Why become a member? ×

Your favourite bass lines to play?

Angel

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, aint no mountain high enough, have been playing that recently a bit since it was over social media. Its a fun (and educational) line to do.

And then there's this 🙂

Respect to that guy for sticking with explaining it all! :hi:

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rich said:

Ska and reggae basslines are an absoute joy to play. My current favourites from our set are the Specials' "Nite Klub" and "Gangsters", The Selecter's "On My Radio", Susan Cadogan's "Hurts So Good", Rancid's "Time Bomb", The Toasters' "I'm Running Right Through The World" and absolutely anything by Bob Marley.

Have you ever tried doing "Watching the detectives" with the band, Rich? I always think it would fit well with The Specials songs.

Interestingly (to me), Andrew Bodnar from Graham Parker's band did the bass on that one.

8 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Have you ever tried doing "Watching the detectives" with the band, Rich? I always think it would fit well with The Specials songs.

Interestingly (to me), Andrew Bodnar from Graham Parker's band did the bass on that one.

We did consider it at one point, but one of the band has an irrational hatred of Costello songs and played their veto. :(  

10 hours ago, Rich said:

Ska and reggae basslines are an absoute joy to play. My current favourites from our set are the Specials' "Nite Klub" and "Gangsters", The Selecter's "On My Radio", Susan Cadogan's "Hurts So Good", Rancid's "Time Bomb", The Toasters' "I'm Running Right Through The World" and absolutely anything by Bob Marley.

When I dep with the ska band, ‘Nite Klub’ and ‘On My Radio’ are two that I look forward to as well as all the Madness songs they do: ‘Baggy Trousers’, ‘Night Boat to Cairo’, ‘It Must Be Love’.

32 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Irrational? I’ll say. Think I would have to play my veto and find another band member 😂

Irrational vetos are good. I have one on Oasis (although I would argue that is not irrational), which the others have been annoyed about many times.

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

When I dep with the ska band, ‘Nite Klub’ and ‘On My Radio’ are two that I look forward to as well as all the Madness songs they do: ‘Baggy Trousers’, ‘Night Boat to Cairo’, ‘It Must Be Love’.

Suggest the Rancid tune to them. It's great fun to play and our crowd go absolutely mental for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hellzero said:

As a fretless player : Wherever I Lay my Hat (that's my Home) by Paul Young, not that complicating, but you have to play with lots of feeling.

And another that I like to play : Papa was a rolling Stone by The Temptations. To me the most difficult bass line to play correctly all along. You can get lost if you don't focus. And there's a trap in the notes as most people play it wrong.

When I had a fretless I played in a band that did Don't Dream it's Over (Crowded House). Don't know if it was meant to be played on fretless but it really suited the song. Give it whirl.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Irrational vetos are good. I have one on Oasis (although I would argue that is not irrational), which the others have been annoyed about many times.

That’s because they are not rational

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Irrational? I’ll say. Think I would have to play my veto and find another band member 😂

I allegedly have a veto but it doesn't work. We end up playing loads of stuff I hate. It's called a 'bass player's veto' bye the way.

2 minutes ago, Japhet said:

I allegedly have a veto but it doesn't work. We end up playing loads of stuff I hate. It's called a 'bass player's veto' bye the way.

I don’t think I would stay around too long in a band that insisted on playing loads of stuff I hated. Is it the bass lines you hate, the bands they come from, the whole songs? 

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I don’t think I would stay around too long in a band that insisted on playing loads of stuff I hated. Is it the bass lines you hate, the bands they come from, the whole songs? 

I might be off soon but there's nothing else in the pipeline. I hate playing all the obvious songs as in if we do a Free song it has to be Alright Now. I've played that bloody thing for 30 years and I'm sick of it, plus Free did dozens of cracking songs to choose from. There are also bands I can't stand like Oasis. We also seem to be dumbing down to just churn out loads of utter crap like 'Teenage Kicks' because it's easy. I feel like an utter knob playing Teenage Kicks at my age, and saving the best til last - I've just been told to have a go at The Proclaimers 500 miles. Thinking about it, I can feel an email coming on!

18 minutes ago, Japhet said:

My Veto is 100% solid. OK, there are quite a few songs I don't like and I would rather not do, but my actual veto is inviolable!

6 minutes ago, Japhet said:

I might be off soon but there's nothing else in the pipeline. I hate playing all the obvious songs as in if we do a Free song it has to be Alright Now. I've played that bloody thing for 30 years and I'm sick of it, plus Free did dozens of cracking songs to choose from. There are also bands I can't stand like Oasis. We also seem to be dumbing down to just churn out loads of utter crap like 'Teenage Kicks' because it's easy. I feel like an utter knob playing Teenage Kicks at my age, and saving the best til last - I've just been told to have a go at The Proclaimers 500 miles. Thinking about it, I can feel an email coming on!

Well, we do some stuff like that, Oasis, luckily not teenage kicks as I have done that for too many years and never thought much of it to start with. 500 miles has also been mentioned. Crowd pleasers. I guess it depends on what else you are doing, whether it is interesting or not.

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

My Veto is 100% solid. OK, there are quite a few songs I don't like and I would rather not do, but my actual veto is inviolable!

Well, we do some stuff like that, Oasis, luckily not teenage kicks as I have done that for too many years and never thought much of it to start with. 500 miles has also been mentioned. Crowd pleasers. I guess it depends on what else you are doing, whether it is interesting or not.

I'm obviously getting old and grouchy. I did a dep gig a while back and we did stuff by people like John Mayer and Robin Ford. I really enjoyed that because it was a challenge and I knew the rest of the band were tight as a gnat's chuff.

14 minutes ago, Japhet said:

That’s a shame. It makes it very difficult when there’s a whole bunch of stuff you dislike. There is quite a bit of negativity towards Oasis and although I do think Liam is a complete kn8b at times, I love the music. A very good friend of mine has met him on a couple of occasions when there was no-one around to large it up in front of and he said it was like he’d had a character transplant. One of those occasions was in front of Noel and their manager! I still wish he wouldn’t behave like we see that he can, but I really love a lot of their material irrespective of him.

I once asked our (incredibly talented) guitarist ‘if you could be in any tribute band, who would it be a tribute of?’ and he said Free. That’s something we haven’t got off the ground, but I would definitely be up for that. I would have to play ‘All Right Now’ at every gig, but I could put up with that 😂.

I’ve only recent;y been asked to learn ‘Teenage Kicks’, so that’s a new one to me. I say learn, there wasn’t much learning involved 😂, but I’m over 50 and it doesn’t bother me. Never done any Proclaimers, but I guess it would go down well.

My only veto is - and everyone I play with knows it - is nothing associated in any shape or form with Marc Almond.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

There is quite a bit of negativity towards Oasis and although I do think Liam is a complete kn8b at times, I love the music. A very good friend of mine has met him on a couple of occasions when there was no-one around to large it up in front of and he said it was like he’d had a character transplant. One of those occasions was in front of Noel and their manager! I still wish he wouldn’t behave like we see that he can, but I really love a lot of their material irrespective of him.

Ah see I don't. I really don't care what they are like, I am not overly bothered about the relationship between a song and their artist, other than how it goes down with the crowd.

I just really hate their songs. And more so, the drunk pub crowd singing their songs.

I like free, I would't personally pick alright now, but to be fair, the rest of their stuff would be out of place with a general pub band. Maybe wishing well would be ok.

Teenage kicks was played by most bands I have been with, and in my last band we did a multi band event, we started with it, so did the next band and I think another band did it too. BUt again, not very interesting song, but it has the advantage you can go from not hearing it to playing it live on the same day so its a space filler. Luckily we don't do that.

I think in my main group we are lucky because for all the 'need your love so bad' and Cocaine (whisper quietly, we haven't played that one in a long time) and dull blues tracks, we have a huge range so we can do monkey man, take your mama, whole lotta love, money for nothing etc, so we can  we have quite a bit of Ska, Pop and also some just weird stuff

My motown group does the original version of tainted love!

• Like 1

I don’t play bass much at home, tend to play more 6 string then bass when rehearsing with my band. That said, on occasions where I am having a bit of a noodle I like something that gets me working across the strings. Midnight Train to Georgia is a particular fave, just genius from Bob Babbitt.

• Like 2

I've been playing lots of Clash tunes recently... had fun with Rock the Casbah, Stay Free, and White Man in Hammersmith Palais.  Paul Simonon mightn't have been the best technical player in the world, but his feel was great, and he was perfect for the Clash (not to mention he looked cool as fcuk on stage!).

• Like 3

Been driving tuther half up the wall with Suzanne Vega's Luka, The Black Kids'  Hurricane Jane, The Manics' Sleepflower & From Despair to Where & Olivia Newton John's A Little More Love. I only recently found out the ONJ line was played by Toto's then Bass player, David Hungate.