nots, Dark Necessities (RHCP, even though I generally dislike most of their songs), Pump It Up, assorted Jamiroquai tunage, all Chic and Sister Sledge hits, ditto KC & the Sunshine Band and this version of  Bowie's Secret Life of Arabia

• Like 1

As a former grunge kid, I play lots of AIC, Soundgarden and STP. Not so much Nirvana and PJ, interestingly.

Current fav's: AIC's "Man in the box" that I learned thanks to fellow BC member @Alberto Rigoni YT video. Thanks for that and keep on rocking 😎

Other favs: STP's Interstate Love Song and especially this one. I really like Robert' smooth basslines:

• Like 1

I suppose it changes but regular favourites over the years include an eclectic mix of;

Come Together - The Beatles

Move On Up - Curtis Mayfield

Sure Know Something - Kiss

London Calling - The Clash

and at the moment "Get Off My Cloud" (not the root note version that is all over YouTube but the way Bill Wyman ACTUALLY played it).

On 02/08/2020 at 21:45, Lozz196 said:

Too many by The Jam to name all, but Tube Station, Eton Rifles, Going Underground, Funeral Pyre and It’s Too Bad are particular faves, as are Pump it Up by Elvis Costello and Livin on a Prayer & It’s My Life by Bon Jovi.

My old band used to do Girl On The Phone and Heatwave from Setting Sons. GOTP was great fun to play with the B minor climbing to the D. I wish I had thought of it! :D

There was another song from that era called Turning Japanese that was fun to play too, but I cant remember who did it.

2 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

My old band used to do Girl On The Phone and Heatwave from Setting Sons. GOTP was great fun to play with the B minor climbing to the D. I wish I had thought of it! :D

There was another song from that era called Turning Japanese that was fun to play too, but I cant remember who did it.

The Vapors

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

The vapours, It is in my bands current set list and with the last band - thinking about it it is one of the ones I copied across. Should have also copied pump it up, used to like playing that one. Well, and the jam stuff but that wouldn't suit our band

Phantom of the opera - maiden

Something happened on the way to heaven - phil collins

st Jimmy - green day

a bit of a mixture - i know. 

Three songs that cover most of what i enjoy in playing. I had never really gotten around to playin slap bass well and theres lots of songs i would like to be good at playing slap on.
But im only a bass playin cub and theres time yet as im only playing 33 years.  🤣

On 02/08/2020 at 21:45, Lozz196 said:

Too many by The Jam to name all, but Tube Station, Eton Rifles, Going Underground, Funeral Pyre and It’s Too Bad are particular faves, as are Pump it Up by Elvis Costello and Livin on a Prayer & It’s My Life by Bon Jovi.

Pump it Up is my tune to play in a shop while testing a bass! Just need to convince the band now... 

On 04/08/2020 at 11:11, Woodinblack said:

The vapours, It is in my bands current set list and with the last band - thinking about it it is one of the ones I copied across. Should have also copied pump it up, used to like playing that one. Well, and the jam stuff but that wouldn't suit our band

The bassist from the Vapors was lack handed and his white 70s Rickenbacker with "Vapors" labelled case was on ebay quite a while back for a very good price. Sadly, still out of reach for me at the time. 

1 minute ago, Rettoglide1 said:

Currently i'm liking (I Can't Go For That) No Can Do by - Hall and Oates

And "Forget You" by Cee Lo Green

Those are literally the two on my main list for my new group. Except the I can't go for that is also the Ceelo Green one:

12 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Those are literally the two on my main list for my new group. Except the I can't go for that is also the Ceelo Green one:

Yea mate, that's why i like those two songs so much after i saw them on that show.......Brilliant versions- Live From Dary'ls House is awesome....and Cee Lo is amazing sing both those songs.

Edited by Rettoglide1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...